PDA

View Full Version : Short/low stools

artful bodger
31st July 2014, 09:17 PM
Huon pine tops, approx 400mm x 55mm
Horizontal scrub legs.
Tops have been turned with a 25mm radius to look thinner than the actual thickness.....
Horizontal scrub legs turned with a 30mmx30mm shouldered dowell/pin epoxy glued joint.
Since coffee tables and regular chairs have roughly the same height these could be either spare chairs or small coffee table.

TTIT
31st July 2014, 10:19 PM
Horizontal and Huon together! - couldn't get any more Taswegian than that! :; Nice job :2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
31st July 2014, 11:04 PM
I have some sticks of horizontal that I got in a stash I inherited with a lathe I bought. Was pondering something like this. :)

JDarvall
1st August 2014, 07:30 AM
cool bananas.

Never heard of horizontal scrub wood till now….for a moment thought it was a cheeky term for any old timber found on the ground.

It sounds like one of those timbers that drys well in log form. (?)

artful bodger
1st August 2014, 10:29 AM
cool bananas.

Never heard of horizontal scrub wood till now….for a moment thought it was a cheeky term for any old timber found on the ground.

It sounds like one of those timbers that drys well in log form. (?)

You don't often see "logs" of the stuff. 150mm dia would be considered a large bit.
It is a rainforest understory type of scrub that sends up slender trunks toward the canopy and the light above.These slender trunks tend to get blown/snowed down to a horizontal position. After that new trunks shoot upwards from the horizontal one and eventually they too get blown/snowed and the process continues. It eventually creates a real tangled thicket thats near impossible to walk through, in fact it's sometimes easier to walk over it.
It does dry really well in the round, what's more is that the bark latches firmly on as it dries which makes it ideal for bush stlye furniture.
It is also incredibly strong.

Christos
1st August 2014, 07:44 PM
That's quite a contrast. You are right in the top seems thinner.

tdrumnut
2nd August 2014, 08:34 AM
Cool, I like em

Bluegum
3rd August 2014, 09:00 PM
Looks awesome. :2tsup::2tsup: