PDA

View Full Version : What do you call your whatchamacallit?

silentC
17th June 2005, 11:45 AM
OK, this is the definitive poll on what you call that machine that has two parallel tables on either side of a spinning cutter head that you use to flatten edges and sometimes faces of boards. This wont prove anything other than what is the most common name for it and might help people who are floundering about wondering what to call it.

Driver
17th June 2005, 12:04 PM
I call it The Mother Farcquar because it's loud, ugly and objectionable! :D

Jack E
17th June 2005, 12:20 PM
It said jointer on the box, it's a jointer! :) :)

Jack

DanP
17th June 2005, 12:26 PM
Isn't it a thingamejig?

silentC
17th June 2005, 01:05 PM
Sigh :rolleyes: Once again a serious thread has been totally derailed by silly, flippant comments. You should hang your heads in shame...

Driver
17th June 2005, 01:10 PM
Sigh :rolleyes: Once again a serious thread has been totally derailed by silly, flippant comments. You should hang your heads in shame...

:p

knucklehead
17th June 2005, 01:12 PM
It's a jointer.

For once I gave a serious answer to the question. SilentC you still made me feel guilty however.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif

Boy its hard to type with my head hanging in shame.

outback
17th June 2005, 01:50 PM
Another thread that I'm not allowed to reply to, cos my answer will be construed as crap.

Life gets dull sometimes, don't it?

Cliff Rogers
17th June 2005, 03:30 PM
That was a crap answer outback, do it again & this time try harder.... :D

Jointer or planer.

Rusty green thing at the end of the shed.

outback
17th June 2005, 04:26 PM
Heh heh, you silly bugger Cliff.

Forest Gump
17th June 2005, 05:00 PM
I never though I would see the day when this forum became americanized.

Latest polling results 60% jointer and 20% buzzer.

How sad, another Australian icon gone down the tube. Buzzer, buzzer, buzzer, buzzer.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Daniel

silentC
17th June 2005, 05:21 PM
Nah, the seppos call it a planer. My Grandad had one of those old combo tablesaws which had what he called a buzzer on the side but I started calling it a jointer when I worked in a joinery in the 80's. No Americans there, I can assure you of that.

Forest Gump
17th June 2005, 05:51 PM
The machines that I have used and still use for that matter are probably fifty plus years old. I don't use the machine in a commercial sense anymore even though it has a 12 inch wide bed.

I sure if I went into most joinery shops in Melbourne and asked them to run a piece of wood through the jointer they would look at me stupidly. Whereas if I said buzzer then it would be no worries. Buzzer is probably more of a trade name for the machine.

It may just be one of those marketing names that someone has dreamt up to sell this product more easily. Jointer sounds better than buzzer.

Daniel

Ashore
17th June 2005, 06:08 PM
But the Melbourne grip of the language has always been a bit off
A dinkey for example is a toy car or small bike but not in MELBOURNE
A pint is approx 600ml but not im MELBOURNE
A footy game requires skill but not in MELBOURNE

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

DanP
17th June 2005, 06:11 PM

Yeah, bluddy Melbourne Storm, detracting from the real footy. :p

echnidna
17th June 2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah, bluddy Melbourne Storm, detracting from the real footy. :p
:D

Kev Y.
17th June 2005, 06:19 PM
I went for BUZZER, but have been known to describe it as an upside down plane, THEN the light goes on... :p

Gumby
17th June 2005, 06:20 PM
Flat topped Buzzy Jointer/planer

ribot
17th June 2005, 06:21 PM
Guinea pig bedding machine

Grunt
17th June 2005, 06:29 PM
It's called a jointer because it rips your fingers off down to the joints.

Forest Gump
17th June 2005, 06:34 PM
Old woodworking machines

http://www.owwm.com/

It appears that Jointers have been around for a long time in America. Go to the link below and do a search for jointer or jointers.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/browse.asp?by=A

This company made machinery both under their own name (sometimes abbreviated AM&T or AMT) and for Craftsman; Craftsman machines made by AMT have the model-number prefix of 149.

Trademark filing shows first use in 1928, and lists some woodworking machines in its product list: jointers, planers, shapers, routers, saws, lathes, drill presses, sanders, and dovetail cutters. Some of these machines may have been for metalworking only.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=1046

From an ad in an 1896 issue of "The Wood-Worker". The ad shows a jointer, perhaps a 12".

Ashore
17th June 2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah, bluddy Melbourne Storm, detracting from the real footy. :pNot only that their winning which is unforgivable
We should never have exported the game to the underprivilaged states

echnidna
17th June 2005, 06:49 PM
Well then take it back

Ashore
17th June 2005, 06:58 PM
If it is a jointer then do we rename the electric planer as a hand held jointer to be used upside down
or was it a typo and should have been jointure meaning a joining union which is also an estate settled on a wife to be taken by her in lieu of dower
so if you split up does she get the jointer as a jointure

ozwinner
17th June 2005, 06:59 PM
But the Melbourne grip of the language has always been a bit off
A dinkey for example is a toy car or small bike but not in MELBOURNE
A pint is approx 600ml but not im MELBOURNE

Suffering from salt fever again I see!!
Dont worry itll soon pass......

