PDA

View Full Version : Best glue to fix cricket bat

Bodgy
29th June 2005, 12:07 PM
Another stupid question for the collective wisdom.

I broke my cricket bat last week. The splice where handle is glued into blade has come free. It looks fairly undamaged and I think I can glue back into place.

What is the best glue? It needs to withstand the shock (when I occasionally actually manage to hit the ball) and I guess be compatible with the original glue used, as part of the splice is still firmly attached?

To get fixed professionally is around $50 and two trips to Parramatta. I'm sure I can do the job

Thanks

Bob Smalser
29th June 2005, 12:21 PM
Depends on what it was originally glued with. Some can be reglued and others require a freshly-jointed surface.

What does the residue look like? Dark brown crystals? Yellow plastic? White plastic? Hard red resin? Clear resin?

See my post below on glue repairability.

Bodgy
29th June 2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks Bob.

From memory the glue was not apparent hence I assume it was transparent. I will check when I get home.

Read your meticulous thread, very informative, well done. Lacking further advice it would appear that the West Epoxy is the best and safest bet.
Jon

Bob Smalser
29th June 2005, 12:55 PM
Actually, given the beating the stick takes, the best choice if possible is to joint the surfaces to fresh wood and reglue using epoxy or resorcinol.

derekcohen
29th June 2005, 02:21 PM
Hi Bodgy

My immediate impulse was to say West Systems epoxy, with which I have had a lot of experience over the years repairing custom windsurfers. But then I reminded myself that the cricket bat handle joint and design is over 100 years old, and I'm sure epoxy was not used in the original construction. Will epoxy withstand the shock and need-to-flex of the V-joint that connects the handle to the blade when bat meets ball. I have repaired a few cricket bats in the past that had this type of separation, but these were my young son's, and I very much doubt that they had to withstand the type of stresses yours will need to withstand. In any event, I just used yellow glue on those occasions, and that worked well (no come back problems).

Should the ideal glue must be capable of a small degree of flex, or should it be perfectly rigid? I hope that this does not confuse matters.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bodgy
29th June 2005, 04:31 PM
Derek, thanks

I believe the join should be completely rigid. Bat handles are laminated (cane?)with layers of (I think) rubber, and the blade is English willow. Plenty of give there. The constant shock is the issue. I use this bat in practice, an hour a week in front of a manic bowling machine, plus the game on the weekend, where (sadly) the duration of use is often shorter.

I will try the Epoxy. If it fails there's always the $50 professional service, and I have a few others in the kit.

In fact, maybe I should get a new one - its just like buyng tools!

Jon

Bodgy
10th July 2005, 03:56 PM
Went out to buy West epoxy glue or any epoxy for that matter. Not available in local shops inc Bunnies, they offered Araldite. So used a good quality PVA to glue up the half the splice that had split out from the body of the bat. Clean split, smothered in glue and clamped up. Put near fire for a couple of days (it was damp and raining). All seemed fine, played yesterday and it was as good as ever. Unfortunately I was not, so have yet to test for longevity

Since got the glue over the net ex Perth.

Bodgy

Bodgy
10th July 2005, 03:56 PM
Went out to buy West epoxy glue or any epoxy for that matter. Not available in local shops inc Bunnies, they offered Araldite. So used a good quality PVA to glue up the half the splice that had split out from the body of the bat. Clean split, smothered in glue and clamped up. Put near fire for a couple of days (it was damp and raining). All seemed fine, played yesterday and it was as good as ever. Unfortunately I was not, so have yet to test for longevity

Since got the glue over the net ex Perth.

Bodgy

jow104
10th July 2005, 05:43 PM

I broke my cricket bat last week. The splice where handle is glued into blade has come free. It looks fairly undamaged and I think I can glue back into place.

What is the best glue? It needs to withstand the shock (when I occasionally actually manage to hit the ball) and I guess be compatible with the original glue used, as part of the splice is still firmly attached?

To get fixed professionally is around $50 and two trips to Parramatta. I'm sure I can do the job

Thanks

Depends who are batting against. You will need Gorilla glue this year :D

Bodgy
10th July 2005, 07:52 PM
Woody, I love a sense of humour. If I was in the UK I could have have used flour paste, oh, except for the weather I guess.

Bodgy

jow104
10th July 2005, 08:04 PM
Woody, I love a sense of humour. If I was in the UK I could have have used flour paste, oh, except for the weather I guess.

Bodgy

the one day match due to start in about one hour.

WE SHALL SEE ;)

Bodgy
10th July 2005, 09:15 PM
We shall, but the Tests are the thing.

I think we are hijacking the forum, perhaps we need to phrase things in terms of the resilience of the willow vis a vis Tasmanian Stringy Bark!

Final word: if you're watching - Trescothick and Strauss don't seem to be proficient enough to get an edge - 4th over.

Anyway, yr wikkie comes from Toowoomba and Pieterson from Durban!

You have right of reply, before the thread gets yanked.

Bodgy

craigb
10th July 2005, 09:48 PM
You have right of reply, before the thread gets yanked.

Bodgy

Don't worry Bodgy, the thread won't get yanked.

