PDA

View Full Version : Australian Woodturning Exhibition 2014

Sturdee
13th June 2014, 06:07 PM
The woodturning exhibition opened this morning and again there is a wonderful display of excellent turning.

As usual I took photos of those items that grabbed my interest and turning of those turners that I know which covers a diverse selection of what is on display. You could easily spend an entire day looking at all the exhibits and catch up with other turners. Also the show organisers are on hand to show and explain how they were made. It is a real friendly atmosphere, well worthwhile going if you can.

Here are some that I took and I will post more tonight after processing them.

316550 316551

316552 316553

316554 316555

To avoid another spirited debate I have again, today, verified about posting these photos with the exhibition organisers. They are happy with posting photos on this forum and hope that this will encourage further attendance and interest in the exhibition.

Peter

Sturdee
13th June 2014, 08:05 PM
Here are the rest of the photos I took.

316566 316586

316587 316588

316589 316590

316591 316592

316593 316594

316595 316596

316597 316598

316599 316600

316601 316602

316585 316584

316567 316568

316569 316570

316571 316572

316573 316574

316575 316576

316577 316578

316579 316580

316581 316582

316583 316603

This is only a small eclectic selection of what is on show at the exhibition, so it's well worth the effort of attending.

Enjoy,

Peter.

MrFez
13th June 2014, 09:15 PM
I paid a visit also, well worthwhile. Congrats to all the place-getters.

Osbojo
13th June 2014, 10:30 PM
Great job Peter. I hope you don't mind but I just ripped your image of David Coull's platter for the club website. I missed it today and yours is a great shot :2tsup:. I shoulda got you to do them all for me!!

John.

Sturdee
13th June 2014, 11:04 PM
Great job Peter. I hope you don't mind but I just ripped your image of David Coull's platter for the club website. I missed it today and yours is a great shot :2tsup:. I shoulda got you to do them all for me!!

John.

I don't mind John, you're welcome to use them.

However these photos were cropped, then shrunk to an acceptable forum size and saved to an allowable file size. If need be I can email you the original, just confirm the file name I used for that photo, which I think is Awtex041a.

Peter.

Tangoman
14th June 2014, 07:05 AM
Peter,

Many thanks for posting these photos. The variety and standards of work is absolutely amazing and inspiring.

I was completely unaware of the existence of Awtex until it was mentioned on the forum, I will try and go one year soon.

Cam

chuck1
14th June 2014, 08:42 AM
Yes thankyou for taking the time to post!
Very inspiring, hope to venture down one day!

Mobyturns
14th June 2014, 09:18 AM
Peter, fantastic work by all competitors – all PB’s in my book. Nice photos & thank you for sharing.

Viewing a photo never surpasses seeing the real object first hand in good lighting & a good setting no matter how good the photographer. I would urge all who live within a reasonable travelling distance to get there and to support the AWTEX and to view the tremendous quality of entrants work in all classes. Personally I believe the Sections should be called Masters, Open & Intermediate as the calibre of work is that good. The only thing novice about the Novice class is that most are a first time entrant.

I know last year I was pretty vocal about distributing / sharing photos while AWTEX was on but as Peter has sorted that out with the promoters / organisers and received their permission that’s all in the past now. :cool:

So Peter thank you for taking the time and making the effort to share with those who cannot get there. :2tsup:

The big question – even bigger than “so why doesn’t Tarzan have a beard? :whistling2:” – did Powderpost make it 5 in a row??? If so is he going for nine? Queenslander! :D

and finally a big thank you & full credit to all those who make it happen & create a wonderful showcase for Australian woodturning.

Osbojo
14th June 2014, 02:43 PM
I don't mind John, you're welcome to use them.

However these photos were cropped, then shrunk to an acceptable forum size and saved to an allowable file size. If need be I can email you the original, just confirm the file name I used for that photo, which I think is Awtex041a.

Peter.

No probs Peter, I photoshop them for the web site too. It was perfect.

John.

smiife
15th June 2014, 05:34 PM
Hi peter,
Many thanks for taking the photos, they all look like great
entries and very interesting for those of us that live
a long way away , it, s great to see so many on
exhibition, how many where there ? and also who
won the differant categories ?

Soren
15th June 2014, 10:42 PM
Peter, thanks for posting these pictures, albeit just a very small selection of items.
It is hoped that the DVD of the exhibition will be available in August.

regards

Soren

Sturdee
15th June 2014, 11:17 PM
Hi peter,
Many thanks for taking the photos, they all look like great
entries and very interesting for those of us that live
a long way away , it, s great to see so many on
exhibition, how many where there ? and also who
won the differant categories ?

