PDA

View Full Version : Wood turning collections

jefferson
10th July 2014, 11:46 PM
All,

I've been an avid collector of turned items from all over the place (not OS at this stage). I've got stuff some Guilio M, Ken W., and a heap of others. Some items are missing from my collection. If Brendan and I could get along, I'd gratefully have one of his cantilevered boxes as pride of place. I really like those boxes.

Is it just me? I am certainly a tool sl$t with 3 Vicmarcs and a Stubby but I admire the work of others. Jim McC (Powderpost) for example turns boxes I would kill for. Others up north, well, Geoff, set your price.

I don't have a Raffan piece in my collection. Or Cindy Drozdsa. Or an Ellsworth. But I do have a Stephen Hughes piece that I bought for a song.

Sounds like it's getting expensive? You bet.

But once you own a decent piece, all you can hope/wonder is can I repeat it at the same standard?

I'd be interested in hearing whether other turners collect like it do. OCD?

artful bodger
11th July 2014, 12:05 AM
All,

Is it just me?
I'd be interested in hearing whether other turners collect like it do. OCD?

Hmmm.
Maybe it is just you.
Hard enough getting rid of ones own turnings to worry about collecting other turners wares. Lets face it, woodturning isn't "high art" worse luck.
Interested to see where this thread goes all the same.

issatree
11th July 2014, 12:11 AM
Hi Jeff,
I have a couple & free they were.
Many moons ago RR did a Demo at Devon Meadows, $25 in.
Played Musical Chairs, every time he stopped, so as everybody got a front seat.
Asked if anyone wanted to see something Turned.
I asked to see one of his Spindle turned thin 18in, Thingo.
It broke, asked if I wood like, Thank you very much, Richard.
In 2003 ?? I went to Newcastle, NSW to a Symposium, & Bonnie Klien was there, & the best of them all.
She was making Spinning Tops, with a Screw Finger Top.
At this stage I also was doing String Pull Tippee Tops, & I got to Swap for one of hers.
I use to sell mine for $40, then I found Bonnie's were $100. They were really a Stud Box, but also a Top.

Sir Stinkalot
11th July 2014, 12:24 AM
I'd be interested in hearing whether other turners collect like it do.

I purchased a cypress corkscrew from one of Geelong's best known turners ..... :aro-u: issatree ..... when I first met him in 1996 at a show in Belmont!
The problem is he didn't sign it with his famous pen so when the prices of his goods sky rocket in the coming years nobody is going to believe it is an original. :U

issatree
11th July 2014, 08:17 PM
Hi All + Stinky,
Well I'm lost for words, not really like me.
Well Corkscrews & Pens are very hard to Sign, so maybe that was the reason.
So what show was that in Belmont, Vic. back in 1996.
Really battling to work that one out ??.

Thank You for the Compliments, Sir.

Mobyturns
12th July 2014, 01:29 PM
Jefferson,

Not having plenty of spare cash I too have a small but interesting collection of wood turnings that have more sentimental value than monetary value although some are by some pretty big names now. I have mostly obtained through swaps, or auctions and some very unexpectedly as gifts - thank you Guilio, a most appreciated gesture. Some are unfinished demo items but that doesn't matter to me, they still have great sentimental value.

I can gloat I have a Powderpost piece, a very nice screw lidded box with MOP insert, but am yet to acquire a Ken Wraight piece.

I haven't seen much of your work Jefferson but perhaps we could arrange a swap. I can't hang on to my spin tops & bowls as they are very popular swap items.

elderly
12th July 2014, 04:16 PM
I did have a small collection but sadly lost in the Black Saturday Fires. They included a Bert Marsh and a Phil Irons piece. I do however have a large Brendon Stemp platter.
Cheers Frank.

jefferson
12th July 2014, 04:27 PM
Geoff, I've seen your work at the Exhibition and would love to do a swap. What say I take a lump of redgum down to Ken Wraight's place next week, get some guidance and turn you a nice platter? Let me know what size in diameter - Ken's 1200 Stubby will take large stuff but too large is unusable.

You are fortunate to have some of Jim's work. Bugger can turn, no question, and he's inspired me into getting into segmented work.

I do have some of Ken Wraight's work, including a box you named for him - Vena Amoris. Do you remember it on WOW?

I've also got a lovely box from Guilio (plus a vessel), a Pat Kramer piece we won at Turnfest.... Who else? Bill Donaldson, Cliff Walsh, 2 great pieces from Ed Reiss (USA), Vic Wood, a Vic Wood/ Ken W collaboration piece.... Al Stirt (a Turnfest Demo piece). John Pickles, Ross Hedt, Paul Croese, Les Hite, Robert Wilson. Harry Dennis, Doug Malsem, Stephen Hughes. And lots more.

If Neil Ellis would keep his hands in his pockets, I would have a lot more from the auction table at the Down Under Turn Around.

And yes, an egg and egg cup from Jim which he gave to my wife the year we went to Proserpine! As you said, every piece brings back a memory.

Mobyturns
12th July 2014, 07:56 PM
I did have a small collection but sadly lost in the Black Saturday Fires. They included a Bert Marsh and a Phil Irons piece. I do however have a large Brendon Stemp platter.
Cheers Frank.

Send me a PM and we will see about adding a little something to your collection.

Geoff, I've seen your work at the Exhibition and would love to do a swap. What say I take a lump of redgum down to Ken Wraight's place next week, get some guidance and turn you a nice platter? Let me know what size in diameter - Ken's 1200 Stubby will take large stuff but too large is unusable.

And yes, an egg and egg cup from Jim which he gave to my wife the year we went to Proserpine! As you said, every piece brings back a memory.

Jeff we will confirm a swap through PM, I'm partial to a piece turned under Kens watchful eye. Maybe a platter under 450mm don't want to stress the Stubby too much. :wink: Let me know what you would like as a swap piece so I can get my act together.