PDA

View Full Version : A very basic segmented bowl

Hermit
13th May 2014, 01:11 AM
This one is leaving home tomorrow, so I thought I'd snap a couple of quick pics before it goes.
It's only my second attempt at segmenting, after the ashtray a while back, so I kept it pretty simple while I continue learn the basics.
The ashtray was 3 layers, so I made this one 5 layers - 4 segments for the base then 12 segments for each of the other layers.
It's Tas Oak, finished in heaps of coats of gloss WOP.

(After seeing Jim's fantastic segmented hollow form last week, I thought I'd lower the bar a little. :D)

313375 313376 313377 313374

PLD
13th May 2014, 02:07 AM
"Simple" doesn't mean it can't be beautiful. That is beautiful.:2tsup:

Dalboy
13th May 2014, 04:12 AM
Steve that is one good piece of work the joints all look nice and tight and the turning and finish also are a great finish:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

SNAFU11
13th May 2014, 05:26 AM
Excellent job Steve for only your second attempt,very nice indeed :2tsup:

Mick!!!

Hermit
13th May 2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks PLD, Derek and Mick for the very kind feedback. I appreciate it. :2tsup:

I'm starting to get the feel of segmented turning now, so my next (half-finished) lidded box project is a bit bigger, 9 layers, and two-toned for a bit more interest. I'm in the midst of gluing the assembled rings on now, one layer per day, with 3 rings to go.

I'm still scratching my head a bit over feature rings, so that won't be happening until the following one, probably a fruit bowl.

Thanks again guys, and for everyone else, negative comments/criticism or ideas are welcome too.

Treecycle
13th May 2014, 01:52 PM
I don't know about any negative comments, I could only find positives in what you have done. For a guy who has only (I believe) recently started turning, you are going ahead in leaps and bounds. All your joints look spot on, and the finishing the same.
Great work.:clap3:

Hermit
13th May 2014, 02:08 PM
I don't know about any negative comments, I could only find positives in what you have done. For a guy who has only (I believe) recently started turning, you are going ahead in leaps and bounds. All your joints look spot on, and the finishing the same.
Great work.:clap3:

Thank you for that, Treecycle. Much appreciated. :2tsup:

And yep, I've been turning since JanuaryDecember, when I made the yo-yos. This is my fourth bowl if you count the ashtray - 1 plain, one laminated and two segmented. I'm trying to force myself to learn quickly.

I'm really enjoying this new branch of my wood hobby. I like a project that I can really sink my teeth into and segmenting definitely fits the bill in that regard.

Christos
13th May 2014, 03:11 PM
You are doing well. I hope to get some segments turnings done eventually.

chuck1
13th May 2014, 06:17 PM
Well done Steve! Wish I had time to play! All the patients and love that went into your bowl!!! Looks great!

powderpost
13th May 2014, 08:01 PM
Steve, that looks like a good job to me. Your joints are good and they line up nicely too. :2tsup:

Simplicity
13th May 2014, 09:30 PM
Wow looks great
And when I read it was what your third or fourth that makes it even better
Well done
Can't wait to get back to turning again
Just have to save a bit more for a new lathe

Hermit
13th May 2014, 09:48 PM
I appreciate the positive comments, guys. I dropped it off this afternoon and the new owner is more than happy.

Now I can concentrate on the next one and planning the one after it. Adding a feature ring is uppermost in my mind. I have to work out what I can accomplish with my limited equipment and then get my hands on some more timber for that one.

chuck1
15th May 2014, 09:11 AM
Perfect timing Steve! I have some Timber! I'll give you a ring to organise a few hours as I have stacked and rack my Timber to fit more machines in! Also having a club day to turn a lamp so I will also let you know in advance in case you would like pop over!

Hermit
15th May 2014, 03:06 PM
Perfect timing Steve! I have some Timber! I'll give you a ring to organise a few hours as I have stacked and rack my Timber to fit more machines in! Also having a club day to turn a lamp so I will also let you know in advance in case you would like pop over!

Sounds great on both counts, Charlie. I'll give you a hand if there's any more stacking or machinery to move.
I haven't been to any meetings lately, the bike's getting a bit temperamental, (needs a new battery), but I'm as keen as ever.

And I'll be there with bells on for the lamp turning demo. Just tell me when, once you know.

Even more machines! You can never have too many, you know. And you definitely have the room in that nice, big shed.

I changed my phone number to a private number last week to foil some or all of the telemarketers. I'll PM you with the new one.

