PDA

View Full Version : doing the hard way, I should live in FNQ

hughie
13th July 2014, 09:05 AM
This has been a pain from start to finish, mainly my fault as I couldnt decide which way to go dark-light or whatever. I coloured the outside with Burgundy spirit stain, didnt like it so sanded it off did the same for the inside and removed it only to put it back. Settled on dark inside and rim and the foot has been done as well. Add to that enumerable interruptions and cold weather with the WOP not going off etc . The joys of a unheated tin shed for a workshop. Probably brought this all on myself as I am trying to finish several pieces at once with the weather being a total pain, low temps and all.

Burgundy spirit stain topped off with Satin WOP 7x5" in Silky Oak and your comments are welcome

Mobyturns
13th July 2014, 09:16 AM
Hughie, even living in FNQ has its trials & tribulations and Minwax WOP has its dramas here too. I have found some timbers just do not like WOP so it is hard enough to build coats in normal weather conditions. I found it tended to wick towards the sharp edges and took forever to dry on those edges in cool or moist conditions. Your piece has lots of those edges and (southern) silky oak is not the friendliest for WOP.

Very nice piece though & lovely neat spirals.

chambezio
13th July 2014, 09:52 AM
WOW!!! Another beautiful job Hughie.
Do you have any duds:D? Come on tell the truth now, is there a pile in the back yard of ones that never made it?:U Just kidding. your results that we see here are a glimpse of your abilities and perseverance! Your family must be thrilled to receive them as presents

Christos
13th July 2014, 10:23 AM
Another nice piece.

I think the piece is better to be darker inside as if it was the other way around it would require a more open piece to allow as much light in to avoid the shadows.

Paul39
13th July 2014, 10:53 AM
Hughie,

Very nice piece. I like the dark inside.

I too work in an unheated space. I will work in it down to about 5 degrees C. I use tung oil applied on bowls revolving on the lathe. I will apply a light coat, then warm with a hair dryer, buff, repeat. I can get two coats in about 20 minutes, then let it sit overnight.

I'm assuming you apply the WOP off the lathe.

You might want to make a box, maybe from cardboard to try. Have a raised place to set your piece, then warm it with a 40 - 60 watt lamp set inside to get your finish to dry. A hair dryer on low poked in a hole in the bottom with a hole in the top would also work.

I would not leave this unattended, and keep an eye on how warm it gets inside. A dial food service thermometer with the stem poked inside would help.

If that works, a dead dorm room refrigerator with a lamp inside and a few holes drilled in the bottom and top to get air circulation might work.

If you apply WOP while held on the lathe, slowly revolving while applying heat from a hair dryer might work for you.

powderpost
13th July 2014, 01:00 PM
Very nice piece of work Hughie. :2tsup:
Don't know about moving up here, it is pretty cold here too, got down to 18 deg C today... :D
Jim

hughie
13th July 2014, 01:10 PM
Very nice piece of work Hughie. :2tsup:
Don't know about moving up here, it is pretty cold here too, got down to 18 deg C today... :D
Jim

It hit 2' one night here......:U

Paul thanks for that info I actually do have a cardboard box with small bulb, a bit too small I think. Yes the WOP is applied off lathe.

Chambezio, :U not too many duds, the secret is to constantly monitor as you go and make whatever changes required. I start out with a clear idea of what I want but nothing is written in stone.

Mobyturns , Yeah WOP has its good points but as you say it aint for everything.

Christos I tried several variations dark /light , light/dark, less dark more dark etc, too many tries and I tend to confuse my self :U

smiife
13th July 2014, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=powderpost;179045nice piece of work Hughie. :2tsup:
Jim[/QUOTE]

Hi hughie,
Very nice piece, I like the dark Inside too !
We had a minus 8º a few mornings last
week,,,,:o those queenslanders would not know
what cold Is....

Mobyturns
13th July 2014, 07:07 PM
Hi hughie,
Very nice piece, I like the dark Inside too !
We had a minus 8º a few mornings last
week,,,,:o those queenslanders would not know
what cold Is....

When it gets below 20C that's cold - isn't it? :rolleyes:

It does get cold up in Jim's neck of the woods, but the Atherton, Herberton - Ravenshoe area a bit south of Jim is too cool for me.

powderpost
13th July 2014, 07:42 PM
When it gets below 20C that's cold - isn't it? :rolleyes:

Yep... :oo: :D
Jim

smiife
13th July 2014, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=Mobyturns;1790543]When it gets below 20C that's cold - isn't it? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]

Nnaahhh!! We are expecting -5ºin the morning
Toughen up you banana benders!:U:U

wheelinround
13th July 2014, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=Mobyturns;1790543]When it gets below 20C that's cold - isn't it? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]

Nnaahhh!! We are expecting -5ºin the morning
Toughen up you banana benders!:U:U

Thats warmer than your temp yesterday -8C

Evanism
14th July 2014, 03:24 AM
You whimps. It was minus 6 here tonight and I've just come in from the shed....2am. There is a 1/10th degree bar fridge thermometer hanging on the wall next to my beer fridge....minus 3 it read.

I kept warm by sanding six new chairs! Hard work sanding!

Native Canberran with Viking genes :) almost thought of flipping the heater on :)

Old Croc
15th July 2014, 09:09 PM
Hughie, not sure about wanting to be in FNQ, but here in NQ we have our own problems. Rains for 3 months then usually no more for the rest of the year, but so far we have picked up some odd showers. Absolute pain trying to spray lacquer finish, one day 80% humidity, next 20%, not fun at all. But that's one of the small sacrifices for living in Paradise.
When I left Paul in North Carolina last year it was - 5 ° C, and that was Autumn, you can keep that, I am going back in his summer next time.
Rgds,
Crocy.