PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl

Ticky
19th July 2014, 09:46 PM
I went to my woodworking club today & had a crack at turning a bowl. I had a fair bit of help from one of the blokes there & I learnt a lot. I learnt when you want to have a crack at your first bowl, it's prolly not a great idea to start with a chunk of Mallee Stump, but it was fun & I think it will be a nice bowl, even if it wont hold smarties.

TTIT
19th July 2014, 10:07 PM
Hmmm :think: Natural edge with voids :think: Nothing like starting at the top is there :2tsup:

Mobyturns
20th July 2014, 10:04 AM
Hmmm :think: Natural edge with voids :think: Nothing like starting at the top is there :2tsup:

Hmm all right. I'm with Vern :think: It looks good so far. :2tsup: Looks like you have an instructor who knows his stuff so I'm looking forward to viewing the completed bowl. :D

Hope he has put you on the right path wrt wearing a good impact rated face shield like an Armadillo and safety specs etc. Maybe a good idea to get them before doing the inside.

ps have a look in the "Clubs" forum for "Lathe Safety Guidelines" may help you along.

Stay safe.

Paul39
20th July 2014, 11:07 AM
Ticky,

When you turn that around to do the inside, put a few wraps of tape around it close to the rim. Might keep from getting a face full of fast moving timber. I use 3 layers of 1 inch paint masking tape.

Nice looking bowl. You will probably learn more on this one than doing 10 easier ones.

Ticky
20th July 2014, 02:14 PM
Ticky,

You will probably learn more on this one than doing 10 easier ones.

Thank you all for the great tips. I joined my woodwork club to learn how to turn. I recently bought a lathe & have been enjoying making a few pens. I love making pens, but I want to have a go at bowl turning as well.

I aquired this mallee stump off of my Brothers fire wood heep the other day & had to have a crack at it. For the benefit of Paul, and anyone else that is not sure what a Mallee Stump is, Mallee is a small scrub gum (Eucalypt) that grows in the dryer parts of Australia, often in sandy soil, and it has roughly the same tensile strength as Spring Steel.

I do realise this was a bit on the ambitious side for a first bowl, but as I said, I had a lot of help. The club I joined is part of Woodgroups SA & is very well run with a safety officer on duty (not woodworking) at all times. I wont be doing anymore to this until next months meeting, but I might have a go at something a bit softer & easier to turn at home.

Steve

Ticky
10th August 2014, 02:06 AM
Got a bit more done today.

I snapped the spigot off the base while turning out the inside, so I had to re mount it back onto the face plate & clean that mess up & then turn out the center to allow the chuck to expand into it.

We'll see how this goes.

Steve

Big A
10th August 2014, 09:41 PM
Been there, done that. That is why I use the tailstock for as long as possible, even though it makes hollowing out a lot more difficult. As well, with the dry woods that I use, the spigot/tenon seems to crack off easily, or the expanding jaws crack out. Probably just me and my light touch, though!

I should have got some Mallee when we were in Vic a couple of months ago.

Alister.

Ticky
11th August 2014, 01:33 AM
Glad it's not just me then.

Yeah, it's nice, but pretty hard.

steve

Evanism
11th August 2014, 03:21 AM
You've snapped your first bowl. This is the first of hundreds. :)

I've snapped a few in spectacular style and even had a big hunk hit me fair in the face with terrific force. Blood and guts everywhere. Broken nose, torn cartilage, split bridge and two panda eyes for 2 months.

Advice from Mobyturns is spot on: Invest in a high impact face shield and learn to leave it on 100% of the time.

It's a great sport and highly satisfying....it will addict you!

Christos
11th August 2014, 07:41 PM
I think this could turn out to be quite nice bowl.

Ticky
12th August 2014, 08:50 AM
I hope your right Christos.

I'm sure it will look nice if I don't bugger it up. The old Mallee stump has some lovely secrets hidden away, If only I can reveal them.

Steve

Ticky
14th September 2014, 10:55 AM
Another month has passed & I went to my woodwork club again yesterday. I have finished turning my bowl & have started to sand the inside. It's a bit chunky, but I like it. I hope you do to.

Steve

hughie
14th September 2014, 06:12 PM
Glad it's not just me then.

Yeah, it's nice, but pretty hard.

steve

I think we have all been at some time. :U and we all start out clunky too. :2tsup:

Simplicity
14th September 2014, 06:20 PM
That looks great.
Don't worry my first piece l
Thought looked great viewing horizontal on the lathe.
My wife sore it vertical and asked if it was a commission for and adult only shop lol

Christos
15th September 2014, 10:38 AM
It has come up nice.

Ticky
19th October 2014, 01:30 AM
I have finally finished my Mallee Stump Bowl.

I hope you like it.

Steve328581328580328579