Michael Brazeau
28th May 2014, 01:49 AM
Very nice piece with nice tight lines. My only comment would be to consider a different method for the base. I have found that full segments on the bottom can split apart over time given the right conditions (dry conditions that is).

I have used three methods:

1) I have used a solid bottom which works good as long as its not larger than about 4". I had one piece where the bottom was 7" and it didn't split but it did warp the entire bowl.

2) I have used the plug method. I made a plug that was about 1.5" wide and glued it into an opening on the bottom but it dried up and left a small space where you could see light shining though. Not an issue with the stability of the piece , only cosmetic.

2) I have more recently started using a floating disc. I examined Malcom Tibbets methods for making a floating disc and came up with my own method of using a disc with a "keeper ring" on the bottom. This method allows the wood to move without any splitting or creating any visible gaps.

Segmented turning takes a lot of time to make especially when you start incorporating feature rings and its a heart breaker when you see splits on the bottom.

The first picture is a solid base about 4" wide and no problems after 2 years (my house is about 40-55 % humidity). The second picture has the plug which was ok when the picture was taken but has since opened up. I don't have a picture of a piece with the floating disc method. Hope this helps!

Hermit
28th May 2014, 06:48 PM
Very nice piece with nice tight lines. My only comment would be to consider a different method for the base. I have found that full segments on the bottom can split apart over time given the right conditions (dry conditions that is).

I have used three methods:

1) I have used a solid bottom which works good as long as its not larger than about 4". I had one piece where the bottom was 7" and it didn't split but it did warp the entire bowl.

2) I have used the plug method. I made a plug that was about 1.5" wide and glued it into an opening on the bottom but it dried up and left a small space where you could see light shining though. Not an issue with the stability of the piece , only cosmetic.

2) I have more recently started using a floating disc. I examined Malcom Tibbets methods for making a floating disc and came up with my own method of using a disc with a "keeper ring" on the bottom. This method allows the wood to move without any splitting or creating any visible gaps.

Segmented turning takes a lot of time to make especially when you start incorporating feature rings and its a heart breaker when you see splits on the bottom.

The first picture is a solid base about 4" wide and no problems after 2 years (my house is about 40-55 % humidity). The second picture has the plug which was ok when the picture was taken but has since opened up. I don't have a picture of a piece with the floating disc method. Hope this helps!

I feel a long-winded reply coming on.....

First, Michael, thank you very much for pointing this out to me. As a beginner to woodturning, this is my motivation for posting my work - the hope that those of you who know more than I do will help me to stay on the right track, pointing out where I've gone wrong or better ways of doing things.
Your feedback is very much appreciated.

When I make jewellery boxes, I use floating panels for both lid and base, so I knew that a solid bottom of any sort on a segmented turning could be a problem, but honestly thought (with my own twisted logic) that a 'pie' style base would be less of a problem than a solid base. We live and learn.

After reading your post, I did a quick search and came across a couple of relevant pdfs that cover the points you mentioned - one by Malcolm Tibbetts and the other by a collaboration of members of the AAW. I've downloaded copies for my collection.

'BASE-ics' (by AAW members):
http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/BASE-ics.pdf

'Constructing a Floating Base' (by Malcolm Tibbetts):
http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/floating_base.pdf

After reading your post and both pdfs, I reckon that a floating base is overkill on my current tiny projects, but I definitely should have used a solid base from quarter-sawn timber or used the 'deep dish' method as described in 'BASE-ics'.

To make matters worse, I'm almost finished a lidded box, 6" diameter, 4" tall, with both the lid and the base constructed using the 'pie' method, with 4 segments each. All I can do is cross my fingers with that one and hope for the best. I could still turn the centre out of the bottom and fit a plug, but it appears that that's not worth the effort since I could still end up with cracking. I'll keep it around for a while and see what happens.

A bit off-topic, but quite by coincidence, I spent part of the day trying to sort out a differential expansion problem on a feature band for the rim of a small plate. :(

It started to bow upwards in the centre. I've re-flattened it both sides and will have to let it sit for a while and see how it goes. Hopefully it'll settle down without cracking. A bit of a nuisance after all the time I put into making it.

I do still need to trim it to final width which will take 2-3mm off the outside and about 8mm off the inside, so that will hopefully relieve more of the stress.
The band:

I love your work, too, Michael. That's the sort of thing I aspire to when I've finished learning the basics. :2tsup:

And once again, thank you for the constructive criticism.