PDA

View Full Version : some miniatures

TimberNut
17th June 2005, 03:17 PM
A couple of pieces I made on the weekend.

The goblet is tassie Black Heart Sassafrass, and the lidded box is Jarrah.

Dimensions:
Goblet - 14mm H x 9mm diameter max. Stem is 2mm
Lidded box - 12mm H x 8mm diameter. (internal hole is 5mm) (and yes, the lid does come off, like any normal lidded box).

The last 2 pictures show my thumb, and a 5 cent coin for size comparisons.

A note - thanks to Richard Raffan for the design of the lidded box (I copied it from one of his larger ones that I have).:)

zenwood
17th June 2005, 03:27 PM
Nice work ianhockings. Precision plus. But what do you use them for?:)

TimberNut
17th June 2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks. What do I use them for? Well, aside from practice (if you think they are a challenge at normal size - try these). All hand movements are magnified on such small pieces so you have to be ultra precise with your tool technique.

Current uses - let me see....
The lidded jar could hold earrings (as long is it is a single stud!)
The goblet would be good for lego men I reckon.

other than that - not a lot! :o

Mulgabill
17th June 2005, 04:34 PM
Well done!! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif I admire turners that can manage to do miniatures like these. If only my eye sight was that good!

Christopha
17th June 2005, 05:05 PM
Ian, well done, nice littlish ;) turnings..... to apply the finish to turnings this size is as "big" a challenge as the turning!
The best turner of miniatures I have come across is a lady from Adelaide named Kath Bretag. I have a goblet of hers which is only 3mm tall (short?) and it is a beautifully turned piece.
I have turned many miniature bits and pieces over the years and I have found that tools with full sized handles are far and away the easiest to manage.

womble
17th June 2005, 05:15 PM
doll collectors/doll house enthusiasts would certainly be in the market for small work like that, judging by the price that other stuff goes for (miniature dressers going for the price of full sized ones on occasion as an example!) :eek:

TimberNut
17th June 2005, 05:43 PM
Christopha, that sounds like a challenge!! I don't know that I could manage 3mm but I'd planned to go smaller than these. The hardest bit is yes, finishing, but also making tools small enough.

got any pictures of that small goblet? can you post one here? I'd love to see it.

Hagrid
17th June 2005, 06:12 PM
Ian

They are great but i better not let the wife see them or thats what i will get my drinks in from now on.

well done.

Hagrid

TimberNut
20th June 2005, 10:12 AM
Christopha,

I decided to take you up on the challenge (if that's what it was) on the weekend. Hence I post my latest attempt. I apologise for the quality of the shot but it's the best my digital camera can do with Macro shots.

What appears as an oversize finger is actually my left thumb, used to get the same sense of scale as the first couple of shots.

This one is 4.2 mm tall made from Black Heart Sassafrass. Hope this would qualify as miniature, and not 'smallish' .:p

DPB
20th June 2005, 10:47 AM
Nice work, but how about cleaning your fingernails before your next picture?:D