PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah dish with lolly inlay

VikingCode
26th August 2014, 06:23 PM
I'm slowly getting better with bowl turning - understanding the best stance, ways to approach the wood with the tool, sharpening, etc. There is a lot to take in. While the results aren’t perfect, this was an experiment in using unusual materials to offset/contrast against the natural timber. It is nice to have a play with what does or doesn’t work in providing visual interest to work pieces.

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nep8rJuqK-Q) of the process (gosh I really messed up the epoxying, try not to cringe too hard)

george mavridis
26th August 2014, 06:50 PM
Would love to see it when it's all finished.

pommyphil
26th August 2014, 06:53 PM
Very nice, :2tsup: Looks great Well done.

VikingCode
27th August 2014, 09:29 AM
Would love to see it when it's all finished.
So would I! ;) I'm hoping to make up a longworth chuck next week so I can finish it off.

Very nice, :2tsup: Looks great Well done.
Thanks!

joe greiner
27th August 2014, 03:06 PM
See post #8 here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=161476 for an interim method.

Cheers,
Joe

VikingCode
27th August 2014, 05:40 PM
See post #8 here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=161476 for an interim method.

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks! That looks fairly reasonable. The only issue I've got with donut/jam chucks is I've got a MC-1100, and currently the tailstock just doesn't line up. I really need to get that sorted, but don't feel like taking the bus back to popsshed with a tailstock in my bag this week ;)

How well does that hold up without the tailstock providing support? :/

Sturdee
27th August 2014, 10:50 PM
With a donut chuck you don't need tail stock support as the work is securely clamped between the two disks, but you would want it with a jam chuck unless you use hot melt glue to secure it to the jam chuck and use masking tape to tape it up.

Maybe your tail stock doesn't line up may be because you had the head stock for outboard turning and it hasn't been set up accurately again.

Peter.

VikingCode
28th August 2014, 08:41 AM
Maybe your tail stock doesn't line up may be because you had the head stock for outboard turning and it hasn't been set up accurately again.

Maybe. I've tried, but will need to do a proper inspection of the base of the tail stock. I can line it all up horizontally, but vertically its off by ~3-4mm. I'll have to check whether its angled up or just plain ole cast too high.

Sturdee
28th August 2014, 02:57 PM
Maybe. I've tried, but will need to do a proper inspection of the base of the tail stock. I can line it all up horizontally, but vertically its off by ~3-4mm. I'll have to check whether its angled up or just plain ole cast too high.

Also check to see if you can raise the head stock with some shims to make them line up. The head stock may be easier as it's normally fixed in the one position whereas you move the tail stock.

Peter.

joe greiner
29th August 2014, 11:16 AM
You don't need the tailstock for the tape-and-disk method either. Just use plenty of tape. I still use the tape with my Longworth for insurance.

Cheers'
Joe

VikingCode
5th September 2014, 06:58 PM
Also check to see if you can raise the head stock with some shims to make them line up. The head stock may be easier as it's normally fixed in the one position whereas you move the tail stock.

Peter.

Turns out it was a bit faulty/out of alignment. Pops Shed blokes (James, and the second time with Josh) came over twice today, first to see if they could shim it, then to just replace the whole thing after hours. Can't fault that level of dedication to the customer!