PDA

View Full Version : A new segmented job

powderpost
8th May 2014, 11:48 AM
Along the road of producing something half decent for the Australian Woodturning Exhibition, there were a few failures. This is one of them, a trial version that didn't quite hit the mark, but I learned a few little tricks along the way that led to a satisfactory piece. This one measures 180mm diameter and about 90mm high. The top part is made from Northern silky oak and back walnut. The bottom was made from white beech. Finished with some sanding sealer and a couple of sprayed coats of lacquer and buffed up with Ubeauts' EEE. Cand C always welcome.

Jim

Ilya
8th May 2014, 12:44 PM
Looks very nice! How do you design these segmented turned items? This is on my 'to learn' list, but each time I start thinking about designing, my head starts spinning :stars:

PLD
8th May 2014, 01:23 PM
That is very beautiful and unique. Certainly one to be very proud of!:2tsup: I too cannot figure out how you segment pros come up with these designs.

Hermit
8th May 2014, 01:27 PM
Very, very nice, Jim. :2tsup:
And you call this a failure? :no:

I'm getting the hang of the basics of segmenting, but stuff like those curved pieces in the top still leave me scratching my head.

elderly
8th May 2014, 01:46 PM
What you consider a fail most of us we be more than happy if we could get anywhere near that standard.
Cheers Frank.

smiife
8th May 2014, 08:44 PM
Hi jim
Well if thats a failure I can, t wait to see
what you make for AWTEX
Looks good, well done

powderpost
8th May 2014, 09:05 PM
How do you design these segmented turned items?
Nothing like a session with a rum bottle to stir things up.. :wink: :D
Jim

coffenup
8th May 2014, 09:20 PM
What you consider a fail most of us we be more than happy if we could get anywhere near that standard.
Cheers Frank.
:iagree:
Jim
another great job
regards Michael

TTIT
8th May 2014, 09:23 PM
I think I can see why you considered it unworthy of the competition but I'm sure those tiny discrepencies wouldn't have put me off voting for it! Very nice looking piece (for a glue-up :; ) :2tsup::2tsup:

artful bodger
8th May 2014, 09:38 PM
Nothing like a session with a rum bottle to stir things up.. :wink: :D
Jim

Perhaps you might be interested in a bottle of my homemade "Parsnip Champagne" Jim? To really stir things up.
Cheers
AB

powderpost
8th May 2014, 10:00 PM
Perhaps you might be interested in a bottle of my homemade "Parsnip Champagne" Jim? To really stir things up.
Cheers
AB
Now that sounds like a plan.. :D. Maybe we could come up with a collaboration? :cheers2:

Jim

Mobyturns
8th May 2014, 11:20 PM
I think I can see why you considered it unworthy of the competition but I'm sure those tiny discrepencies wouldn't have put me off voting for it! Very nice looking piece (for a glue-up :; ) :2tsup::2tsup:

We could be critical and go along with your thoughts of :booboo: but we wouldn't be so unkind. So I'll stick with :whs:.

Seriously its hard being too self critical but I feel its well worth it. #5 in a row? :fingerscrossed:

Dalboy
9th May 2014, 01:11 AM
If this is a failure I would not mind failing a few times:o. This looks great, maybe a master class would be nice PLEASE:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Hardenfast
9th May 2014, 08:26 AM
Incredible detail and technique, Jim - as usual.

Having completed a few modest segmented pieces myself, I'd be very interesting in seeing any WIP images or tips you'd be willing to indulge to we plebs on those curved sections, and the associated veneer separations.

Surely the version you are happy to submit will be a winner.

Wayne

chuck1
9th May 2014, 09:02 AM
Truly amazing! I can only imagine the hours of preparation that goes into this!

Sawdust Maker
9th May 2014, 09:09 AM
Jim
even you 'unhappy' pieces astound me
and there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection

powderpost
9th May 2014, 11:34 AM
Incredible detail and technique, Jim - as usual.

I'd be very interesting in seeing any WIP images or tips you'd be willing to indulge to we plebs on those curved sections, and the associated veneer separations.
Hi Wayne, I still haven't got the degree of accuracy and control I am after. When That is achieved, I will divulge the process ........... for a small fee :D.

Jim

powderpost
9th May 2014, 11:39 AM
#5 in a row? :fingerscrossed:

Thanks, if it does happen, you will probably see the grin from Brownsville, IF it happens. But I am not counting on it.

Jim

hughie
9th May 2014, 01:43 PM
Another master piece in the making. I suspect Jim we are our worst critics, but still it drive us forward to do better.
:2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
9th May 2014, 03:56 PM
Just my luck !!

I just designed one exactly the same Jim and completed
it to perfection. (Do you believe that?)

Will leave it to you to submit yours into the competition and I
will just dream about mine.

Allan