Al :D

echnidna
17th June 2005, 07:08 PM
If it is a jointer then do we rename the electric planer as a hand held jointer to be used upside down
or was it a typo and should have been jointure meaning a joining union which is also an estate settled on a wife to be taken by her in lieu of dower
so if you split up does she get the jointer as a jointure

naaa she can have the electric plane :D

E. maculata
17th June 2005, 07:15 PM
I always thought "buzzer" was the yankee term, it turns out it was just those bleedin mexicans mussin with all our wording and terms again :rolleyes: bleedin typical ain't it :D

Harry72
17th June 2005, 10:43 PM
Well Im calling mine "the square it up jigger"

vsquizz
17th June 2005, 10:48 PM
A Stanley No 7 has been called a jointer for a long long time. When I was an apprentice the old shipwrights called the powered version an electric jointer or just a jointer because they used it for exactly the same purpose they used a No 7....if that makes sense:confused: ...The guy at Timbecon always calls it a buzzer;) but it just doesn't sound right!...Its a jointer...................well thats just my three bobs worth anyway:o .....and I need a new one right away:D .....is she online tonight??

Cheers

Grunt
17th June 2005, 10:55 PM
What do you call your whatchamacallit?

Aren't we a little old to be giving parts of our anatomies names?

Sir Stinkalot
17th June 2005, 11:02 PM
Aren't we a little old to be giving parts of our anatomies names?

Perhaps a little old ..... but deninately not mature enough :)

Caliban
18th June 2005, 12:22 AM
I call a jointer a jointer, unless I'm talking to someone other than myself, then I invariably think "jointer" but say "thicknesser". Probably just old age creeping in twenty years prematurely.

boban
18th June 2005, 02:03 AM
Well then take it back
We will if you will....its off to Sth Melbourne they go......

ryanarcher
18th June 2005, 04:13 PM
Nah, the seppos call it a planer

Nah, they're all jointers over here. i think the brits have got it right :eek: calling jointers planers and planers (in yank speak) thicknessers.

Caliban
18th June 2005, 05:11 PM
A Stanley No 7 has been called a jointer for a long long time. When I was an apprentice the old shipwrights called the powered version an electric jointer or just a jointer because they used it for exactly the same purpose they used a No 7....if that makes sense:confused: ...The guy at Timbecon always calls it a buzzer;) but it just doesn't sound right!...Its a jointer...................well thats just my three bobs worth anyway:o .....and I need a new one right away:D .....is she online tonight??

Cheers
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

powderpost
18th June 2005, 11:09 PM
I call it a surface planer, shortened to surfacer, because it's purpose in life is to straighten and square timber that is twisted, sprung, bowed and generally screwed up before the timber is dressed for final use.
Jim

ernknot
19th June 2005, 08:36 PM
I said Jointer because that's whats on the machine - 6" Professional Jointer.

echnidna
19th June 2005, 10:03 PM
This thread has gone a little stale, must need a hijack!!!
hmmmm.

I call my whatchamacallit Willy :D :D

Sturdee
19th June 2005, 10:17 PM
This thread has gone a little stale, must need a hijack!!!
hmmmm.

I call my whatchamacallit Willy :D :D

Is that a Willy Willy or a Silly Willy or a Willy Nilly? :D :D :D

Peter.

Cliff Rogers
19th June 2005, 11:13 PM
Get a grip....:D

Waldo
20th June 2005, 11:03 AM
G'day,

Have a 6" surface planer from my Grandad, my dad-in-law calls it a 6" buzzer - but then he says lAy-SIR (two distinct sylables with an emphasis on the sir) whereas we all say laser.

I'm right, he's wrong :D

Iain
20th June 2005, 02:38 PM
Which started as an acronym but is now a word
Light
Amplification by
Stimulated
Emission of
Radiation

Lay Sur :D :D
And it's a GMC Jointer if it has one :rolleyes:

echnidna
20th June 2005, 03:47 PM
Which started as an acronym but is now a word
Light
Amplification by
Stimulated
Emission of
Radiation

Lay Sur :D :D
And it's a GMC Jointer if it has one :rolleyes:

My GMC thicknesser musta bin old stock - it don't have a laser
:D :D

silentC
20th June 2005, 03:50 PM
Nah, they're all jointers over here. i think the brits have got it right :eek: calling jointers planers and planers (in yank speak) thicknessers.
OK, I stand corrected. They call thicknessers 'planers'. Silly buggers :p

I've yet to meet anyone who calls them buzzers up here in NSW, so maybe that's a Mexican term? I must admit NSW is where I first came into contact with them. I picked 'jointer' up from a joinery here and it was what they called them at another place I worked in Sydney. After that it just stuck.

Waldo
20th June 2005, 04:13 PM
G'day SilenC,

Don't you know Mexico is south of the Qld border? Not south of the NSW border. Down here in Vic I call it Antartica because it's so damn cold. My Dad-in-law is a Yit, Cockroach or Mexican - call him what you will. Me, I'm a Qldr by birth.

silentC
20th June 2005, 04:18 PM
I was born in Vic but went to school in NSW. On my first day there I found out that kids from Vic were called Spics. Later I found out this was what Yanks call Mexicans. If I'd have known your information then, I could have corrected them. I'm sure that would've worked ;)

Waldo
20th June 2005, 04:22 PM
G'day SilentC,

Sounds like we were all taught conflicting things in Geography. :D

Iain
20th June 2005, 04:26 PM
I started out in WA (Kalamunda) but saw the light and moved east, lived in most states at some stage but always gravitated back to Vic.

echnidna
20th June 2005, 04:40 PM
Vic is definately the best place to live, longas yer keep outa the cities.

Feel sorry for the northeners who have never experienced the sheer pleasure of an open fireplace stoked up with a heap of logs.

Waldo
20th June 2005, 04:44 PM
G'day Looks like the thread has been highjacked re: where we live.

May I catagorically say that after been a resident of three states that there is only one state to live in - Queensland. :D

If I could I'd pack my house and shed and move back on up, but I have a good business going on down here and there's no hope in hell I'd get my wife to move - damn it!

Woodlice
21st June 2005, 10:47 PM
The jointer gets called the "mother-in-law" cause it whines like the dragon lady I have the misfortune of knowing.