PDA

View Full Version : Baby camera

bassmansimon
30th August 2014, 10:21 AM
I made a couple of cameras for some 1 year old birthday presents for some friends of ours recently.

The lens on one was cut with forstner bits, the other one was hollowed out with a skew and scraper.

Padauk lens, cypress pine base, merbau top, turned tasmanian oak button and spinning wheel.

All finished with several coats of shellack so that it is totally safe for bubs to play with and put in mouths etc.

dai sensei
30th August 2014, 11:12 AM
I hope those buttons are glued on well with a good waterproof glue, you would want them to come off :o

bassmansimon
30th August 2014, 11:49 AM
I hope those buttons are glued on well with a good waterproof glue, you would want them to come off :o

Yep waterproof glue. The bottom one is a ring which can't come free. The top one is turned in the shape of a nail - large on the top (to keep the ring in place) and then a long shaft. Glued the whole way down and a very tight fit - the pin of it goes down nearly the whole length of the piece. I couldn't force it out if I tried, so don't think a bub could pull it out.

Tim the Timber Turner
30th August 2014, 01:32 PM
For the technically minded amongst us, how many megapixels?

bassmansimon
30th August 2014, 02:28 PM
For the technically minded amongst us, how many megapixels?

Haha whatever the child's imagination can come up with. Probably something like a hundred hundred billion megapixels

crowie
30th August 2014, 09:06 PM
I have a grandson who'd love one of them...he walks around with a very old plastic camera taking photos of everything....well done, cheers, crowie