PDA

View Full Version : Seal & Bond internal Brick wall

vGolfer
17th June 2005, 04:09 PM
Our house has exposed brick walls in the back family room and kitchen but the bricks are the old Hawthorn variety. The mortar and the bricks are prone to have small 'crumbs' flake off so a day after dusting it needs to be done again. Also a couple of the walls look a bit tired as if all the moisture has been sucked out...not literally, but they have kind of a drab finish.

Does anyone know of a product that we could apply to the wall that would bind the bricks and mortar together a bit so they were not so powdery to the touch and so that small bits wouldn't flake off? The bits that come off are like bread crumbs...nothing major, just nuisance value.

I am looking for a clear finish, not necessarily something that gives a glossy finish. I was told that Sealwall Seal & Fnish or Bondcryl may do the trick.

Any help greatly appreciated.

magnet 12
17th June 2005, 04:43 PM
I had a similar problem with our old (100 year ) house and used a waterproofing liquid on the exterior walls. Didn't affect the appearance at all. I had a problem with a few bricks inside and outside that were so powdery that it was difficult to apply mixture by brush or spray. In the end I mixed up some bondcrete and water and with a few coats got the mixture onto the bricks and two years later it's still holding with no brick or mortar dust.It has slightly changed appearance of these "rogue " bricks but still blends in well.