PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting woodturning...

RMilo
18th June 2014, 11:03 PM
Hey all, as the title says I'm thinking of starting woodturning. Not only for myself but for something to do with my dad as well, he's recently retired and is quite bored.

I've basically no experience with woodturning apart from some i did in school over 10 years ago, I still have the small bowl that I made though :P I figure it would be a pretty easy hobby to get into for both me and my dad and with all the information out there (youtube, forums ect) would be pretty easy to get help on techniques ect.

Thing is I'm pretty short on cash and don't want to spend heaps on new gear when I don't even know if its going to get used. I've fallen in that trap many times, buy something used it for a month or so then forget about it.
So I'm looking at 2nd hand lathes just for starters. I've had a browse through both eBay and Gumtree and there are a few cheap lathes there. Gumtree seems to have the best results for my area (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-camira-ipswich/lathe/k0l3005513r50?sort=closest) most of the lathes look 10+ years old and apart from a few are only about half the price of a new one.

So basically I'm looking for advise on buying a 2nd hand lathe for a beginner. I'd like to try everything with it, from pens to bowls to arty stuff. There is quite a bit of bushland near me aswell so I'd probably scavenge some wood from there so being able to turn hardwood is a plus, not sure how that effects a lathe.

artme
19th June 2014, 01:25 PM
G'day Milo and welcome to the top of the long slippery slope of the woodturning addiction!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You will find that the lathe is the least costly part of your new found interest. Tools, a grinder , chucks, drive centres and so on will soon add to your costs. However, sometimes you can be lucky and pick up a lathe with lots of those extras thrown in.

That lathe is probably not a bad little piece of kit, even if it won't handle bigger bowls and so on.

Keep an eye out for other bargains and see what comes up.

Good luck!!!

Treecycle
19th June 2014, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the forum RMilo. I am not sure which lathe you were interested in as the link only took me to Gumtree with lathes near you. If it was the Dynalink lathe I would stay away from it as it has many drawbacks such as light pressed metal contruction, no morse taper in the headstock or tailstock, and an uncommon thread on the headstock shaft. If it wasn't that one, then you might be on the right track. I saw another one listed which would be a better option , but it was in Gympie (Here (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gympie/other-tools-diy/wood-lathe/1048750119)). It is still at the lower end of the price range but would have all the basic necessities on it that are usually required, and a good starter unit. Just stay away from the light pressed metal ones and go for something with a cast iron bed as this helps to dampen vibration.
As artme said, the lathe can be the cheapest part of the turning slippery slope. As he also said, if you can get something with chisels, chucks, live centres etc, then you are well on your way.
I am suprised you did any turning at school if it was only 10 years ago. Good luck with it and I hope to see you joining us here with some of your creations.

RMilo
19th June 2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Was thinking that this (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-region/miscellaneous-goods/wood-lathe/1047988229) may be a good starter option, but from comparisons it looks like it has the same base as the mentioned dynalink. Guess I'll just keep an eye out and try and catch a deal and save up some cash in the meantime.

dai sensei
19th June 2014, 08:42 PM
Welcome RMilo. Rather than jumping in to buying a heap of gear, especially as it is yourself and your father, what about you both joining a turning club. There are some good ones around Bris and they provide the tools and lathes. They can teach you how to turn and you will gain a good appreciation of tools and machines. If you find you enjoy it and want to then purchase your own stuff you are off to a good start.

smiife
19th June 2014, 09:08 PM
Welcome milo,
What neil said would be a good starting point
Good luck!!!!!

Bluegum
19th June 2014, 09:24 PM
Hey milo, Neil is right, have a look at a local club to get you going. What part of Brisbane are you in mate? There's a club at greenslopes, bayside. I'm in the Ipswich club so have a look around. Great way to start & learn a bit and meet so great people who will be able to help you along

Paul39
20th June 2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. Was thinking that this (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-region/miscellaneous-goods/wood-lathe/1047988229) may be a good starter option, but from comparisons it looks like it has the same base as the mentioned dynalink. Guess I'll just keep an eye out and try and catch a deal and save up some cash in the meantime.

That is a nice stand but not quite worth $225. I have been given two of the lathes like the one on top of the stand. They are worth just a tiny bit more than what I paid for them. The tail stock breaks, the tool rest breaks, the bed flexes and vibrates.

Before spending a penny on turning stuff, if at all possible join a turning club and / or get some instruction, and / or go to some demonstrations.

Quite often someone will know a turner that is giving it up, or moving to an apartment, etc. and will have a complete set up for sale. All the little bits WILL cost more than the lathe.

Buying a lathe is like buying a CD or DVD player.

See this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=185596