PDA

View Full Version : A busy time

turnerted
13th August 2014, 03:05 PM
G,day
Some time ago I got a call that a relative was taking out a camphor laurel and would I be interested.Silly question.
I got the call on Saturday night that the tree was down, so set off on Sunday morning for the 1 1/2 hours drive to the site.Cut some slabs then back home for a late lunch.Sunday afternoon cut out 3 bowl blanks then most of the rest was cut into billets.
Monday morning, cut one more bowl blank out then wax sealed two of the bowl blanks and the ends of all the rest.Put one of the unsealed bowl blanks on the lathe and cored out the first daughter bowl.
Monday afternoon, cored out the second daughter bowl then took three bowls out of the remaining blank.
Unfortunatly one of the blanks has a crack in it so I am hoping the mother bowl stays together.You can see on one of the daughter bowls where part of the edge split off when I was coring it.
I hope you find this of intrest
Ted

smiife
13th August 2014, 08:10 PM
Hi ted,
Nice pick up mate, well worth the effort
Love C.L.great to clear out the nostrils:U

Mobyturns
13th August 2014, 08:10 PM
You guys get good camphor laurel down there. Ours is generally a dirty grey & soft to boot.

mick59wests
13th August 2014, 09:45 PM
Well done Ted. You certainly make the most of the wood you get. I still have some camphor from smife that I have yet to turn - mostly as I am trying out wood from my own property.
cheers
Mick

Christos
14th August 2014, 11:37 AM
Of course interesting. Now will wait for six months to a year before you post the resulting bowl.

No need to rush, take your time. Us woodworkers are very patience.

powderpost
14th August 2014, 11:43 AM
Nice colour Ted, as Moby said, the camphor laurel we get up here has very little of those nice colours you get in the south.
Jim

smiife
14th August 2014, 09:05 PM
QUOTE=mick59wests;1798452]Well done Ted. You certainly make the most of the wood you get. I still have some camphor from smife that I have yet to turn - mostly as I am trying out wood from my own property.
cheers
Mick[/QUOTE]

Hi mick,
You should just get into it and make something
now , CL. is pretty foregiving and half the fun
is turning wet timber , I think it, s great fun myself
and at the end of the day it doesn, t work out it, s
only a piece of firewood:U