What I posted was only a small eclectic selection to whet the appetites to encourage attendance at the exhibition and to promote interest in the exhibition.

Whilst they are great they are by no means a substitute for attending and seeing all the exhibits displayed to advantage in a great exhibition room and looking up the details in the printed catalog that is provided with your entry to the exhibition. This catalog describes the entrant, the item, timber and finish used and the section under which it's entered as well as the sale price if it's for sale.

The standard of the items on display is excellent and I feel that this is the premier exhibition in Australia. It is all organised by the committee which is drawn from members from woodturning clubs based in Melbourne.

The standard is partly so high because of the standard of judging over the years and this year the judges were Jim Carroll, Guilio Marcolongo and Vic Wood for the open and intermediate and Paul Barton, Don Kelman and Carl Lutz for the Novice and student sections.

There were 75 entrants who submitted 286 entries across all categories in all sections so you could spend a whole day there and get advice from the organisers on how it may have been done and they are willing to show individual items to you up and close. A real friendly atmosphere.

There was some concern last year that the photos I posted showed some winners before the winners were officially notified. I felt that was a fair point and I tried as much as possible to crop out winner details from the photos. Thus I did not take down the winner details and suggest you keep an eye on the AWTEX website (http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.net/#!) for those details to be posted there.

I'm glad that you all enjoyed seeing the photos and will encourage you to enter next year making it a truly national competition.

Mobyturns
16th June 2014, 05:52 AM
Jim Carroll, Guilio Marcolongo and Vic Wood - fine people and what a wealth of knowledge & skill they possess. Man the scores will reflect their valued & honest critique & judging skills. Now I realize my decision not to enter was justified as I really could not devote the time to produce the quality this comp demands.

Jim Carroll
16th June 2014, 09:10 AM
Jim Carroll, Guilio Marcolongo and Vic Wood - fine people and what a wealth of knowledge & skill they possess. Man the scores will reflect their valued & honest critique & judging skills. Now I realize my decision not to enter was justified as I really could not devote the time to produce the quality this comp demands.

The quality you produce would be most welcome in this comp and anyone else thinking of entering.

Give it a go it is not as intimidating as you think.

We need more entries over a wide range of catagories to make it harder for the judges.

Christos
16th June 2014, 12:57 PM
Thank you for posting the photos. Very much an interesting array of items.

Mobyturns
16th June 2014, 09:07 PM
The quality you produce would be most welcome in this comp and anyone else thinking of entering.

Give it a go it is not as intimidating as you think.

We need more entries over a wide range of catagories to make it harder for the judges.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim, much appreciated. I support what you say, it is not intimidating and is a very good experience to enter to see how your efforts are appreciated by the public and how the judges view them.

I have had three goes at entering AWTEX and have been to one in person with a couple of firsts in novice first time around, then 2 firsts in intermediate the next, and then trumped by Tealady and a few others second time around in intermediate. Unfortunately I have had a few issues over recent years & this year I was not prepared to put in work I was not satisfied with. Plus postage is a bit of an issue as it is costly and you have to be well organized - no last minute opportunities when you are looking at up to a week even for express post at times.

Soren
16th June 2014, 09:59 PM
..............you have to be well organized - no last minute opportunities when you are looking at up to a week even for express post at times.

Do as David Shing does, "- start now !!" :roll: This is what he tells us all after every show !!

regards

Soren

Mobyturns
16th June 2014, 10:22 PM
Do as David Shing does, "- start now !!" :roll: This is what he tells us all after every show !!

regards

Soren

Hey I do and I still have half finished pieces from two or three years ago that I'm not satisfied with or bit off more than I can chew. :-

Soren
16th June 2014, 10:39 PM
Hey I do and I still have half finished pieces from two or three years ago that I'm not satisfied with or bit off more than I can chew. :-

that sounds too familiar, I am still trying to finish the piece I intended entering 2 years ago LOL and I am very close to the venue

Tony Morton
16th June 2014, 11:20 PM
Hi Fellow Wodies
thanks for the pics posted they are great to see is there any chance of the organisers posting a list of prise winners as it is very disheartening for distant entrants to get results. Its wait till your entries return or when the discs comme out in August I had five entries in intermediate can any one give me a clue who won what.
thanks tony

Soren
16th June 2014, 11:34 PM
Tony

I believe the full set of results will be posted on the AWTEX website very shortly (within the next 24 hours)
http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.net

regards

Soren

powderpost
17th June 2014, 02:19 PM
Plus postage is a bit of an issue as it is costly and you have to be well organized - no last minute opportunities when you are looking at up to a week even for express post at times.
And that is no exaggeration. In the five years I have entered, the postage has more than doubled. It would be nice to hand deliver, that would eliminate the stress post creates, will it get there or will it be damaged.

