PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Shopsmith lathe?

tea lady
1st September 2014, 10:20 AM
What are they like? Been offered one for not much money. Unsure of which model or anything at the moment.
But looking at pics thought it might be more versitile than the Tough I have.

JDarvall
1st September 2014, 07:20 PM
Hi Tea lady,

I've got 4 and I love them. Got them each setup in different arrangements.

Got into them because I could get them very cheap. One I got for $100.

I'd go for the old ER versions (1950's to 60's). The latter models get too clever in my opinion and are harder to fix. Bit like how they started putting computers in cars. Your stuffed at trying to fix it yourself. Also the latter models are more lighter duty. More aluminium and less cast. They vibrate more like helicopters that are about to crash. Stick with the old ER's.

pro's
old cast iron. (so you can easily tap holes in the frame)

if into lathe spindle work the rest slides back forth very easily. Big time saver. Even really big modern expensive lathes often don't have this simple time saver.

cheap.
easy to fix
Good as drill presses and lathes, and disc sanders.
I can help you with parts probably as often when you get one cheap, bits are missing.
If you get a few, the parts are interchangeable. (been very handy)

con's
not good at bowl turning (too much vibration). which might put you off as I recall you do bowls. Well it can do small bowls. Not much bigger.

not good at table saw work (blade too small, not enough power)

not good if you like fast speed changes. You have to manually change the belts.

The whole multitool idea of switching between modes is silly and impractical. Better just to leave it as either a lathe,,,,or a drill press. …but the 12" disc sander is very handy for shaping, and it and its table are easily added when its in lathe mode.

I can't think of anything else right now.

just an opinion. I'm not a shop smith expert. 2 cents worth.

Paul39
2nd September 2014, 01:09 AM
Tea Lady,

I was given two by Asheville Hardware who couldn't get $200 each for them on a sale day.

I have taken apart the two power heads and cleaned them but have not put together and run either machine. One is good, the other has a Reeves drive pulley rubbing the mount.

Mine are variable speed with Reeves drive, which is a good system when working correctly and awful when it needs repair or adjusting.

The spindle is a plain 5/8 inch shaft. Everything mounts to that and is held on by a set screw. The 10 inch saw blade on that gives me pause. A bowl on that shaft held by a set screw gives me great pause.

The bed is long and made of steel tubing, so is likely to flex and vibrate in use.

My impression is that it is a cleverly designed, not well engineered, light duty machine.

With all of that, I found one with a a band saw, jig saw, horizontal boring machine, drill press, belt sander, lathe, & planer attachments for $395. I got it for my daughter who has limited shop space and does light to medium work. I suspect she stuffed it in the shop and has not used it yet.

Before buying I would run it in all its configurations and draw your own conclusions.

See: https://www.google.com/#q=Shopsmith

issatree
2nd September 2014, 02:45 AM
Hi TL,
There is nothing like a " Tough ".

Mobyturns
2nd September 2014, 12:34 PM
Hi TL,
There is nothing like a " Tough ".

Old cast iron is good! Keep your Tough lathe and enjoy the benefits of an additional machine with the ShopSmith.

Richard Hodsdon
2nd September 2014, 06:22 PM
Go for it. have had one since 1976 and use it almost daily, now not as a lathe but for woodwork. Used it for years as a lathe, but it needs n\more weight to make it stable so hand a shelf/box from the lower tubes and put a couple of bags of cement (2x50kg) on it and it wont move. Another way is to fill the tubes with concrete/iron chips to add the weight. Or replace the tubes with solid steel rods. Nothing will shift that then. If you look at Fine Woodworking you will see that one of the "great" turners in the US Mark Lindquist used to use one. Great machine well worth having one in the corner of the shop.

tea lady
3rd September 2014, 01:27 AM
Oh. Finally cam back to notice people have answered. Thanks guys.

I was kind of hoping I could do bowls on it so maybe not really suitable for what I want. Will speak to the guy. If he really does want to sell it I could maybe put it up here, or he could put it up here. Or something. :D

The Tough is alright, but can't do big bowls on it either. Now I have the variable speed midi Jet the others are feeling a little neglected. One gets spoiled. Bit it is still limited in the bowl size I can do.

Paul39
3rd September 2014, 09:45 AM
Tea Lady,

How big a bowl do you want to make? Below is my old 20 inch swing Woodfast short bed. I just LOVE it!

You are from the land of Woodfast. If that is enough swing, start searching for one of the pulley driven older ones. I recall there was a member here who bought and restored Woodfasts.

Here is an M410 with the outboard tool rest: http://www.pointfarmcrafts.co.uk/uploads/1/4/1/1/14119386/9040714_orig.jpg?1350309583

I do not need new or pristine to make turnings, I have several raggedy machines that look awful but do what I need them to do.

