PDA

View Full Version : With the grain or across the grain?

Oldgreybeard
8th May 2014, 06:00 PM
My neighbour is replacing his side and back fences and i have just scored 21 off 5" x 3" red gum posts. My brother-in-law also just turned up with 12 off 5" x 5" x about 2 foot long redgum posts from restumping his house.

I want to use some of it for small things like tealight holders and boxes, but am confused as to whether it is best to turn them with the grain runnung parellel to the lathe bed or at 90 degrees to the bed. Or doesn't it make any difference?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Bob

Christos
8th May 2014, 06:17 PM
I am very new to turning so would be of a simplest opinion. :)

Turn to maximize the amount of wood and less waste.

And I wait to be turned down, by others more experienced . :biggrin2:

tea lady
8th May 2014, 06:46 PM
Just short tea lights? Either way. Maybe try some of each seeing you are new to turning. Perfect opportunity for practice. Just remember always work down the grain.

chuck1
8th May 2014, 06:59 PM
What christos wrote! Minimal waste most projects! It is also governed by the designs of the project, I have done candle stick holders and they had 4 peices of timber 2 parts turned between centres and 2 parts turned on the faceplate!
If I could find it I would post a photo so the above was clearer!

artme
8th May 2014, 07:52 PM
Nice score!! You might get some interesting curly grain if you are lucky.

Don't forget the RG moves like a can of worms so make sure it's well and truly seasoned.
I suggest turning and leaving meat to re- turn after more drying.

smiife
8th May 2014, 08:25 PM
Nice score!! You might get some interesting curly grain if you are lucky.

Don't forget the RG moves like a can of worms so make sure it's well and truly seasoned.
I suggest turning and leaving meat to re- turn after more drying.

Hi guys,
Artme I would imagine if they old fence posts
they would have dried out already?:C

Bob, try turning something like a vase
and leave the bottom 30/50mm natural
Old posts turn out nice polished up
and don, t forget we want photos:U

artful bodger
8th May 2014, 09:29 PM
I want to use some of it for small things like tealight holders and boxes, but am confused as to whether it is best to turn them with the grain runnung parellel to the lathe bed or at 90 degrees to the bed. Or doesn't it make any difference?

Hi Bob
As a general rule, if the length is bigger than the diameter then turn with grain parallel to the bed of lathe.
If the diameter is larger than the length then turn at 90 degrees to the bed.
But that is only a general rule and must admit I find myself braking it (that rule) quite often.
It really depends on what the item is to be used for and what stresses if any are to be applied to it.

Oldgreybeard
10th May 2014, 03:35 PM
I tried out a bit of the red gum fence posts yesterday. Reasonaly happy although I had a "senior's moment" with my measurements for the box lid - I will turn another tomorrow!
Image 1 (top left) is 90mm diameter and 55 mm high
Image 2 (box) is 65mm diameter x 90mm high
Image 3 (bottom left) is 90mm diameter x 40mm high
Image 4 is 90mm diameter x 45 mm high.

I would appreciate comments and recommendations to improve.

Thanks Bob

dougturner
10th May 2014, 04:58 PM
Like the shapes. What finish have you used on the Red Gum? impressive. Doug.

Oldgreybeard
10th May 2014, 05:38 PM
Like the shapes. What finish have you used on the Red Gum? impressive. Doug.[/QUOTE]

Thaks Doug, Finish was sanded to 1000 grit, triple E then Shellawax followed by a final buff with Traditional wax.

Bob

jefferson
10th May 2014, 06:50 PM
Doug, you almost got the small hollow form / bowl right. The lip isn't quite right, otherwise the shape is pleasing. The boxes are another matter. It looks like you were doodling and searching for some unique shapes. Google Turner Boxes and check the images out and you will see what I am talking about. Try making your first few boxes simple using the 1/3 / 2/3 rule. Also post some pics of inside the boxes so we can gauge how well you did with the hollowing. As for your "finial", again, Google it and see what a nice finial looks like. Not trying to be critical, just helpful. You did a great job on the finish and made the redgum pop.

Oldgreybeard
10th May 2014, 08:07 PM
Doug, you almost got the small hollow form / bowl right. The lip isn't quite right, otherwise the shape is pleasing. The boxes are another matter. It looks like you were doodling and searching for some unique shapes. Google Turner Boxes and check the images out and you will see what I am talking about. Try making your first few boxes simple using the 1/3 / 2/3 rule. Also post some pics of inside the boxes so we can gauge how well you did with the hollowing. As for your "finial", again, Google it and see what a nice finial looks like. Not trying to be critical, just helpful. You did a great job on the finish and made the redgum pop.

Hmmm ... what can I say?
Firstly thank you for taking your time to reply and offering your comments, but

The name is Bob, not Doug and images 1, 3 and 4 are not hollow forms, bowls or boxes. Sorry I didn't spell that out but since I spoke about making tealight holders in the initial post and the images showed the actually tealight candles in the holders, I didn't think it was necessary' As for the box lid I did admit that I had a problem and intend to turn another tomorrow. And yes, I am trying out different shapes for the tealight holders - I am experimenting with developing shape as well as improving my turning technique.

Bob

jefferson
10th May 2014, 09:08 PM
Apologies Bob for getting the name wrong. A seniors moment. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't exactly sure what you'd intended with some of the forms. Do I take it that the first form is for candles and is not a hollow form afterall? If so, a shame as it cries "wasted opportunity". That first form is an Ellsworth HF in reverse, only it aint hollow! A very nice shape. A heavy one? I would again urge you to take pics of your boxes with the lid on and off, I made the same mistake when first starting out and it took a while (read feedback) to get the hollowing right. Again, sorry for getting the name wrong! The original post was about (I think) treating the RG as either cross-grain or with the grain items. Two completely different sets of skills in turning both that you will no doubt come to terms with soon.

Hermit
12th May 2014, 11:48 PM
One point that hasn't been raised yet - when making lidded boxes it's generally better to work along the grain, spindle style, if possible.
In the case of a cross-grain box, there's more chance of the box/lid going out-of-round due to changes in humidity, making for a bad fit.

Having said that, my first lidded box, from Merbau, was turned cross-grain and the lid still fits beautifully no matter which way I put it on.