I missed out on "five in a row", that's life. :)

This years entry was the most difficult and original design to complete. It took four attempts to get the techniques to the stage where I had reasonable control over the design components, and not to mention the method of construction.

This one was awarded third in the "built up" section.

Jim

Picko
17th June 2014, 03:19 PM
That's magnificent Jim. Congratulations.

Mobyturns
17th June 2014, 09:24 PM
And that is no exaggeration. In the five years I have entered, the postage has more than doubled. It would be nice to hand deliver, that would eliminate the stress post creates, will it get there or will it be damaged.

This years entry was the most difficult and original design to complete. It took four attempts to get the techniques to the stage where I had reasonable control over the design components, and not to mention the method of construction.

Jim

Awesome Jim, your most challenging yet. I know we have discussed the degree of difficulty in creating these many times and a turners ability to pull them off with confidence. I'm glad you chose to take the difficult road rather than the safe road. If it got a third I'm quite sure the others must have been very well executed to bump you off.

On the postage side I think last time I entered all up the cost of entry fees, packing & postage plus return post was well over $200 from Townsville.

Sturdee
21st June 2014, 03:39 PM
If the volunteers are doing the best they can do in the circumstances then I will never have a problem with any errors made. Better any volunteer than "no one."

The president's remarks in the opening welcome to the program states that out of a committee of seven, four longstanding committee members resigned during the year and four new ones joined in their place. Such large change of very experienced members may well have contributed to some problems this year.

Any more photos Peter?

Sorry but I've posted all I took. Wanted to take more but the battery ran down. Should have recharged it before but it slipped my mind.

Maybe others have some they can post, else we have to wait on the DVD to become available.

Peter.

hughie
22nd June 2014, 11:19 AM
And that is no exaggeration. In the five years I have entered, the postage has more than doubled. It would be nice to hand deliver, that would eliminate the stress post creates, will it get there or will it be damaged

Hmm this was a major concern for me as well when I contemplated sending several pieces off. But unfortunately it never came to pass as I didnt have enough time to complete them before the contest deadline, maybe next year.

Tony Morton
22nd June 2014, 08:12 PM
Major dissapointment i arrived home form trip up north today to find my entries had returned good. On opening them up up all had travelled well, started looking through paperwork and find no pieces were selected for judging fair enough but then i find that my entries had been changed from intermediate to OPEN yes i have previously entered but only achieved a third placing and less than the 180 points allowed . From the comments from last years and what happened this year I doubt if I will bother again.

Cheers Tony

Mobyturns
23rd June 2014, 05:46 AM
Major dissapointment i arrived home form trip up north today to find my entries had returned good. On opening them up up all had travelled well, started looking through paperwork and find no pieces were selected for judging fair enough but then i find that my entries had been changed from intermediate to OPEN yes i have previously entered but only achieved a third placing and less than the 180 points allowed . From the comments from last years and what happened this year I doubt if I will bother again.

Cheers Tony

Hi Tony, now that is a mystery. Had you entered in Open before? If you have entered Open previously I don't think you can go back to Intermediate. "Previous Open exhibitors plus any exhibitor who has won four or more first places in the Intermediate Section."

Sawdust Maker
23rd June 2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks for posting the piccies :2tsup:

some incredible work there - makes one want to hone his skills somewhat

brendan stemp
23rd June 2014, 10:22 AM

Jim

I thought this piece was a standout in the comp/exhib. I have done very little laminated work but recognised the craftsmanship in this piece. Superb design and execution, beyond my comprehension on how you did this. Well done Jim, I don't know how you didn't tkae out first place in this category and I say this with hesitation, knowing the judges very well.

This category always was problematic for me when I have judged in the past. I understand the 'finish' criterion but what percentage of the 'level of difficulty' marks are awarded to the difficulty in the laminating and what percentage to the difficulty in turning. The same is the case with the 'design' criterion. If I were judging this would I award equal marks to the design of the laminating and design of the vessel itself. Or should I award more marks (because it is in the laminating category) to the laminating work. This is not stipulated in the information given to the judges so it is left up to them how they split these criteria.

