PDA

View Full Version : My turning days are over

barry clark
29th August 2014, 06:58 PM
I have been turning since 2003 from a wheelchair. My carer(wifey) has conked out and I go into full time care in 3 weeks I have a 5 year old dvr xp in good condition,except for teknatools' wonderful decals,which I would have replaced if could obtain them.I have a nearly new Trademaster 8" grinder with a 180 grit ad 80 grit D-way CBN wheels, a complete Oneway wolverine system with Vari-grind 2. Tools galore from P&N,Thomson lathe tools,Robert Sorby a few cheapies too,D-way beading tools,roughing gouge.etc.The Thompsons are new with timber handles with Hoseluck handle inserts. There are heaps of 3inch square,some 4 inch square,myrtle,b/h sassy,qld blackwood Tassie blackwood,mango root,q/maple etc etc.heaps of lathe accessories,tool rests,gadgets to make pepper mills.Anyone wishing to get a full set-up disabled workshop or the gear can email me at [email protected]

wheelinround
29th August 2014, 07:23 PM
Barry sorry to hear of your plight and need to now head into care. Hope some one son snaps up whats on offer.

I to will go the same path.

Ray

barry clark
29th August 2014, 07:37 PM
Barry sorry to hear of your plight and need to now head into care. Hope some one son snaps up whats on offer.

I to will go the same path.

Ray

Thanks Ray,life's a b****.,hey

Jim Carroll
29th August 2014, 07:43 PM
Barry so very sorry to hear of your plight, I know you certainly enjoyed your time at the lathe.

We hope your future is still productive for you in some way and your wife can help along the way.

Will let others know of your sale and hopefully help in clearing out for you.

Please take care.

Regards Jim & Irene

Stephen Taylor
29th August 2014, 07:56 PM
Email sent Barry. i'm keen to have a look.

barry clark
29th August 2014, 08:44 PM
Barry so very sorry to hear of your plight, I know you certainly enjoyed your time at the lathe.

We hope your future is still productive for you in some way and your wife can help along the way.

Will let others know of your sale and hopefully help in clearing out for you.

Please take care.

Regards Jim & Irene

Thank you for the kind thoughts and your help over the years

issatree
29th August 2014, 08:58 PM
Hi Barry,
Yes, that's not the best news we've heard . Hope all things work out OK for you both.

Well I'm interested in the Grinder. Do you have a price on it.

barry clark
29th August 2014, 09:13 PM
Hi Barry,
Yes, that's not the best news we've heard . Hope all things work out OK for you both.

Well I'm interested in the Grinder. Do you have a price on it.

do you want the oneway wolverine sharpening system as well,all set up on a board,the grinder was stripped when new and have all the bits plus a blue max 54 grit wheel.hoping to get $800 the lot

issatree
30th August 2014, 12:51 AM
Thanks Barry, out of my league.

Skew's_Girl
30th August 2014, 01:10 AM
:(
Sorry to hear. Maybe where you're going can have regular outings to the local Man's shed?
There're always forum get togethers too.

I hope things take a better turn for you.

dai sensei
30th August 2014, 11:28 AM
So sorry to hear Barry. I know my club on the Gold Coast go around to many of the care facilities to demonstrate woodturning although we do more talking than turning. Perhaps something could be organised at yours so as to keep your interest going.

ajw
30th August 2014, 11:35 AM
Check out if the home you're moving to has a men's shed, or would be willing to set one up. Many of the homes have these now, and are an excellent place to spend some time with male company. They are generally furnished with tools and equipment donated or brought in with the residents. Your chances are higher if there is a retirement village on the same site.

All the best.

ajw

tea lady
30th August 2014, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear. You are a little far from Knox Woodworkers otherwise I would have said we would sort something out with setting up a lathe for wheel chair use. Maybe you can find something closer to where you will be. All the best.

Phily
30th August 2014, 06:56 PM
Barry, sorry to hear but please remember that there is a massive and growing interest in woodturning. You have over a decade of experience and a wealth of knowledge that you can use to help many others especially from the sounds of it, those like me who are starting to get dodgy backs and need to consider the future. Even if you have to stop physically, there is no need to retire. Please stay active on the forum and help others to understand and enjoy this wonderful hobby/profession. All the very best. Life is precious, enjoy every day :U

barry clark
30th August 2014, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear. You are a little far from Knox Woodworkers otherwise I would have said we would sort something out with setting up a lathe for wheel chair use. Maybe you can find something closer to where you will be. All the best.

Have replied to your email with address and phone no. details.My work shop is fully set up for wheelchair and has been since 2003 when I state turning. I reasoned pepper mills would sell,so have made 300-350 since I started.
Reckon you will be surprised

NeilS
30th August 2014, 08:23 PM
:(
Maybe where you're going can have regular outings to the local Men's shed?

My thought too.

Before you let the gear go, think about donating it to the Men's shed or Club near to where you will be living. I know the Shed I'm associated with would go out of their way to come and pick you up and give you a hand while at the Shed. They may even take you back to your residence at the end of the session...:U

Christos
30th August 2014, 08:53 PM
My thought too.

Before you let the gear go, think about donating it to the Men's shed or Club near to where you will be living. I know the Shed I'm associated with would go out of their way to come and pick you up and give you a hand while at the Shed. They may even take you back to your residence at the end of the session...:U

I think that's a good idea.