PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood Platter

brendan stemp
26th August 2014, 10:48 AM
A recent platter I finished. Made from 3 pieces, with the natural edge/sap wood retained. Voids were filled with gumnuts and epoxy resin. It measures 470mm diam.

Bruce White
26th August 2014, 11:07 AM
WOW! Now that is pretty!

Paul39
26th August 2014, 11:10 AM
Brendan,

Wow! That is nice. I like the dark, light contrasts.

george mavridis
26th August 2014, 11:26 AM
Brendan, for those that live in suburban areas where can we get gumnuts?

bench1holio
26th August 2014, 12:24 PM
Very nice Brendan!

Willy Nelson
26th August 2014, 01:09 PM
Brendan, for those that live in suburban areas where can we get gumnuts?

Hello George
Despite living in suburban areas, I would suggest that gum nuts abound everywhere. May I suggest a walk around your neighborhood, especially parks where larger trees may be found. Keep your eyes open whenever you are driving, out in the country, know anyone with a farm?
Willy

Willy Nelson
26th August 2014, 01:11 PM
Hello Brendan
Stunning looking platter, well done. What are the timbers? Black Wattle?

At the recent Perth Wood Show, I become what I believe to be the owner of the first Vicmarc Grinding system in WA. The purchase was partly due to your review on Youtube, which I need to look at again, so thanks for the piccy of the platter and your efforts on Youtube

Sincerely
Willy

george mavridis
26th August 2014, 01:46 PM
Hello George
Despite living in suburban areas, I would suggest that gum nuts abound everywhere. May I suggest a walk around your neighborhood, especially parks where larger trees may be found. Keep your eyes open whenever you are driving, out in the country, know anyone with a farm?
Willy
Thanks Willy. In my area of the gold coast it's mainly palm trees so not many nuts. I will have a look around some of the older areas.

Tim Creeper
26th August 2014, 02:12 PM
Very nice Brendan. Love the way you used the sapwood as a lineation.

cava
26th August 2014, 02:35 PM
Very striking! :2tsup:

dennisk
26th August 2014, 03:16 PM
Really like that,great idea. We don't have nuts like that around here but maybe something else would do. Love it, thanks for sharing.

turnerted
26th August 2014, 04:54 PM
A stunning piece Brendan.
George,how about sheoke cones,should be plenty of those where you live.
Ted

artme
26th August 2014, 05:39 PM
Gorgeous Brendan!!!:brava:brava:brava:brava:brava:brava

The wonders of modern resins !!

smiife
26th August 2014, 09:22 PM
Hi brendan,
What a beautiful looking platter , and very well turned
Looks great , well done!
P.M. sent!

Nanigai
26th August 2014, 09:44 PM
Even though there are plenty of positive comments I need to add my 2c as well. Awesome job, love it.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers, Ian

TTIT
26th August 2014, 10:12 PM
That looks absolutely awesome Brendan! :2tsup::2tsup: If I was a resiny sort of bloke I'd have a go at something similar - but I hate mucking about with the stuff :shrug:

Mobyturns
27th August 2014, 07:08 AM
Thanks Willy. In my area of the gold coast it's mainly palm trees so not many nuts. I will have a look around some of the older areas.

George, think laterally, plenty of allocasaurina's (beach sheoaks) down near the Spit. The pen turners use then in casting & produce interesting effects. Maybe the contorted seed pods of the wattles are worth a go.

Brendan,
Very striking use of the sapwood to frame the cast resin & to produce a quite dramatic effect. I'm curious how these will fare in the long term with potential wood movement. :2tsup:

Christos
27th August 2014, 07:44 PM
I like the way this has come out.

NeilS
31st August 2014, 11:42 AM
Brendan, another very successful variation on your gum-nut-in-resin design series.

I expect they will walk out of the gallery door.