PDA

View Full Version : What wood is this?

dougturner
20th June 2014, 11:53 PM
I would appreciate it if anyone in any forum could identify the timber this bowl is made from. I found it in my Dad's wood pile after he died, and it was a pretty horrible looking rough turned and oval blank that he had obviously turned green, as it still had the dates and weights written on it from back in 2008. Needless to say, it was REALLY dry by the time I put it on my lathe.

The bowl is now 180mm at its widest, and 75 mm high, and about 68mm deep inside with a couple of small filled cracks on the left inside. It is finished with Penetrol Wood Oil, and weighs (on kitchen scales) only 150 grams. I really would love to know what the wood is, if only for sentimental reasons, as it won't be sold or given away. Thanks for any help and any comments. Doug. :U

Hermit
21st June 2014, 12:24 AM
Nice bowl Doug, and a very good looking piece of timber. :2tsup:
A piece with meaning - they're the best ones.

Can't help with identifying it though. I'm hopeless at that.

chuck1
21st June 2014, 12:45 AM
Hi nice bowl! I might call it jacaranda! That's my guess!very nice bowl well done!

Paul39
21st June 2014, 04:52 AM
Tiswood as opposed to Taintwood. :D:D:D

Lovely bowl.

artful bodger
21st June 2014, 05:11 AM
Hi nice bowl! I might call it jacaranda! That's my guess!very nice bowl well done!

That was my initial guess as well.

BlackbuttWA
21st June 2014, 11:06 AM
Looking at the grain & your comments, IMO I think it is White Cedar also known as Cape Lilac or Chinaberry.
Botanical name is Melia azedarach.

I donated 14 blanks to http://www.mandurahwoodturners.com/ Novice Classes last year, all the oldies gave me heaps about the rubbish wood.
All the bowls turned out great, even the oldies where surprised.

HTH

Col

Cliff Rogers
21st June 2014, 06:13 PM
Looks like white cedar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melia_azedarach

mick59wests
21st June 2014, 08:29 PM
even before reading the other replies, I thought it was white cedar. It certainly looks more like that than jacaranda (of which I have some of both). BTW - very nice
cheers
Mick

dai sensei
21st June 2014, 08:36 PM
Another vote for White Cedar, wrong grain from Jac IMHO

dougturner
21st June 2014, 10:01 PM
Fellas, thanks for all your input. Now I think about it, it may well be White Cedar, as it came from the Hervey Bay area in Queensland, where my Dad lived, and he has given me other White Cedar over the years. The two pieces below are definitely White Cedar, but are again different from the bowl in question. On looking at the bowl again, the bowl is much darker than my photos, almost exactly the colour in the photo that Cliff posted. Thanks to all of you for your contributions. Am happy with White Cedar. Doug. :U317505317506

Cliff Rogers
21st June 2014, 11:17 PM
The timber in those last 2 photos is spalted & that changes the appearance.

chuck1
22nd June 2014, 10:48 AM
Forgot about white cedar, the white cedar if it is, that I have is creamer to pastel brown in colour for some reason!

Hermit
22nd June 2014, 11:27 AM
Forgot about white cedar, the white cedar if it is, that I have is creamer to pastel brown in colour for some reason!

Maybe your's is Calantis Cedar Charlie. It's very similar to White Cedar, but slightly more pinkish.

dougturner
22nd June 2014, 06:50 PM
Cliff, you are right, it is spalted. I forgot to mention that in my post. Thanks, Doug. :U

smiife
22nd June 2014, 07:52 PM
Hi doug,
Very nice bowl,looks great!!
Not real expert on the timber but could it be
Red cedar, that is light weight timber too !