PDA

View Full Version : Help on what kind of glue to use

Craigt
23rd June 2005, 09:47 PM
Could some one please help me and inform me on what type of glue is best for glueing the timber blanks onto the brass sleeve.I have been using that 5min arildite stuff but it doesn't seem to stick that well to the timber, and i have a bad success rate, is there a special way to glue the sleeve in.

I will be greatfull for any help.

Regards pen turner learner.

Craig

trevor1
23rd June 2005, 10:06 PM
Hi Craig

Make sure you rough up the brass sleeve first, i put mine in the jaws of the cordless drill,with just enough tension to hold the tube without crushing it, then run the drill at a slow speed hold some coarse grade sandpaper against the tube , them i use slow setting ca and leave it to dry for about an hour, i havnt had any problems, i use the same method with timber and acrylic pen balnks.

Trev

Babytoolman
23rd June 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi Craig,

I use yellow wood glue and supa glue. With the yellow wood glue i use it if i have plenty of time to let them set over night. With supa Glue i make sure i am very fast when i insert the tube as they can get half way in and set and then you loose a tube.

Good luck.

Roger

fxst
24th June 2005, 12:15 AM
i insert the tube as they can get half way in and set and then you loose a tube.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roger if that happens just put the wood into the lathe and turn down the wood until the tube free. Works for me :D
Pete

dai sensei
24th June 2005, 09:01 PM
I used to use PVA but had trouble due to heat from turning/sanding. I've also had trouble with epoxy as it is generally too thick to give a good coating/bond around the tube.

Like Trev, I now use CA, the middle one (comes usually in 3 thicknesses - thin, gap seal and thick). I do use a bit of wet and dry to roughen the surface. I pour some down the pen blank, and put some on the tube, then twist the tube as you insert it. I let set for at least 2 hours before turning.

Cheers

PoPnBuG
25th June 2005, 05:29 AM
I use one of the poly glues, Gorilla.

I let it dry for 24 hours, however, so it is not for one to turn quickly. I have very good results. I use a bamboo skewer to distribute the glue inside the blank. The glue sets up with moisture, so I just breathe through each tube for a couple of seconds before I apply the glue to the wood.

I also rough up the brass, I hold mine on a dowel and use a palm sander, but rough is rough, any way you want to do it!

rsser
25th June 2005, 05:41 PM
Had no trouble with 5 min epoxy. Slop plenty on the tube, some in the blank. Put a potato plug in the tube before pushing it into the blank to stop the glue running inside it. Rotate the tube while inserting to spread the glue. Wipe the bottom clean when they're lined up, push the plug out with a skewer or chop stick. Let the plug dry then shallow fry and serve with chicken salt.

Edit: PS It might be 5 min. epoxy but I leave it overnight to harden properly. Should be called '5 min and overnight epoxy' but I guess the marketing pple would choke on that.

NewLou
25th June 2005, 05:47 PM
Gidday CraigT

I'd use Epoxy.......................If you prep and setup right you'll have no probs

REgards Lou

Craigt
25th June 2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the helpfull tips, I'll Have a go and see if a can get a few winners.

Cheers Craig