PDA

View Full Version : Dining table legs

chuck1
29th August 2014, 11:46 PM
A solid few days at the lathe photos of table legs only. Also turned 9 posts for a staircase, start the balusters on Monday
thanks for looking

Ticky
30th August 2014, 08:41 AM
They look great mate, are you gong to do a WIP on the table?

Steve

Stephen Taylor
30th August 2014, 09:16 AM
Love the legs, great shape and I find them appealing, in a manly sort of way. Hence my question. If you turn legs of any sort, where do you find the patterns? Are there books you buy, are they available on line, do you send patterns amongst your mates or do you find a nice shape on a table and pull your callipers out and take some quick dimensions as you walk through the shop. I'm about to have a crack at it and need a bit of help with this.

chuck1
30th August 2014, 11:27 AM
It's a design I modified from when I was an apprentice Woodturner , design can be hard that's why I'm all for drawing before turning, I still might change my mind on the first turning but sometimes it's not possible with restoration work.
there are some good books on design but at the end as long as your
curves are free flowing and you have a pleasing shape your on the good path!
sorry no w.I.p customer ordered legs at work and the job sheet had one mandatory field 130 mm top square.
When I'm out and about if I see some shapes I'll take photos for future reference. Sydney is a great source of shapes all the turning in The Strand arcade is inspiring.