PDA

View Full Version : A present for my wife.

wilkeswood
15th August 2014, 02:42 PM
Hi guys,
I've been turning for a little while, and I've been making lots of random things and giving them away, But I haven't kept anthing for myself and especially my wife. I suffer from acute PTSD and the turning has been my therapy and she's been through hell with me and I want to show her my appreciation.
Yes it's a bit of a sob story but i'm very intent on giving her something to show her I appreciate her.:B

wilkeswood
15th August 2014, 02:45 PM
This is my latest item, it took me three days but slow and steady i guess hey.

Ilya
15th August 2014, 03:51 PM
Great vase, excellent piece of wood, maybe except for the crack (I guess in a finished piece it should be called a 'feature' :) )

wilkeswood
15th August 2014, 03:56 PM
Great vase, excellent piece of wood, maybe except for the crack (I guess in a finished piece it should be called a 'feature' :) )

HAHA Yeah a "feature" because I'm new to it I made the choice not to go through and get rid of the cracks in it cause I thought they gave it a bit more character

george mavridis
15th August 2014, 04:56 PM
I love the wood, the two main colours add contrast.

turnerted
15th August 2014, 05:09 PM
Looks good.Is it juniper?
Ted

wilkeswood
15th August 2014, 07:35 PM
Looks good.Is it juniper?
Ted

Ted, it could be juniper I actually have had it up in another part of the forum trying to find out what it is!

Mobyturns
16th August 2014, 12:09 AM
Nice work mate. Nothing like making shavings to escape the woes of the world at times, very therapeutic for all of us. Just watch out, sometimes you get to ponder "what happened to that wonderful piece of wood I had?" when you get to wrapped up in making shavings.

turnerted
16th August 2014, 05:23 PM
You don't mention what finish you put on it .A few years ago I finished a load of juniper bowls with DO and after a while they all became tacky.I ended up stripping all the DO off and finishing with EEE and Shellawax and that seemed to fix it,still I keep hopeing I'll find another load of juniper some day.
Ted

robyn2839
16th August 2014, 05:31 PM
great looking vase mate,what a lovely present it will be ,and you get something out of it as well,keep it up ..........bob

george mavridis
16th August 2014, 05:32 PM
You don't mention what finish you put on it .A few years ago I finished a load of juniper bowls with DO and after a while they all became tacky.I ended up stripping all the DO off and finishing with EEE and Shellawax and that seemed to fix it,still I keep hopeing I'll find another load of juniper some day.
Ted
Pardon my ignorance, but what's DO?

elderly
16th August 2014, 09:37 PM
Danish oil

george mavridis
17th August 2014, 12:19 AM
Thanks

wilkeswood
17th August 2014, 07:39 AM
the finish is 3 light coats of tung oil, and then finished it with the two part HUT sticks. I really appreciate all the love guys as i've only been teaching myself lathe work for 6 months. with a really old lathe and second hand tools that i've picked up for next to nothing my whole lathe set up has cost me $150. But the most cost to me was a bit of elbow grease and pulling everything apart and re-lubricating it all so it would work again. I've only just stopped using my cars carnauba wax and converted to the hut sticks cause i didn't know any better...