PDA

View Full Version : Some lace bobbins

powderpost
5th June 2014, 10:34 AM
Recently I had a request for some lace bobbins which I could not satisfy, so a session on the lathe was required. These bobbins from the left are made from ebony, hickory, jarrah and bone. You may notice that there are no threads or glue joints? :)

Jim

Bruce White
5th June 2014, 11:09 AM
How big are they Jim? look like a finicky turn. Good job.

powderpost
5th June 2014, 11:15 AM
How big are they Jim? look like a finicky turn. Good job.

Bruce they are about 85mm long and about 6mm thick.

Jim

dai sensei
5th June 2014, 01:39 PM
That looks like a lot finicky work, well done :2tsup:

chuck1
5th June 2014, 05:43 PM
Aaagghhhh lace bobbins! Very nice! I have done a fair few rather turn balusters!!! ! How many an hour did you do? I think I was doing 5 to 6!

powderpost
5th June 2014, 10:14 PM
Aaagghhhh lace bobbins! Very nice! I have done a fair few rather turn balusters!!! ! How many an hour did you do? I think I was doing 5 to 6!

Hi chuck, I am slowing down, I was doing about 10 an hour, that is just for the turning. The bone bobbins slowed me down a bit.

Jim

dr4g0nfly
6th June 2014, 06:11 AM
Well done, a nice collection.

I get to turn these for SWMBO since she took up lacemaking. I also turn them at public shows, they don't take long, use little wood and give some of the audience members something to walk away with - not that one bobbin is any use for anything!

hughie
6th June 2014, 09:52 AM
Jim, are you sure you turned these? No glue :no: no joins :no:

:thumbup:

chuck1
6th June 2014, 02:36 PM
Hi chuck, I am slowing down, I was doing about 10 an hour, that is just for the turning. The bone bobbins slowed me down a bit.

Jim

Wow that's a cracking pace! I have processed some bone just have to get motivated!

wheelinround
6th June 2014, 03:10 PM
Well done Jim matching sets almost :p you know how finikey these woman can be if they just don't look n feel right............no point in me making any for Sue to much other stuff to do ATM so I am safe for now.:U