PDA

View Full Version : Monster Headache

artme
17th September 2014, 08:21 PM
In more ways than one!!

Was turning a gnarly piece of very dry Red gum today with plenty of fiddleback.

Just cant get a good finish on it. Headache #1

Headache #2 happened after I made some fine dust with a scraper!! Horrendous.

Anybody else had this with red gum??

Allen Neighbors
18th September 2014, 11:31 AM
Don't know Red Gum from Purple... and I don't know if you're spinning the outside or not, but you might try what some folks call "shear scraping" with a very sharp scraper or bowl gouge. Takes a light touch and some fairly fast speeds in some cases. Just my thoughts about it.:?

turnerted
18th September 2014, 05:59 PM
Sounds like it's time you invested in a respirator.I got the message years ago when I had a sore throat next day after turning silky oak.
Ted

brendan stemp
18th September 2014, 06:09 PM
Don't know Red Gum from Purple... and I don't know if you're spinning the outside or not, but you might try what some folks call "shear scraping" with a very sharp scraper or bowl gouge. Takes a light touch and some fairly fast speeds in some cases. Just my thoughts about it.:?

I agree with Allen. Redgum responds very well to shear scraping. I turn a lot of the stuff and I almost always finish with shear scrapeing; before sanding that is.

Sharp tools is another necessity. And keep them sharp. Especially any tool you might use for the scraping.

Tim the Timber Turner
19th September 2014, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=brendan stemp;1807096]I agree with Allen. I turn a lot of the stuff and I almost always finish with shear scrapeing; before sanding that is.
QUOTE]
Hi Brendan

What grit size do you start sanding with after shear scraping Red Gum?

Cheers
Tim:)

brendan stemp
20th September 2014, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=brendan stemp;1807096]I agree with Allen. I turn a lot of the stuff and I almost always finish with shear scrapeing; before sanding that is.
QUOTE]
Hi Brendan

What grit size do you start sanding with after shear scraping Red Gum?

Cheers

Do you have any 20 Grit:D

Tim the Timber Turner
20th September 2014, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=Tim the Timber Turner;1807356]

Do you have any 20 Grit:

16 grit any good??

Available on special order only.

Cheers

artme
20th September 2014, 10:04 PM
OK you blokes!!

Thanks for the comedy!!

I was really more interested in the actual headache. You know - the one requiring several Panadol!

I was actually aware of the need for very sharp tools and the shear scraping. I have some strips of roadbase and tarmac for the initial sanding!!:D:p

I f I manage to finish the piece the result will be well worth the effort.

Pat
20th September 2014, 10:36 PM
Arthur, good dust collection, room filtration, a fan blowing the dust away from you, Positive Pressure Mask/Visor, Dust Be Gone mask - you got to stop the dust getting into your respiratory system and upsetting everything.

for Redgum ( E. concretous), I normally have about 5 gouges sharp and ready to go and if I get 10 minutes of turning out of them I am more than happy. As the more learned turners (comedians) have noted, shear scraping is the way to go. If you are getting dust, then the tool is not sharp. You should get "Angel Hair", not dust.

artme
20th September 2014, 11:53 PM
Thanks Pat!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

This is E. Camaldulensis but the same principal applies.

Will rig up a fan and continue the turning at home. The Workshop at the woodcrafters is pretty good but in some respects is also pretty crude.

Safety there is something I will have to work on.

Allen Neighbors
26th September 2014, 02:09 PM
About 5 years ago, I had a respiratory infection + sinus infection that lasted 3 months from turning East Indian Rosewood without any protection from dust. Now I hate to shave, so by "protection", I mean a fan or four taking the dust away from me. :)
I have a homemade air cleaner above my lathe (Boxed in squirrel cage fan that pulls air through 4 filters). I have a fan on a rolling stand over my shoulder that I place where it needs to be, right or left. I have a fan sitting on a refrigerator blowing the dust in one direction to get past my plastic curtains, and I have fans in the window that carries most of the dust out of my shop (The dust that doesn't settle on stuff, that is).:(
I've not had any problems since then, except when I was in Colorado turning in a tent without a fan. Then, I got too much dust from Bristlecone Pine, and coughed for two weeks after.
Hope this gives you some ideas...:)
Al