PDA

View Full Version : Mango Bowl

Pat
6th July 2014, 04:44 PM
Mango Bowl. I carved the spigot off with the Arbortech TurboPlane. This was just to practice taking the spigot off, as I have a few blanks larger than the 500mm (24") my Longsworth chuck can handle. Finish with Livos Kunos Oil no 244.Dimensions 410*60 (16 1/8* 2 3/8). When I was turning the spigot, I heard a strange sound, tick, tick, tick. There was a piece of metal embedded in the timber.318816318817318818318819

smiife
6th July 2014, 04:56 PM
Hi pat,
Nice bowl good size too,
The hole looks square, could be a horse shoe nail?
I like the finish and the shape of the top, but I always
try and follow the shape on the bottom too! but hey
thats just me!! :C well done !:;

powderpost
6th July 2014, 08:35 PM
Hi Pat, that looks like a nice job :2tsup:. There is a bit of mango up this way :wink: but unless it come from a mango farm we avoid it like the plague. Not uncommon to find star pickets, bits of chain, bullets etc. One bloke even found a gold fob watch in the fork of one tree.

Jim

chuck1
6th July 2014, 09:06 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to see the other ones when turned!

Cliff Rogers
6th July 2014, 11:35 PM
:2tsup:

Christos
7th July 2014, 11:38 AM
Very nice.

How long have you had the Arbortech?

wheelinround
7th July 2014, 11:49 AM
:B 650 Longworth chuck might just do the trick

Like the bowl great work Pat shame about the metal, guess the metal detector was in the draw of tool box:p

turnerted
7th July 2014, 05:05 PM
Nice bowl Pat.I have turned a few mango bowls but none had that nice pinkish yours shows.
Ted

Pat
7th July 2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks boys. Some replies

Smiife, Horse Shoe nail, one of the boys at work picked that as well. I chose a slightly convex bottom, as to have the bowl sit on the rim for stability. The blank was about 10mmthicker than the finished thickness. I use a 10mm spigot for my safety. I have had 6mm spigots break at speed, not fun.

Christos, I got that via the Brisbane show. First time I used it. Very controllable, if you take your time and secure the piece you are working on.

Ray, I'll stay with the 500mm one I have, tailstock support is really required, otherwise at that size it gets scary real fast.:;

Ted, I am more than happy with the range of colours in the bowl.

I think the final thickness of the bowl is between 10mm and 12mm, that seems to be a safe thickness for me, at that size.