PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Knob is worn out.

Grunt
26th June 2005, 11:09 AM
I sad to report that my knob is worn out. I need a new one. I was wondering if any of you out there in wood turning land would like to make me a new one?

We have a wood heater that has a wooden knob that controls the air flow to the heater box. The heater gets bloody hot and over time has burnout the threaded knob. I've attached a couple of pictures. The dimensions are about:

22mm in diameter
30mm long
The threaded rod is 3/16th of an inch.

I'll gladly buy a beer or two and pay for postage to anyone who would like to help a man with a worn out knob.

Grunt

Groggy
26th June 2005, 11:37 AM
I don't have a lathe but sometimes I'll turn little stuff like that on my drill press and use files.

Thought I'd add a little more info:

Drill the hole first.
Put a (firm fit) bolt through and chuck the bolt.
Apply file to get to dimension.
Apply sandpaper.

Done.

jo_sepi
26th June 2005, 01:19 PM
:eek: sounds painful:o

arose62
26th June 2005, 02:17 PM
I think anyone who wants to help may need a bit more information...

do you want it hard- or soft-wood?

maybe a redwood?

or ebony, so you could have a big black knob?

could the replacement knob be embellished with ridges and grooves, for a better grip?

Alternatively, if the problem is just that the hole's become a bit sloppy, could you pack it with Araldite or similar?

Cheers,
Andrew

Grunt
26th June 2005, 02:28 PM
Captain Chaos has very kindly agreed to make me a new knob at a very reasonable price. Free. He is making it out of jarrah and I'll leave the artistic decisions to him.

arose62
26th June 2005, 03:31 PM
If you don't let the Araldite set, once you screwed it, the knob would be stuck there permanently.

Wouldn't it ???

Cheers,
Andrew

goodwoody
26th June 2005, 05:30 PM
Heh Grunt I would have to say that your knob is not the prettiest knob I've seen. Damien. :p

bitingmidge
26th June 2005, 05:43 PM
Damn you Grunt!!! I wasn't going to make any sawdust today, now look what you've made me do!

You see my knob too, was showing signs of deterioration, my hand kept hitting the door whenever I gave it a twist.

I went out all inspired to spend 10 minutes at the lathe, but burnt the forstner bit into the hole, instead of spending two minutes cutting it out and another ten making a new one, I spent 45 gently coaxing it free.

Looks better than the cracked and charred old bakelite one though.

I made it out of some of my stock of reject flooring (laminated with PVA) Finish of course is Shellawax after buffing with EEE (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm).

Now what was I going to do today????

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Grunt
26th June 2005, 06:37 PM
Heh Grunt I would have to say that your knob is not the prettiest knob I've seen. Damien.

Can't say I'm an expert but I'm must say that Midges knob looks a lot better than mine. I can't wait to get my new knob.

Grunt
26th June 2005, 06:38 PM
I hope the rest of you aren't knob snobs.

JDarvall
26th June 2005, 06:48 PM
lucky bugger.......wish I could say the same....

goodwoody
26th June 2005, 07:04 PM
I think midges knob is a little bigger toooooooo! :D

Zed
26th June 2005, 07:11 PM
has anyone else noticed the midges concerted efforts to push the bbs sponsors product in his posts recently ? is he pushing for a role as moderator ? :confused: :confused:

grunt, a mexican knob with a face like a shovel spattered bulldog - I dont think so... I betcha doesnt do squat about this thread...

bitingmidge
26th June 2005, 07:42 PM
has anyone else noticed the midges concerted efforts to push the bbs sponsors product in his posts recently ? is he pushing for a role as moderator ? :confused: :confused:

.... I confess!!! I have been trying to push the sponsor's product! (But only when I actually use it.... ;) ) Al started it actually with his footer! and I thought it was a darned good idea.

Some recent posts have confirmed my thoughts that the sponsors product was not particularly well signposted to casual visitors, so I thought I'd do my bit to draw their attention it. For those in the know, well they'll just have to get used to the blue writing!

Now as for a role as moderator...... well if I was, that comment would be redirected to the Jokes Forum! :o :o :o

Besides... while I'm sure that MKFL does a great job, nothing makes a knob as smooth and shiny as EEE and Shellawax (http://www.ubeaut.com.au)

cheers,

P

bitingmidge
26th June 2005, 07:46 PM
I think midges knob is a little bigger toooooooo! :D

Well yes :o :o , mine's 30mm diameter at the wide bit, and nearly 80 long.

But it's OK Grunt, size doesn't matter. (I read that on the internet.)

P

Grunt
26th June 2005, 07:55 PM
Well, I wasn't trying to get into a p!ssing contest but I've actually got 2 knobs.

bitingmidge
26th June 2005, 07:57 PM
Well, I wasn't trying to get into a p!ssing contest but I've actually got 2 knobs.

And the other one looks BIGGER THAN MINE!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

P
:D

ozwinner
26th June 2005, 08:01 PM
How come your piccys are still here??

My post about MFKL didnt have a knob within cooee ( unless you count me :o ), yet it got deleted
And heres your post complete with knobs, still active?? :confused:

Al, the confused one. :confused:

RETIRED
26th June 2005, 10:09 PM
I betcha doesnt do squat about this thread...
Wrong! Only just got home.

Caliban
26th June 2005, 10:19 PM
Midge I'm disappointed in You. I was expecting a laminated rolling pin style elipse thingy on the handle, but no, only a knob and a smutty reference to MFKL. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
You are the guru of difficult. What happened? :cool:

routermaniac
26th June 2005, 10:43 PM
I sad to report that my knob is worn out. I need a new one. I was wondering if any of you out there in wood turning land would like to make me a new one?

Grunt
Hehehhehehehehe. Sorry Grunt that post really cracked me up :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

bitingmidge
26th June 2005, 10:46 PM
Midge I'm disappointed in You. I was expecting a laminated rolling pin style elipse thingy on the handle, but no, only a knob...snip....What happened? :cool:

Jim,

I had a big clean up yesterday, ready to connect the DC, then woke up and didn't feel like it. Saw Grunt's post and thought I needed one of those.

What you can't see is that it is actually made from two pieces of 16mm flooring, and you can't see that because I was able to fiddle a bit and get the grain match pretty darned close to perfect.

Sometimes the difficult stuff doesn't have to look obvious!!

Having said that, I am not at all sure how the heat is going to affect the join, once I know..... well stay tuned sometime next summer!!!

Cheers,

P

La truciolara
30th June 2005, 04:54 PM
Australian Knobs are realy nice looking! Some warned out... :D :D