PDA

View Full Version : Home for a sevice.

powderpost
15th May 2014, 11:48 AM
This platter was made in 1996. It was bought by the local council as part of an acquisitive award at an exhibition and had not been cared for very well. The mayor asked me to restore it to it's former glory. The platter, 360mm diameter and about 30mm deep, is made from local rainforest species including white cedar, red oak, northern silky oak, rosewood, black bean and walnut. Not segmented but referred to as linear laminated. It was stripped of the former lacquer and re-coated with a number of coats of sanding sealer and re-sprayed with lacquer and buffed with EEE.

Jim

jefferson
15th May 2014, 11:51 AM
Jim, you must be doing something right with the glue and timber orientation / selection for the piece to stay together all this time!

Christos
15th May 2014, 12:23 PM
Nice

chuck1
15th May 2014, 02:38 PM
Did you pop in the lathe? And was there any run out after all this time?
Looks good!

Mobyturns
15th May 2014, 02:49 PM
Jim, I see it does not show any of those nasty cracks from timber movement. Would love to see this one up close if I hasn't been cared for all that well.

powderpost
15th May 2014, 07:38 PM
Did you pop in the lathe? And was there any run out after all this time?
Yes Chuck, it went back into the lathe. There was about 1.5mm run out in thickness and 2mm in diameter. I turned it slowly for sanding only so it didn't make any difference.

Jim

Paul39
16th May 2014, 03:24 AM
Powderpost,

I love the design, and as stated above, you have excellent technique.

By linear laminated, I am assuming the parts are assembled and glued side by side, and the rim is glued on top and then turned.

Wonderful piece!!

Mobyturns
16th May 2014, 07:06 AM
Yes Chuck, it went back into the lathe. There was about 1.5mm run out in thickness and 2mm in diameter. I turned it slowly for sanding only so it didn't make any difference.

Jim

Jim, that's surprisingly good % wise on the dia, the warping (thickness) I can understand. I would have expected a bit more on the dia. Just shows how stable these can be.:cool:

1993 - now that was when we could still get locally saw milled timber. :) You should post this one on the other site. :rolleyes:

powderpost
16th May 2014, 09:25 PM
By linear laminated, I am assuming the parts are assembled and glued side by side, and the rim is glued on top and then turned.

Wonderful piece!!
Thanks Paul, linear lamination is a term used by Mobyturns. I first made up a "plank" by gluing strips of varying width side by side. Then it is cut across at an angle and re-glued. This is done several times to get the pattern I was after. The rim was made using a standard segmented ring.

Jim

Mobyturns
17th May 2014, 09:50 AM
Powderpost,

I love the design, and as stated above, you have excellent technique.

Wonderful piece!!

Thanks Paul, linear lamination is a term used by Mobyturns. I first made up a "plank" by gluing strips of varying width side by side. Then it is cut across at an angle and re-glued. This is done several times to get the pattern I was after. The rim was made using a standard segmented ring.

Jim

I haven't been able to find a source to attribute the use of the term "linear lamination" in wood turning to. I have seen use of the words “linear laminate” on “Out of Control Woodturnings” segmented website as an initial step to creating multi generation segments. Straight segmenting seems to have been in use as a common way to describe simple laminations.

I started using the term to broadly describe simple or even more complex lamination techniques in which the grain orientation of all laminations in the glue up are essentially aligned in one direction i.e. parallel - as opposed to segmenting where each piece is usually placed radially with the "long grain" orientation indexing around the bowl.

There are many exceptions and variations of course – i.e. Max Krimmel's work, and the evolution into multi generation laminations! Jims platter is a wonderful example of a linear lamination one generation on, and his 2nd & 3rd etc generation platters are a joy to behold.

The “bowl from a board” technique is a great example of a common linear lamination technique that has evolved from simple stacking of rings to radially offsetting the cut rings in each layer. Tunbridge turning, at least some of it and coopering or staving are other examples.