PDA

View Full Version : When it goes wrong

Dalboy
13th June 2014, 11:55 PM
Well while waiting for paint to dry on a toy train I put it out of the way and decided to do a little turning. Managed to complete two pieces but both are destined for the bin.

The first is a piece of beech and is 5" tall by 4 1/2" across

The second is Sapele which is 7 1/4" across and stand 1 1/2" tall

Pat
14th June 2014, 08:03 AM
Dal, why the bin?

chuck1
14th June 2014, 08:26 AM
Yes why the bin? Is there a big catch on the other side? Or you have a friend or customer called bin?

crowie
14th June 2014, 10:06 AM
:wts:????

artme
14th June 2014, 10:38 AM
:?:?:?

wheelinround
14th June 2014, 10:42 AM
Hey Dal you can stick them in a bin along with some E Oak, Elm, Yew & English beach I'll pm my details :U

Typical eh you'd think he'd at least burn them in a fire.:q

Dalboy
14th June 2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys just an explanation why I said bin but on second thoughts may have to do a little work and see if I can rescue them

The first one has three little dings in it 2 on the rim and one in the side, also the lip of the hole has a small split in it. All my fault I was buffing it and did not have a good grip on it and it went for flying lessons. http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/eusa_doh.gif
The second one would not take a finish in the middle and has a faint patchy look to it when it is held to the light http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/eusa_wall.gif

Will find out over the weekend if I can sort them out

Hermit
14th June 2014, 10:15 PM
:o:oo: Don't throw them out Derek! They're far too nice for that and look bloody good to me.

Just put the dings to the back with the first one. :wink:

Regarding the second not taking the finish well, the lid of a box I'm making has the same problem, but it's definitely not going into the rubbish. (In my case I think I sanded too much between coats of poly and went through to bare timber again.)

The small faults in our work might stand out to us, but not to others.

Edit: At first I thought you might have been referring to a charity's donation bin.

Christos
17th June 2014, 11:50 AM
Might be a bit of work to fix but worth it.

My suggestion for the hollow from make a lip for it and leave the ding.

With the other one sand the finish off and use shellac as your first coat. A very thin coat of shellac.

Dalboy
18th June 2014, 07:27 AM
Have not binned them yet keep looking at them and will try to rescue them.

Christos
18th June 2014, 08:26 AM
When I originally replied it was from the mobile and I could not see the work / decoration that you did on the side of the bowl. So my suggestion of sanding off the finish is going to be an incredible amount of work. I think there has to be another way.

LordBug
18th June 2014, 08:51 AM
Alternatively, consider the imperfections to be "character additions" ;)
My goodness is that beech vase beautiful.

Dalboy
20th June 2014, 06:30 AM
Alternatively, consider the imperfections to be "character additions" ;)
My goodness is that beech vase beautiful.

Can't get away with it unfortunately.

Glad you like the beech one I have some more to turn like this when I get around to it

chuck1
20th June 2014, 11:28 AM
So you have started the antiquing process early! Persevere with it! ?