It's a rare thread on this BB that doesn't get highjacked at some point in its life. :)

Poms are 3 fa at the mo. :D

bitingmidge
10th July 2005, 09:52 PM
End of over 15 (11 runs) England 45/3 (RR: 3.00)

End of over 16 (maiden) England 45/4 (RR: 2.81)
:rolleyes:

Grahame Collins
11th July 2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Normally I wouldn't answer a thread such as this, as I know bugger all about cricket and bats.
However I happened on a cricket bat repair site this morning while, looking for vellum to wrap around a knife handle (long story, too long for here ).
The gist of the info is that you can use super glue or PVC. Two pack is a Big NO NO as it does flex as well as the others glues Try google and stick cricket bat repair in the browser.

Best of luck chaps
Grahame :D

jow104
11th July 2005, 12:50 AM
End of over 15 (11 runs) England 45/3 (RR: 3.00)

End of over 16 (maiden) England 45/4 (RR: 2.81)

224 for 8

Looking up :)

bitingmidge
11th July 2005, 01:10 AM
End of over 1 (11 runs) Australia 11/0

Yep!

P

Bodgy
11th July 2005, 09:45 AM
Just as well I couldn't find the epoxy in our area and used PVA, who says there's no God?

Bodgy

bitingmidge
11th July 2005, 10:11 AM
... and proof positive that they play cricket in heaven too!

Now Jow, I know the result, but who won on the Gruntworth-Lewis scoring system?

I would have thought for sheer crowd excitement and tension, having more than one pommie batsman getting into double figures would be enought to tip the points your way!

Cheers,

P

Bodgy
15th July 2005, 07:14 PM
Had a couple of very solid net sessions and one brief innings with the rescued bat. The PVA has held the splice. The net sessions involve about an hour with a fast ball (machine) every 6 or so seconds, so I think the fix is permanent.

Might help when the kids cover drive the brick fence or any other adult cricket tragics who begrudge $50 for a bit of glue and a clamping.

Bodgy

craigb
15th July 2005, 08:36 PM
Had a couple of very solid net sessions and one brief innings with the rescued bat.

Where do they play cricket in Winter in Sydney, other than indoors?

Just curious :)

jow104
15th July 2005, 09:27 PM
... and proof positive that they play cricket in heaven too!

Now Jow, I know the result, but who won on the Gruntworth-Lewis scoring system?

I would have thought for sheer crowd excitement and tension, having more than one pommie batsman getting into double figures would be enought to tip the points your way!

Cheers,

P

This post has just come to light again on my O/E (strange that)..

Anyway congratulations , you fielding was superb.

bitingmidge
15th July 2005, 09:57 PM
Anyway congratulations , you fielding was superb.
Thanks, but my fielding wasn't that good, I fell asleep half way through your innings! ;)

Looks like we could be in for a treat over the next five or six matches I reckon.

Cheers,

P

Bodgy
15th July 2005, 10:01 PM
Where do they play cricket in Winter in Sydney, other than indoors?

Just curious :)
Craig

There is a Winter competition. We play every 2nd weekend, 36 over innings, 10 divisions, 10 teams per, retire at 40 runs, last wicket continues, only 6 overs per bowler max

http://www.redleather.org.au/

Interesting comp, sun's low, can't see the ball if lofted, hands cold, can't catch, council dont cut the grass - turns easy 3's into quick singles. Can't get 4's have to go over the top for 6 - good luck!

Only for tragics but beats the crap out of indoor or baseball

OOps...... is this hijacking again?

Bodgy

craigb
15th July 2005, 10:14 PM
Cool. :)

I've ever heard of it before.

Cheers
Craig.

PS The whole board is a hijack, so don't sorry about it :p

1st November 2005, 02:30 AM
An old thread I know, but just in case anyone came across this and cared:

the glue used in the cricket bat splice is Urea Formaldehyde PVA... found in bunnings etc. as Selleys 308 high strength PVA (3 part mix). It can be used on old joints or fresh timber to timber repairs, but must be given 4-5 days to achieve maximum strength at about 20 degrees celsius.

PVA is used because it bleeds well into the manau cane, and the open grain of english willow (salix alba var. cerealia), which when combined with the rigid strangth of the PVA forms a high strength/high stress bond.

Just in case anyone was wondering?

Anyway, pity about the ashes.

Bodgy
1st November 2005, 08:31 AM
Bit late for me, but useful for next time.

The white PVA I used has held up well. No signs of letting go yet.

harcx
1st November 2005, 08:41 AM
:D Woody
So there will be monkeys bowling will there?
HarcX
:D :D :D

1st November 2005, 02:52 PM
Normal PVA should work fine, just be carefull of getting it wet! That's when it'll let go. Not that you play cricket when it's raining heavy enough to soak the bat enough for the handle to go.....but stranger things have happened.

Best of luck with your game!

Greg

jow104
1st November 2005, 07:02 PM
:D Woody
So there will be monkeys bowling will there?
HarcX
:D :D :D

Well they did their job. Didn't they break one bat?

stevebaby
1st November 2005, 11:12 PM

Thanks
Fee,Fi,Fo,Fum.....the blood of an englishman.

1st November 2005, 11:46 PM
Bloody Pom's come out of the woodwork literally, when they finally (accidently) wield the willow with a little success!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon8.gif