PDA

View Full Version : Longworth Chuck

jay h
5th May 2014, 06:13 PM
Hi team, I had been having a couple of slight problems with my Longworth chuck, It was not sliding properly for one, no bigee just pull apart and clean being careful not to put more dust behind the centre "slip disc" than I removed. The second problem was a vertical split the full length of one rubber "gripper". So a trip to Clark Rubber to purchase 8 no7 rubber stopers ($10.40). In an offcut turn a tapered hole to fit same stoppers, drill bolt hole through stopper, slightly oversize ( rubber doesn't cut clean) and at 2000 revs? (faster could be better) and reassemble. Voila as good as new----- maybe. Jay

Christos
6th May 2014, 12:04 PM
Any photos?

jay h
6th May 2014, 06:09 PM
Hi Christos, thanks for the question; but no photos. It looks the same as a new one plus a bit of wear and tear. I was just letting everyone know where to get replacement grippers? the name number and cost. The cleaning bit was easy to work out, as was the tapered recess to grip the rubber stopper. drilling the hole depends on drill bit type and sharpness, take it slow drill slightly oversize at 2000 revs was my best result. Jay

jgilfor
9th May 2014, 12:13 AM
I had the same problem with mine. Cleaned it and ordered new bumpers through Amazon. They are not rubber like the originals. They are synthetic, and should not dry and crack like the rubber ones.

Tangoman
9th May 2014, 09:13 AM
I have found previously when cutting rubber it cuts very cleanly when its been in the freezer for a couple of hours, may be the same when turning ?

Cam

hughie
9th May 2014, 01:45 PM
I use rubber walking stick ends and fill em with a wooden dowel

Old Croc
10th May 2014, 10:10 PM
Jay if you do a google seach, you can get the flask stoppers pre drilled to take glass tubes for science experiments.
Rgds,
Crocy.

chuck1
10th May 2014, 10:10 PM
Hi all! Another option which I used was the bushes from skateboard trucks! Not overly thick but seem to be working well for me!

Mobyturns
11th May 2014, 08:17 AM
Freeze the rubber stoppers then drill or as me ole mate Croc says use "flask stoppers."

ps hope you are only drilling the stoppers at 2000 rpm :D & not spinning the longworth at those rpm :oo:.