PDA

View Full Version : Big mistake today

chuck1
23rd July 2014, 08:50 PM
I had to turn balusters today! Fairly straight forward, then I had a couple of posts for the same job. And forgot to change the speed from 1800rpm what a heart starter! I heard a bang seconds after turning lathe on and switched it off to late.
It didn't come out but ripped it off the original centres I set it on!
I'm feeling very silly. And thankful it didn't end worse!
sorry no photos but it did happen! So a 90 by 90 and 1,5 metre long post 1800 rpm is to fast! 850 rpm is much more manageable!

Pat
23rd July 2014, 08:55 PM
Chuck, your not the only one. Sunday, I threw a bowl blank, out of round and not particularly balanced on the lathe. I always return the speed to 0, don't I. It was full pelt for that pulley (2700rpm). Luckily for me, my control box is at the tailstock end andI had the tailstock up supporting the job. Certainly got rid of any sense of blase.

Mobyturns
24th July 2014, 08:03 AM
Hmmm :rolleyes: something that I guess we have all done at some time :-.

No matter how much of a rush we may be in it still pays off handsomely to set up a routine of going through the check list, remove chuck keys / tommy bars, remove loose items, blank clearance, belt setting, speed, tail stock clamp, banjo clamp, tool rest clamp, safety glasses, face shield, respiratory & hearing PPE etc esp when changing tasks.

Also saves on washing powder :D

chuck1
24th July 2014, 09:59 AM
Wow Pat that's sounds more scary than what happened to me!

Moby I can't remember the last time I stuffed up like that. I am usually very conscious about the mental check list and speed check is the second thing I check on in setting up.
First is mark timber any reference lines and Centre and lay first one one lathe.
next speed
continue setting tailstock and toolrests
place timber between centres readjust tool rest check tail stock
free spin timber by hand make sure it's not binding/ hitting and pop on face shield respirator, select skews and gouges necessary for job
power up and turn!
Before powering up I'll add a 2nd speed check!

tea lady
24th July 2014, 10:33 AM
Hmm. yes. I bent a bloody big live center putting a pine log up to the next speed. 1.5 meter long. 350mm round. It came out. Kind of in slow motion. Ah so that's why I was for ever told to stand to one side when you turn the lathe on again when changing speed. ...... OK how do I get it back up when I can't lift it and I can't get the fork lift around there? .... Also note to self, pine is a bit soft to hold the spurs properly. Slow is fast enough for it.

Also got tricked once with one of those older lathes that have a mechanical speed change thing that you can only change while it is going. Should have turned it on BEFORE I put the bowl blank on so I could turn it down. .... Ah so that's why you even get the bloke on the other side of the lathe room to move out of the way when you start a lathe up.

Oldgreybeard
24th July 2014, 10:40 AM
I also plead guilty, but thought it was a result of 'Old-timers syndrome' - not something that real turners would do.

Until it happens, it is easy to get carried away with the anticipation of turning a beautiful peice of wood and forget the essentials or take shortcuts. DON'T DO IT - we only have one set of eyes, one life - saving a few seconds is just not worth it.

So glad there were not serious injuries.
Bob

Hermit
24th July 2014, 10:54 AM
A good reminder to follow the rules. Each time I read one of these stories, I become a little more careful myself when starting up.
Glad it didn't come right out and you weren't hurt.

Pat raises a good point - position of the control box. I need to fit a remote 'off' switch at the tailstock end, for quick shutdown when something like this happens. I don't fancy walking past the off-centre/broken workpiece to turn off the lathe.:no:
(My switch & speed control are on the headstock.)

issatree
24th July 2014, 11:15 AM
Hi All,
Some of you may laugh at what I'm about to say, so what.
I've also lost timber from the Lathe, but I don't any more as I made a new Drive Dog, quite a bit earlier than the serrated steb centre ones out now.

Mine is just a Ring & Cone, same as the Tail Stock end, only Solid.
Slips occasionally, but at least it does not come out.

These are easily made, by using an older No.2 MT Drill Bit. Remove the drill bit end, drive the MT into the head, & with a strong Gouge, just turn it down to what you want.
Of course you can do it ???.
HSS against Carbon Steel. Done it many times.
Just sometimes, you may have to heat & then cool the end before Turning it, as it maybe a bit hard. Have a go, it is very easy, & much safer than the X drive dogs.

tea lady
24th July 2014, 11:25 AM
Hmm. When things get really long the drive spur is the least of your worries. The wood turns into a piece of spaghetti and just flexes out. Or bends the shaft in my case. :C:U

Anyway, Just stand to the side when you turn on the lathe. Especially when you are changing speed. Check the tail stock frequently, winding it in when necessary. No matter how trustworthy you reckon your equipment is. Always good habits. So they are just done without thinking and you will do them when you are to tired to when things might go wrong.

hughie
24th July 2014, 12:09 PM
Hmmm :rolleyes: something that I guess we have all done at some time :-.

