PDA

View Full Version : Lathe help

Osage
19th May 2014, 08:55 PM
Hi guys,Can anyone help with some advice I need my problem is I'm venturing in turning larger natural edge bowls and burl bowls and lathe is coping some serious shaking so do I bolt the legs down or leave it free standing ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers guys.

artful bodger
19th May 2014, 09:25 PM
Bolt em down as firmly as possible. Hopefully to a concrete slab. Should fix the problem.

Pat
19th May 2014, 09:25 PM
Osage, I muck around with medium sized bowls and platters, both bandsawn round blanks and Natural Edge finger knockers, around 4 - 500 for inboard and >500 for the outboard end.

My lathe is bolted through the wood flooring into the concrete base with 100mm concrete screws.

The Coolibah Burl NE is about 400 and the Black butt Burl Platter is 540mm314098314099

Tangoman
19th May 2014, 09:33 PM
Mate,

Bolt it down !

The only other option is using variable speed to keep the speed low until the piece is in balance - after you've done that - Bolt it down :U !!

Cam

issatree
19th May 2014, 11:33 PM
Hi Osage,
Maybe far better if you bolt it, but, in doing so, Find some Sheet Lead, & punch a hole for the Bolt, then cut a piece out to the hole & then you will only have to slip it in.
You could even double it up.
This will deaden the Lathe of any Vibration or it should anyway.

Paul39
20th May 2014, 04:17 AM
Osage,

If you can't or don't want to bolt down your lathe, loading an existing or added shelf near the floor with weight - dead car batteries, buckets of gravel, bags of sand, concrete blocks, whatever.

100 Kg will calm things down a bunch. Bolting down and weight is even better, just be sure the lathe is well fastened to the stand or bench.

Pat
20th May 2014, 05:00 AM
Maybe Osage is a Disco Duck, loves dancing with his lathe:U

chuck1
20th May 2014, 06:41 AM
Our old Big lathe had core filled bessa bricks then the lathe was bolted to the bricks. But as everyone mentioned bolting down and stiffening the framework up will only help!