PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for storing Woodturning Chisels?

brucefa
25th June 2014, 08:37 PM
Hi all, I am just about to move house and have a great opportunity to setup a bit of a 'man cave', complete with a second hand lathe that I have just purchased.
I am after ideas on how to store my set of chisels for the lathe. (I only have a relatively basic set to start with, but one that will no doubt grow with time and enthusiasm.)
Wall space is not a problem, as I have an area approx 3m x 3m that I can use for the 'cave'.
I have seen a number of threads on shed setup, but I am after ideas for the chisel storage and, I guess, the other associated bits n pieces that wood turners collect....
Any pics or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Bruce F

Treecycle
25th June 2014, 10:06 PM
This is my setup. The photo was taken some time ago and there have been quite a few additions to the accessory board.

hughie
25th June 2014, 11:28 PM
I have bench on wheels that I move around and around three sides are 50mm PVC vertical tubes that hold most of my turning gear.

mat_au
26th June 2014, 06:39 PM
i have the same as above but also use to magnets to make sure they stay there as well

chambezio
26th June 2014, 07:15 PM
Bruce, my wood lathe has moved around my workshop 3-4 times over 30 years. I still haven't found "The Ideal System" yet but still trying. What ever system you adopt make sure that it can be added to because turning is seriously addictive to the point I don't think you ever finish buying "must haves"

I noticed your joining date at 2009. You would have to be the longest "lurker" of the Forum!!! Good to see that you trust the rest of us to give you advice. Please keep us informed with your forward progress in your "new man cave". Oh and plenty of pictures- the motto reads "No photos....didn't happen"

Christos
26th June 2014, 07:58 PM
As mention on the previous post try and adjust to something that will be expandable. I originally had the chisels next to the lathe and now have out grown it. My thoughts are still next to the lathe but not have to reach over the lathe.

brendan stemp
26th June 2014, 08:05 PM
I have bench on wheels that I move around and around three sides are 50mm PVC vertical tubes that hold most of my turning gear.
Hughie, what sort of wheels have you used? I ask because I want to do something similar and thinkning that the right type of wheel would be needed to get over the all the mess on the floor.

chuck1
26th June 2014, 08:29 PM
My work selection of chisels/ gouges live in a custom tool roll the other ones live in a shelf all laid out and I grab the ones I'll need for the job I'm turning! Could be set up better!

brucefa
26th June 2014, 10:00 PM
I noticed your joining date at 2009...... You would have to be the longest "lurker" of the Forum!!! ....."
Yes, I looked at that myself a week or so ago. I seem to remember creating an account way back then for whatever reason but have not done anything about it until catching the turning bug a month or so ago.
(At least I assume that account was mine - the most likely password I would have used back then seems to work!)
Will take some 'before' pics when we move in mid next month and put it out there for suggestions.
Thanks everyone for your comments, looks like this will be an ongoing project that might be a good excuse to update a few items on my shopping list.
Bruce F

Mobyturns
28th June 2014, 08:43 AM
Safely! I'm definitely not a fan of caddy or low level systems that store gouges & skews etc point up when there is any possibility a trip or stumble could lead to a turner falling onto or into the nest of sharp edges. Also be very mindful of storing tools on a wall behind the lathe axis as eventually a turner will reach across a running lathe "to save a bit of time" and will run the risk of becoming entangled in the lathe - a very dangerous practice btw.

I store my gouges etc in wooden tool boxes with trays made to accommodate the tools similar to the attached photo. The trays have a similar profile top & bottom so they stack & preserve hard won sharp edges. Also very portable for attending clubs or collaboration type events. One tray has no rack on the bottom side but is fitted with a "jamb chuck" piece of wood that matches the bed way gap with a press fit. I then only have tools for my immediate work project "lying about" as the rest are stored in the tool boxes.

Like most turners I often find the only clear space available is the lathe bed, so I have another similar tray to fit the bed ways to serve as a working surface between turning for mounting blanks - saves the back. Another tray table fits a Vermec Camlock Table which slots into a spare banjo on the Woodfast 908.

Simple but effective.

brucefa
28th June 2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input, I was thinking about the safety aspect of having the tools behind the lathe, probably not the best option.
My thought is to mount the rack on a side wall, probably to the left of the lathe so I am not reaching over the work piece.
I have seen a number of designs for wall mounted tool storage, so will most likely modify one of them to suit.
Will post pics once I get going on the task. The problem may be finding my tools to build a toolbox to put my tools in......

Pat
28th June 2014, 09:14 PM
Bruce, something like the following pics, without the detritus of a days turnings on the bench . . .

Mobyturns
29th June 2014, 08:33 AM
Bruce, something like the following pics, without the detritus of a days turnings on the bench . . .

Plenty of nice toys hidden in that lot :D like the Woodcut tools - bowl saver, ER collet handle etc.

Old-Biker-UK
29th June 2014, 08:57 AM
Each handle is different so I know which is which.
More on the bench - not enough holes:no:
One thing to remember - hole must be smaller diameter than handle else they fall through onto the concrete floor (DAMHIK)
Mark

Sawdust Maker
29th June 2014, 10:16 AM
Pat

pleased to see you tidied up for the photo :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
29th June 2014, 10:41 AM
Here's my original rack
since remade so it can hold a couple more chisels
it is hinged so I can store other items behind it

318249 318248 318247

my newer rack at floor level for other chisels

318250 318251 318252

here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=132634)is a link to the thread on the floor level holders

the lathe is about to be resituated so all this is behind me - at the moment it is to my right

Pat
29th June 2014, 11:29 AM
Nick, are you going to clean out your tardis?

Sawdust Maker
29th June 2014, 11:53 AM
clean ... tidy .... get a grip
:no:

orraloon
29th June 2014, 01:54 PM
Old filing cabinet on wheels and add a tool rack on top.
Regards
John

Paul39
1st July 2014, 03:22 AM
Someone discarded a cabinet with nice varnished 1/2 inch plywood doors. I brought the doors home and bought magnets, but have not put it together.

The little shelf screwed to the bottom of the plywood is a rest for the handles, the two strip magnets are for longer and shorter tools. Magnet in blue.

Magnet, made in China, maybe sold in AU: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-magnetic-tool-holder-60433.html