The really big swing bowl lathes are quite simple. See for a 40 inch swing:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd140/mikesche/Bowllathe002.jpg

For more: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=589&q=big+bowl+lathes&oq=big+bowl+lathes&gs_l=img.12...1796.7484.0.12578.15.11.0.4.4.0.279.2656.2-10.10.0....0...1ac.1.52.img..5.10.2646.WiH49tbk-Zw#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=c3HYW-3P1oORZM%253A%3B__LrqgG5fVhpuM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi227.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fdd140%252Fmikesche%252FBowllathe002.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.practicalmachinist.com%252Fvb%252Ftransformers-phase-converters-vfd%252Fvfd-short-stop-168088%252F%3B640%3B480

If one is careful with out of balance blanks, speeds of 200 - 400 - 800 would be enough.

I have been accumulating bits for a big one for years, but no lathe yet.

There is also the thought of how much market is there for a 30 inch salad bowl.

Could your Tough be made to turn outboard? A tool rest attached to the bench or stand with an adjustable leg to the floor can be made to work, as on the M410 above.

hughie
3rd September 2014, 11:10 AM
heres one on Ebay not too far from you, it needs a bit of work but the price is right, you would be hard put to get a better priced one. Conversion to single phase or keep the three phase it a simple process.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201160576958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

As Paul has said, great lathes sturdy and very functional. I have been looking for one like this (410) for awhile. It looks like a 400 and would be perfect for what you want. I think it will swing in the gap around 350.
If your interested the the year and model will stamped on the bed top right hand far corner.

Paul39
3rd September 2014, 11:38 AM
heres one on Ebay not too far from you, it needs a bit of work but the price is right, you would be hard put to get a better priced one. Conversion to single phase or keep the three phase it a simple process.

I paid $850 for mine and it did need some derusting and persuasion to get the live and dead centers out of the head and tailstock.

It does have a DC variable speed added in the US which needs attention.

Unless you have a single phase 240 motor under a bench, buying a Variable Frequency Drive for the three phase would be as cheap or cheaper than buying a new single phase 240 motor. Here 1 HP constant torque VFD was about $150 a few years ago.

In the US three phase 240 volt motors are common, AU may be different.

Single phase used motors are common here, 3 phase used at scrap price. I bought a 3 HP, 3 phase, 1725 rpm, made in US, Baldor motor, still in the crate from a scrap yard for 50 cents a pound.

Mobyturns
3rd September 2014, 05:20 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201160576958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

As Paul has said, great lathes sturdy and very functional. I have been looking for one like this (410) for awhile. It looks like a 400 and would be perfect for what you want. I think it will swing in the gap around 350.
If your interested the the year and model will stamped on the bed top right hand far corner.

Looks like the tail stock may be incomplete - appears to be missing the clamp plate assembly. Well worth looking at for the right price. New M910 VS unit is about $1300?

hughie
3rd September 2014, 09:21 PM
Looks like the tail stock may be incomplete - appears to be missing the clamp plate assembly. Well worth looking at for the right price. New M910 VS unit is about $1300?

Yes, I looked at that but that should be an easy fix, a bit of flat plate with a hole in it basically

stuffy
3rd September 2014, 09:51 PM
Missing toolrest banjo may be more of a problem.

Mobyturns
4th September 2014, 08:23 AM
Missing toolrest banjo may be more of a problem.

Inconvenient yes, not a problem as Woodfast still sell them

0130034 Toolrest Bracket 8" (200mm) Centre Height. 1" (25.4mm diam) Bore. $118.50
2830002 Toolrest Bracket 6" (150 mm) Centre Height. 3/4" (19mm diam) Bore $118.50
0130040 Camlock Toolrest Bracket - Heavy Duty - Suits lathes with 10" (250mm) 8" (200mm) & 6" (150mm) centre height $154

http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8

TL its a pity you weren't closer as I have a single phase 1hp motor off my M908 (from when I put on the M910 VS) that you could have & would get this one working straight away. I reckon its a steal. Even though it is an older lathe it will be a goodie after some TLC and a spruce up.

hughie
4th September 2014, 10:33 AM
Inconvenient yes, not a problem as Woodfast still sell them

0130034 Toolrest Bracket 8" (200mm) Centre Height. 1" (25.4mm diam) Bore. $118.50
2830002 Toolrest Bracket 6" (150 mm) Centre Height. 3/4" (19mm diam) Bore $118.50
0130040 Camlock Toolrest Bracket - Heavy Duty - Suits lathes with 10" (250mm) 8" (200mm) & 6" (150mm) centre height $154

http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8

TL its a pity you weren't closer as I have a single phase 1hp motor off my M908 (from when I put on the M910 VS) that you could have & would get this one working straight away. I reckon its a steal. Even though it is an older lathe it will be a goodie after some TLC and a spruce up.

Totally agree. I did up an old 400, great lathe only sold it as the swing was to small.

Paul39
7th September 2014, 01:20 AM
I was looking through a summer 1990 Woodwork magazine and found an ad by Craft Supplies USA for a Woodfast M400.

Specs were: Swing over bed, 16 inches; Outboard Swing, 20 inches; Motor 1 1/2 HP; Distance between centers, 18 inches.

Price $1695. In 2014 US dollars, $3089.78

The ad also said, "Early in 1988 Richard Raffan commented that the Australian made Woodfast lathe was one of the top two or three available to woodturners. Since then Woodfast has implemented several design changes recommended by Richard Raffan and Dale Nish".