PDA

View Full Version : Chuck on a tailstock?

Evanism
21st June 2014, 04:58 PM
I was googling for a 2" monster gouge when I found this at GPW: http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Accessories/M30-Tailstock-Chuck-Adaptor-p713.html

What the heck would you do with a chuck on your tailstock? I have never seen such a thing, ever....not a picture anywhere.

Anyone use one?

turnerted
21st June 2014, 05:12 PM
Very usefull for positioning a natural edge bowl on a vacuum chuck.This is a good price.I paid $50 for one that looks identicle from Mcjings a year ago.
Ted

fozz
21st June 2014, 05:17 PM
:whs: , works brilliantly :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st June 2014, 06:21 PM
Not having a vacuum chuck, I hadn't thought of that particular use. :think:

I originally bought mine for ensuring accurate reverse chucking but I've found a few other uses, including mounting irregular (not necessarily turned) shapes on a faceplate in the tailstock, for drilling or turning circular patterns in the face.

eg. drilling the centre of X-shaped "feet" for a lamp-stand, that was to big to spin w/out hitting the ways & too awkward to fit on my way-too-small drill press.

pommyphil
21st June 2014, 07:20 PM
Yes, a good price ! I use mine heaps, mostly with 30X3.5mm nuts for custom live centres like these317493317494317495317496 Cheers Phil.

issatree
21st June 2014, 07:57 PM
Hi All,
My Turner Friend paid a lot more than the $50 if I remember.

So, can I get a No.2MT x 10TPI, for the same price.
May have to ask Jim, CWS.

That was a great thought, but as I don't do Bowls, it still may come in handy.

nosnow
21st June 2014, 08:06 PM
Hi All,

So, can I get a No.2MT x 10TPI, for the same price.
May have to ask Jim, CWS.

http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Accessories/1-x-10-Tailstock-Chuck-Adaptor-p712.html

DaveTTC
21st June 2014, 10:27 PM
You might pick one up Jing's for $22 from memory.

The idea seems good. I have one but not used it yet

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

ian thorn
21st June 2014, 10:28 PM
Nova make an m2 that fits in the tailstock for their chucks to go on for the reason above and it doesn't have the add on shown
. Sorry if that is not clear I mean for putting your chuck with bowl attached into the tailstock to line it up on centre for a vaccume chuck or other means of holding in the headstock

powderpost
22nd June 2014, 08:21 PM
When I turn a bowl I like to make the foot to suit me, and not be dictated to by the limitations of a scroll chuck. I use a screw chuck fitted to the top of the bowl blank and turn the back, including the foot. Then I screw a sacrificial block to a face place and turn it to the same size and shape as the foot of the bowl. That tool is now fitted to the tail stock morse taper and the bowl, still on the screw chuck is screwed onto the tail stock. The bowl blank is now glued to the sacrificial waste block that is still screwed to the head stock. A very accurate procedure.

I find it tremendously useful for accurately gluing the two halves of a segmented hollow form together, a very useful tool.

Jim

TTIT
22nd June 2014, 09:39 PM
I use my Vermec built job for all of the above but....

Yes, a good price ! I use mine heaps, mostly with 30X3.5mm nuts for custom live centres like these
Cheers Phil.... hadn't thought of using it for big live centres like that - :C as if I don't have enough to do already :;

Evanism
19th July 2014, 03:26 PM
Received the doodad today and used it already.

The ideas of everyone here are all extremely good.

I'll definitely use it for:

- mounting a chuck to a bowl after turning the tennon (mine do tend to wobble and I can never get them aligned Just Right)
- powderpost reminded me of hollow and solid spheres. I've been hankering to make some for a while and this will let me do so.
- making a few of those cone chucks (thanks pommyphil)
- mounting a bowl onto my soon-to-be-made vacuum chuck (per another recent thread and thanks to Turnerted)

Not sure what SkewChiDamn meant, I'll perhaps wait for an example?

What an incredibly versatile addition.