PDA

View Full Version : Leady gear, heads up

hughie
26th August 2014, 12:57 PM
Finally got hold of a Leady chuck, managed to contact Bruce Leadbeatter the maker of the Leady gear. I had some trouble to start with so I thought he might have left us. But no, hes alive and kicking, but has cut back and just sells spares etc for the lathes, so no more lathes :no: So now I suppose they become collectors items.:2tsup: yay for some
I gather hes still selling his tools and will do so at least for the fore see-able future.

hughie
27th August 2014, 09:37 AM
I guess without an image it didnt happen :U

powderpost
28th August 2014, 08:03 PM
Woodfast sold those back in the late 80's. When they first came out they didn't have the cutters for the hole. The hole needed to be fairly accurately cut for the chuck to work. THe cutter was introduced later. They were supplied with a screw chuck and a box spanner to fit the screw chuck. They came in two sizes 3" or 75mm and 2" or 50mm. If you got heavy handed the centre steel cone overtightened an the small fin on the aluminium "jaws" would bust the edge off the recess. The centre 1/2" stud had an allan key recess that allowed the "jaws" to release. A good chuck for its time.

Jim

chuck1
29th August 2014, 12:11 AM
I've got those chucks! And picked up a faceplate for the second set of jaws in a box of "stuff" for $20 was very pleased with that score! Have you used it yet hughie?