No matter how much of a rush we may be in it still pays off handsomely to set up a routine of going through the check list, remove chuck keys / tommy bars, remove loose items, blank clearance, belt setting, speed, tail stock clamp, banjo clamp, tool rest clamp, safety glasses, face shield, respiratory & hearing PPE etc esp when changing tasks.

Also saves on washing powder :D

But you do give the heart a good work out .....:U

Bluegum
24th July 2014, 08:50 PM
Great thread this and thanks to all posters. Reminds us all how something simple can go wrong. Never hurts to do that second check on things.

Mobyturns
25th July 2014, 08:57 AM
A good reminder to follow the rules. Each time I read one of these stories, I become a little more careful myself when starting up.
Glad it didn't come right out and you weren't hurt.

Pat raises a good point - position of the control box. I need to fit a remote 'off' switch at the tailstock end, for quick shutdown when something like this happens. I don't fancy walking past the off-centre/broken workpiece to turn off the lathe.:no:
(My switch & speed control are on the headstock.)

For lathes with fixed controls it pay to position the lathe so the power point (isolating switch) is at the tail stock end of the lathe. A simple but effective safety control as all power can be isolated with out going into the danger zone (red zone) to access the lathes controls.

One thing many wood workers / turners should (must) do is take SWMBO out to the shed and show them what to turn off before helping you. I know its risky business letting them in the shed but it may also save their life as well as yours if the worst should happen.

Hermit
25th July 2014, 09:06 AM
For lathes with fixed controls it pay to position the lathe so the power point (isolating switch) is at the tail stock end of the lathe. A simple but effective safety control as all power can be isolated with out going into the danger zone (red zone) to access the lathes controls.

One thing many wood workers / turners should (must) do is take SWMBO out to the shed and show them what to turn off before helping you. I know its risky business letting them in the shed but it may also save their life as well as yours if the worst should happen.

Two very good points. I can't move the lathe, and the power-point is behind the headstock on the wall, but until I fit a remote switch I've added an extension lead that can be unplugged from the (safe) tail-end of the lathe. I'll order a switch and mount it ASAP, in series with the main switch.

I don't have a SWMBO, so don't have to follow that step. I just have to take extra care and as many precautions as possible, because no help will be coming. If I was laying injured, no one would know for possibly days.

doug3030
25th July 2014, 09:18 AM

:whs:

Several years ago I took the girlfriend out to the shed and asked her about what she would do if she found me injured or otherwise in danger.

I was impressed when she told me the first thing would be to turn off the power at the main switch before touching me if I was unconscious. And she already knew where the mains switch was because she had already thought about the possibility and done her own planning. We did talk a bit about the characteristics of the machines so that she understood where the danger might lie, but all in all she already had a good understanding.

I am probably lucky, she is highly trained in first aid, having been a Queens Scout and is generally pretty level-headed. I have seen her remain calm in an emergency, but I cannot be totally sure that she won't act instinctively instead of logically if I was the injured party. Hopefully I will never need to find out.

Cheers

Doug

Paul39
25th July 2014, 11:21 AM
Air line and Air Force pilots have a check list that is run through before starting engines and before take off. For some aircraft it is a good sized book. It would not hurt to have a check list on a card behind the lathe, especially if one gets into the shed off and on.

Even experienced turners, as noted above, can be distracted. Habit can be a good thing. If we start with a check list and follow in the same order every time, it will become a habit that we don't have to think about, much like stopping for a red light or stop sign.

The switch on my Hegner is behind the headstock. When I mount an new blank I go to the left of the headstock to turn on the lathe for 15 seconds or so. I recently bought an E-Stop which will be wired in and placed on the tail stock. My Woodfast came with a owner made E-Stop on a magnet which I stick on the bed to the right of the tail stock.

I have had a few adventures with a piece splitting or coming out of the lathe. So far I have not been badly hurt. One piece went straight up, broke two florescent tubes, came down and landed on my arm which was covered with broken glass. I looked as though I had been to an ax murder.

Paul39
25th July 2014, 11:25 AM
I see my computer has become possessed again and is not making paragraphs. I'll try to fix it my previous post.