PDA

View Full Version : N/E bottlebrush bowl

turnerted
1st May 2014, 05:56 PM
G'day
Here's my latest effort.A natural edge(with most of the bark intact) bottlebrush bowl.Maximum width 150mm , height 120mm.Wall thickness about 8-10mm.The finish is DO.
When spinning,it was obvious that this is pretty close to a section of a sphere,infact I thought about using my hollowing rig on it as it was very hard to get a bowl gouge in there at a suitable angle.I finished up using a scraper for the lower part.I had to power sand the inside of the wings with the lathe stationary.
I now know why you don't often see N/E bowls with wings curled over like this often.
Ted

Hermit
1st May 2014, 06:16 PM
G'day
Here's my latest effort.A natural edge(with most of the bark intact) bottlebrush bowl.Maximum width 150mm , height 120mm.Wall thickness about 8-10mm.The finish is DO.
When spinning,it was obvious that this is pretty close to a section of a sphere,infact I thought about using my hollowing rig on it as it was very hard to get a bowl gouge in there at a suitable angle.I finished up using a scraper for the lower part.I had to power sand the inside of the wings with the lathe stationary.
I now know why you don't often see N/E bowls with wings curled over like this often.
Ted

Very impressive, Ted. I love that curled up shape. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Looks like you turned it and then bent it. Well done.
It illustrates why vacuum chucks are so useful, too. (I assume you used your's on this piece?)

chuck1
1st May 2014, 07:23 PM
Well Ted! I really like it! The bark stayed crisp on the edges. A very impressive peice!

smiife
1st May 2014, 08:10 PM
Hi ted,
Wow , what a great looking bowl
You have done well to keep it intact
nice finish too!

dai sensei
1st May 2014, 09:13 PM
Super result :2tsup:

Hope it holds without cracking

hughie
1st May 2014, 10:14 PM
Well done Ted this one is not for the faint hearted. How hard was the Bottle brush? I have some and its very hard so mush so I wouldnt fancy doing what you have achieved. :2tsup:

turnerted
2nd May 2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Hermit-Yep held on the vacuum chuck.
dai sensai-Neil not much risk of it cracking now.It was rough turned about six months ago.The only evidence of cracking is the hairline cracks that developed round the pith, now stabilized with CA.
hughie-I didn't find it over hard.
Ted

Christos
4th May 2014, 04:15 PM
I had done one similar to yours but the wings were not as high as this.

I will post a photo once I get it back.