PDA

View Full Version : John Ewart and the Skewart

hughie
15th June 2014, 10:34 AM
I see the John Ewart site is down

http://www.woodturninglessons.com.au/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

Is he still going strong? I'm chasing down some info on his skewart.

chuck1
15th June 2014, 11:27 AM
I made one, very handy for production turning! The initial grinding is a pain but once done its done,
going to make another one when I find the right tool steel!

Pat
15th June 2014, 12:03 PM
Hughie, John's article on the Skewart is in No 153 of the Australian Woodworker (Oct 2010). I'll have a look in my files when I go back up to the house . . .

chambezio
15th June 2014, 12:29 PM
Hey Pat. Do you have a computer in your shed??? I just noticed your post where you said you would look up the info when you went back to the house.
If you do have one set up and running what have you had to do to the environment that is where the computer is? Ie...dust, vermin etc. If I put one in my shed it would have to contend with rats, possum, sometimes a snake and at this time of the year temperatures that are close to 0°, not to mention the fine dust that seems to prevail

Sawdust Maker
15th June 2014, 02:31 PM
Hughie, John's article on the Skewart is in No 153 of the Australian Woodworker (Oct 2010). I'll have a look in my files when I go back up to the house . . .

Pat
Hughie has a copy of the article

Hughie
do you want his email address?

Christos
15th June 2014, 03:06 PM
Pat

Hughie

Acting personal assistant. :D

Pat
15th June 2014, 04:23 PM
Nick, no worries.

Rod, it's a lappy, with good ventilation, air filter and dust collector in the shed. I blow any errant dust out when noticed.

hughie
15th June 2014, 05:52 PM
Pat

Hughie
To the best of my knowledge I dont have a copy of the article as I dont buy the magazine. Sometime back Drillit said he was going send a copy I forgot and it looks like he did also :U
Yep send me the address via pm if you wish.

Sawdust Maker
15th June 2014, 08:22 PM
I was sure I emailed you a copy a while ago?

hughie
15th June 2014, 08:54 PM
I was sure I emailed you a copy a while ago?

Never got to me, sorry.

Pat
15th June 2014, 09:10 PM
Nick, while you are sending Hughie a copy, flick me one too. This has me intrigued. I'm enjoying working with my skews . . . Oh no I must be enjoying "real" turning, between centers! quick I better grab a bowl blank:U

Paul39
16th June 2014, 05:21 AM
Nick, while you are sending Hughie a copy, flick me one too. This has me intrigued. I'm enjoying working with my skews . . . Oh no I must be enjoying "real" turning, between centers! quick I better grab a bowl blank:U

BAH!!! Bowl turning is real turning, spindles are for entertainment. The skew is the most entertaining tool. :D:D:D

I would also like to see a photo of the business end of a skewart. I have searched all over, including Google.au and found references, but no photos.

chuck1
16th June 2014, 06:38 AM
This is my take of the skewart!

Paul39
16th June 2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks. Is the other side beveled the same way or flat?

chuck1
16th June 2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks. Is the other side beveled the same way or flat?

Yes it is hollow ground with same bevels each side!, and honed till razor sharp!

Oldgreybeard
16th June 2014, 09:20 PM
Chuck1,
Can you give some details as to dimensions - width, thickness of blade, angles of grind, etc.?
Is is used in a similar manner to a regular skew or does it have it's own "demons" to be mastered?

Thanks
Bob

Sawdust Maker
17th June 2014, 10:15 AM
similar to a skew but not with the long point which can be our undoing
John says it gives you two sweet spots to use

Sawdust Maker
17th June 2014, 10:37 AM
here's a basic drawing (forgive my execution)

His article said the chisel was originally 35mm wide and 8mm thick
and ground at 60 degrees

he later modified to an angle of 45 - 55 degrees

I've seen him use it but haven't tried it for myself

I'll ask the publisher if I can put the article up on the forum

chuck1
17th June 2014, 06:19 PM
Chuck1, Can you give some details as to dimensions - width, thickness of blade, angles of grind, etc.? Is is used in a similar manner to a regular skew or does it have it's own "demons" to be mastered? Thanks Bob hi Bob. The blank is 31mm by 6.5mm (because that's all I could find at work). The bevels are about 15 mm and the skew angle is 60 to 70 degrees. I kept a steeper angle as I found I was moving the handle around to get it to plane cut so thought make angle bigger on tool and then I was not moving my Back hand around as much. All bevels are hollow grind for honing purposes. No "demons " as such mainly moments of mind wandering! I find it handy as it saves time flipping the chisel over to go the other way, saving time ! I know some people will shake their heads but when there is 50 plus balusters to turn that 4 seconds adds up after 7 hours!