PDA

View Full Version : woodfast mini lathe evs conversion kit

joevan
3rd July 2014, 11:35 PM
Does any one know if there are EVS conversion kits available for the Woodfast Wm 305 midi lathe? If they are available, where can they be bought and how much are they.

Joevan

Mobyturns
4th July 2014, 09:03 AM
Does any one know if there are EVS conversion kits available for the Woodfast Wm 305 midi lathe? If they are available, where can they be bought and how much are they.

Joevan

Joe contact David Drescher at SE QLD Woodworking Supplies, as he had a generic VS unit which we modified to fit a Nova Mercury lathe. Required reducing the motor shaft dia to fit the bottom pulley arbor and a slight mod for mounting.

powderpost
4th July 2014, 10:51 AM

Joevan

Hi Joevan, I got an EVS conversion kit for my Woodfast 305 from David Drescher at S.E. Qld Woodturning Supplies. It consists of a new motor and switch gear. You will need to remove the existing motor and bore new hole for the new motor and make a simple bracket for the switch. Remove the pulley from the old motor and it will slide straight on to the new motor. A simple conversion.
Might be a good idea to contact Jim Carroll, he may have one also.

Jim

chucky
4th July 2014, 02:09 PM
Joe talk to Max and Grahame at the club as they both have converted one of their lathes recently.Regards Ian

joevan
4th July 2014, 09:12 PM
Many thanks for the info. Will contact D Drescher on monday.

Joevan

dai sensei
4th July 2014, 09:14 PM
I installed the vsm kit to mine, got it from PSI in USA (Variable Speed Midi Lathe Conversion Kit: for Turncrafter , Jet and Delta Lathes at Penn State Industries (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html?prodpage=1TC)), easy to fit and gives me variable speeds on all the existing 5 belt speeds.

Not sure where you are, but I am in Melb at the moment, if you want to have a look.

Cheers

Mobyturns
5th July 2014, 08:20 AM
I installed the vsm kit to mine, got it from PSI in USA (Variable Speed Midi Lathe Conversion Kit: for Turncrafter , Jet and Delta Lathes at Penn State Industries (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html?prodpage=1TC)), easy to fit and gives me variable speeds on all the existing 5 belt speeds.

Not sure where you are, but I am in Melb at the moment, if you want to have a look.

Cheers

110 or 240V?

delbs
5th July 2014, 07:36 PM
Says on the website its 110. Might check out SE qld woodturning supplies for a 240v version

dai sensei
5th July 2014, 10:06 PM
110 or 240V?

110 volt, but I bought an inverter to suit, for another ~$35 off Ebay. It also runs my drill doctor and other tools I got from the US

I should also note that this makes the lathe VS, but is NOT the same as the VS Woodfast Midi, the 305X is more solid and actually a different lathe to the 305.

delbs
8th July 2014, 10:26 PM
Oh the m305x is a different weight?. I am pretty set on the m305x for pen turning