PDA

View Full Version : Incra 1000HD mitre jig for segmented work

jefferson
11th May 2014, 07:25 PM
Testing the collective knowledge out there. Is the above mitre jig enough for all my cutting needs on a table saw? Also,what are the "best" books on offer? I have borrowed the Ray Allen book by Dale Nish plus the Keith Tory book called Polychromatic Woodturning. There are at least 5 segmenting books listed in the Aust. Woodworker too. Thanks.

powderpost
11th May 2014, 09:05 PM
Hi Jeff, Assuming you are getting into segmenting the short answer... yes. They are accurate to 0.1 degrees, the only real problem is getting 0.05 degrees accurately. That is necessary if you need to cut 16 segments. I have been using that mitre gauge now for three years, and I think you would agree, successfully. I did find some inaccuracies using the mitre gauge in the slot in the top of the saw bench. I over came this by buying the supplementary incra sled. Sorry I can't recall the name for it. The grooves in top of the sled are accurate and the sled locks into the groove in the saw bench.
I believe the book by Malcolm Tibbetts is good. I have started writing a book on my experiences at segmenting.
Not bad for a "short" answer?

Jim

powderpost
11th May 2014, 09:17 PM
Just remembered, (senior moment), the "sled was called Mitre Express.
Jim

jefferson
11th May 2014, 10:27 PM
Jim, thanks for that. The Tibbetts book is already on the list. When can we expect yours? All those fancy circles and stuff. Looking forward to it. The Incra jigs are problematic. You might be able to "make do" with the 1000 series but I think I need to go the 2000 or even the 3000 route. Old v. young hands. I will also invest in the base. But money is unusually tight for a change. But I am keen to have a go at it, so what's some more $? I will also need to order a decent blade for the table saw. Gabbett Machinery is selling 40 tooth crosscut/rip blades for only $60 for the Sawstop but it seems too cheap. So I might contact Henry Bros in Sydney. Their German blades, forget the name, have been worth the money on the big12 inch saw. AWTEX 2015 here I come!

jefferson
11th May 2014, 10:30 PM
Hi Jeff, Assuming you are getting into segmenting the short answer... yes. They are accurate to 0.1 degrees, the only real problem is getting 0.05 degrees accurately. That is necessary if you need to cut 16 segments. I have been using that mitre gauge now for three years, and I think you would agree, successfully. I did find some inaccuracies using the mitre gauge in the slot in the top of the saw bench. I over came this by buying the supplementary incra sled. Sorry I can't recall the name for it. The grooves in top of the sled are accurate and the sled locks into the groove in the saw bench.
I believe the book by Malcolm Tibbetts is good. I have started writing a book on my experiences at segmenting.
Not bad for a "short" answer?

Jim

Yep, Jim, not bad for a short answer. I figure if your answers get any longer, the $investment will go up the longer you make it.