But having said this, I know the judging is a difficult task and generally speaking the right pieces win the prizes and there is always someone who is left upset.

Jim, I'm glad you continue to enter and I hope to see more of your spectacular work in the future.

Tony Morton
23rd June 2014, 06:43 PM
Surprise Surprise When I got the results on the net I was on $for time so only looked at the Intermediate results, yesterday when I opened up the box of returned exhibition pieces I found my entry form that had been changed to Open They had crossed out intermediate and written OPEN over it at this i went off. As the rules state anyone who has won 4 firsts in intermediate must enter in open, yes two years ago I got a third in open with 169 points last year i entered novice ok so I don't know why I was shunted to open.. But to my surprise this morning when I unpacked the pieces I found the Ringed Platter i had at Turnfest won second place so thanks to all at Turnfest who helped me achieve this award with their advice.

Cheers Tony

Mobyturns
23rd June 2014, 08:09 PM
Surprise Surprise When I got the results on the net I was on $for time so only looked at the Intermediate results, yesterday when I opened up the box of returned exhibition pieces I found my entry form that had been changed to Open They had crossed out intermediate and written OPEN over it at this i went off. As the rules state anyone who has won 4 firsts in intermediate must enter in open, yes two years ago I got a third in open with 169 points last year i entered novice ok so I don't know why I was shunted to open.. But to my surprise this morning when I unpacked the pieces I found the Ringed Platter i had at Turnfest won second place so thanks to all at Turnfest who helped me achieve this award with their advice.

Cheers Tony

Good on you Tony. Great to see because you put so much effort into improving your skills. You must have taken on board Neil's generous & honest IG critique.

smiife
23rd June 2014, 09:09 PM
Hi guys,
Wow, this has become a hot topic thread:o
So i thought i would add my 2 bob, s worth
I received my couple of entries back safe and sound
well packed and a package of goodies of which i
am very appreciative of, thanks to the sponsers!
And then to my amazment 1st place!!! I could not
believe it, but then i realized i was the only one
who entered in that section , that is a pity really because there
was no other competition,,,!!
On a positive note , i would like to thank the
judges and the organizers for all there hard work
and time for what i thought was a very difficult
task , sure when organizing something on this scale
there will be mistakes,, we are all human......we all make mistakes!
On the postage side i bought quite a large post bag from
Australia post for $16.50,,,, which i thought was not too bad..
but i guess it depends on what you want to send in ,! ..?
Again i appreciated the opportunity to take part and have
learnt from the experience
Thanks guys

Tony Morton
24th June 2014, 10:18 AM
As I have been unable through other means to get an answer maybe someone here can tell me why? By the rules of the exhibition I am eligible to enter novice ,i entered Intermediate my entry form was crossed out and overwritten with open I am left wondering How Why or Who did this and Why.
Cheers Tony

Picko
24th June 2014, 10:56 AM
yes two years ago I got a third in open with 169 points

Tony
You say you got a third in open - the exhibition rules state

Open – no restriction on who may enter this section. Previous Open exhibitors plus
any exhibitor who has won four or more first places in the Intermediate Section in
previous Australian Woodturning Exhibitions, each with an allocation of 180 points, or
above, must enter the 2014 Exhibition in this section

Tony Morton
24th June 2014, 12:02 PM
Hi Picko yes I have the rules one third place with 169 points doesn't equal four wins.

Cheers Tony

Sturdee
24th June 2014, 12:39 PM
yes two years ago I got a third in open with 169 points

Cheers Tony

Tony, it's a progressive system whereby you progress from Novice to Intermediate to Open.

Once you have entered in Intermediate you can not go back to Novice neither once you've entered Open can you go back to Intermediate or Novice.

Having entered and received a third in Open you will alway be in the Open Section. Hence the committee changing your entry to Open was correct.

This may make it difficult for you and seem unfair and that's why Mobyturn's suggestion of a further Masters section makes such great sense.

Peter.

Christos
29th July 2014, 09:04 AM
The original purpose of this thread was to show some of the items that had been submitted for the competition/exhibition.

This is especially true for those of us that cannot travel the country to attend in person. This is the main reason that this thread has been reinstated.

As the thread contained some posts that were off topic of the original purpose these had been removed. It is for that reason that this thread had been closed.

Thank you