PDA

View Full Version : what tree is this ??????

bowl-basher
5th June 2014, 06:46 PM
One of our Mens shed Members found this Turned item and brought it in, but no one could work out what it was intended to be used for
The body is 130mm high X 111mm in dia. the "peg on the top is 60mm long and 10mm in dia there are 23 holes around the rim that are about 2mm. Not sure if there is a missing top or lid
The timber is Cotoneaster and it is rather well turned with a nice finish and loverly crisp edges and virtually no tool marks at all.
unfortunately the maker only put the timber id on the bottom and did not sign his work
I know the combined wisdom of this forum will solve this mystery in no time flat

Thanks
Bowl-Basher

tea lady
5th June 2014, 07:02 PM
Ear ring holder maybe. But there is not an even number of holes. :hmm:

MrFez
5th June 2014, 07:08 PM
I have to agree with Tea Lady, its an ear ring / jewellery holder ~ I count 24 holes.

dabbler
5th June 2014, 07:09 PM
You have miscounted TL, there are 24 holes.

I think your Earring holder suggestion is correct.

tea lady
5th June 2014, 07:24 PM
You have miscounted TL, there are 24 holes.

I think your Earring holder suggestion is correct.
:shrug: I didn't count. BB said 23 holes. :D

Which makes it an ear ring tree maybe?

dabbler
5th June 2014, 08:40 PM
:shrug: I didn't count. BB said 23 holes. :D

So I see, now that I read more carefully.

dougturner
5th June 2014, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=bowl-basher;1780334]One of our Mens shed Members found this Turned item and brought it in, but no one could work out what it was intended to be used for
The body is 130mm high X 111mm in dia. the "peg on the top is 60mm long and 10mm in dia there are 23 holes around the rim that are about 2mm. Not sure if there is a missing top or lid
The timber is Cotoneaster and it is rather well turned with a nice finish and loverly crisp edges and virtually no tool marks at all.
unfortunately the maker only put the timber id on the bottom and did not sign his work
I know the combined wisdom of this forum will solve this mystery in no time flat

Thanks
Bowl-Basher

315816315817315818 I will go with the earring tree, and the central stem is to place rings on for safekeeping. Doug:U

dr4g0nfly
6th June 2014, 06:17 AM
Yep, an earring holder, the finial will probably be a Ring holder and if the lid lifts of, the inside can be used to hold other nick-knacks.

bowl-basher
6th June 2014, 08:58 AM
:B:B OPPS
need to clean my glasses 24 it is
Thanks for the replies I thought about a ring/ear ring holder but am not sure do you think it would have had a cover or lid
Regards
Bowl-Basher

hughie
6th June 2014, 09:41 AM
Here some links that might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotoneaster
http://www.chewvalleytrees.co.uk/index.php/products/detail/cotoneaster-cornubia/1

turnerted
6th June 2014, 05:30 PM
Iv'e probably produced a few earring holders with an odd number of holes.I just eyeball the spaceing and hand drill .When I get down to the last few centremeters,I just divide up the remaining space equally.Havn't had a complaint yet.
Ted