PDA

View Full Version : Busy Gathering

Willy Nelson
8th June 2014, 11:52 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I have been very busy on the milling and gathering front.

Firstly, due to a development in Rockingham, the owner of this house offered us any timber from this large Carob and a couple of Jap peppers and a coral tree. I took the day off, and once the tree loppers had it all on the ground, I flashed up the mighty 660 with the 24 inch bar and had my way with it. We took about 15 trailer loads of carob, mostly for individuals, but we got a lot for the club over a couple of days.

The Carob has lovely pinks and reds through the heart, I expect it will have similar turning properties to Camphor Laurel. We got a lot of very blanks from the carob. I kept 8 big blanks for myself, will turn a large platter or bowl for the owners in a couple of years time.

The Jap pepper seems very dense, with lovely greens and swirls through the heart. Not a lot of size to the pepper and possibly a trailer full in total.

The Coral tree. What a nasty tree, full of spines and very course fibres, like a palm tree. I took a couple of slabs to see what I could do with it, but I expect I will be ditching them in a couple of years time.

Ironically, the wife is a volunteer at the Perth Zoo, she happened to mention in passing that they are dropping a large Carob, the botanists got all excited and asked for all the foliage, it is fed to many of the zoo animals who go crazy for it, including Giraffes who will eat the leaves and the bark and stems up to 30mm dia!!!!! Certainly better than going to Landfill. The botanists took three trips to take most of the foliage, on one trip, they back filled and supplied me with 1/2 trailer load of Australian Red Cedar. Not a timber I have seen in WA before. Wow, stunning colour, but very soft, got plans to carve a Moai from the cedar. I will turn some pens for the botanists as a Thank you.

Lastly, on a very large property we visit often for shooting, motorbikes, camping etc has a huge Burl infested Wandoo tree which has been on the ground for years. Each trip, I continue to remove a few slabs off the burls. The Wandoo is INCREDIBLY hard, dense and kills the blades. I get one slab per sharpening, and two slabs per tank full, on the 660 with the 36 inch bar. Despite the 36 inch bar, I may need to attack the burl from both side due to it's size. The grain is superb and worth persevering with. It is like chainsawing concrete. A slab or two pays for fuel and incidentals for the weekend. In another 3 or 4 trips, I should have it all, gotta be a couple of tons of burl on the one tree.

Once the Wandoo is done, I found a stand of York Gum Burls and a York gum tree which looks as though it has blown down a few months ago. It appears to be very curly, I mean super curly. A Marri is also down and looks to curly as well, the farmer said 'Help Yourself', I look after that farmer.

Lastly, we gained acces to 3,000 Olive trees which had been bulldozed. I originally turned up my nose to the olive, but after seeing some stunning naturl edge vases, rolling pins, and chisel handles, I then decided I would have room for some Olive, it is stunning, dense and dries well if looked after.

Well, that is quite a lot of timber. I have milled and sealed all mine, but as you can imagine, my wood turning club had tons of the stuff dumped at the club (Wandi). We had a busy bee Saturday just gone and milled and sealed the lot, the wood store is now looking very healthy and full
Anyhoo, enough typing, thanks for looking

Willy
Jarrahland

MrFez
8th June 2014, 01:57 PM
Shame Melbourne's so far from Perth.

Dave

dabbler
8th June 2014, 02:28 PM
Exciting times Willy. Certainly a great selection you’ve managed to score for yourself and the club.

The Australian Red Cedar is just another east coast weed. I’m surprised they didn’t burn it.

smiife
8th June 2014, 07:52 PM
Hi willy,
I am now very jealous.......:o
You have been very busy, and olive too!!!!!!
does anyone know where to get olive on
the east side???..
Good pick up mate well done:U

dai sensei
8th June 2014, 08:19 PM
:2tsup::cool:

TTIT
8th June 2014, 09:28 PM
Wish I had that much energy!!!:C

Good score with the Carob :2tsup: I picked up a stem that the council cut off a lone Carob in one of the parks here and got enough for an egg for my collection and a nice little bowl blank but I haven't seen the sucker for a couple of years - tried to find it a while back - needle in a haystack!!! It had beautiful colour through it as you say - maybe it will turn up while we move house :shrug:

Roger C
8th June 2014, 09:48 PM
Willy congrats with the haul. I would first apply a antisap stain on the carob before sealing. The antisap stain is available in Aus from Osmoses they sell it in 5lt for diy. I always paint on the antisap stain on all wood newly felled. The sap stain is a fungus that cause the blue / grey color steaks which are seem a lot in pines, camphor and light colored woods. The seeds of the Carob were used to calculate the weight of diamonds and that is where the word carat comes from. Cheers Roger C

Willy Nelson
9th June 2014, 01:27 PM
Willy congrats with the haul. I would first apply a antisap stain on the carob before sealing. The antisap stain is available in Aus from Osmoses they sell it in 5lt for diy. I always paint on the antisap stain on all wood newly felled. The sap stain is a fungus that cause the blue / grey color steaks which are seem a lot in pines, camphor and light colored woods. The seeds of the Carob were used to calculate the weight of diamonds and that is where the word carat comes from. Cheers Roger C

Thanks for the heads up there Roger on the Antisap. I also liked your comment regarding the weight measurement for diamands, I think I did already know that, but forgot
Cheers
Willy

Christos
9th June 2014, 04:57 PM
Great results and as you mention busy. :2tsup: