PDA

View Full Version : Vl240

turnerted
22nd September 2014, 05:28 PM
G'day
I am considering upgrading my old VL 200 delux variable speed to a VL240 ASM EVS and I am after advice from someone who has bought one . Access to my playroom is not good and I am wondering if I can get one in.
I know it weighs Kg250. Does it just come in one big box? I presume the stand comes knocked down and the componant parts could be individually carried and assembled in the shed. Is the bed,headstock and motor all one unit? if so can two people lift it on to the stand ? If its too heavy to lift ,would it be a practical option to hire an engine removeing trolly to lift it?
I would be greatfull for any advice.
If I go ahead, my old lathe will be looking for a new home.
Ted

Pat
22nd September 2014, 06:09 PM
Ted, I don't own one, but have used the VL240 and assisted in a "rearrangment" of a workshop. The lathe it self is a 2 burly bloke job or 3 man job. The head stock is blessedly solid and heavy. The stand is of reasonable weight, but easily managed by the 2 blokes. Apart from that, it is a smooth turning lathe, although I do suggest enquirying about if they will manufacturing the Swing Away Tailstock bed for the 240, as the Tailstock is beefy.

Woodturnerjosh
22nd September 2014, 07:13 PM
I just made the same upgrade but I bought a demo one from the canberra show and it came all assembled.
The stand is only bolted together and should be easy to take apart (I've already had the shelf out to put the inverter in there and that was an easy job)
The lathe itself weighs around 160kg so you would need a few people to lift it in place. I actually set up a chain block from an overhead beam and lifted the lathe off the trailer and drove the trailer out before lowering the lathe.
An engine crane could be a good option.
I've only just had the chance to have a play around with it and I'm extremely happy with my choice!

Jim Carroll
22nd September 2014, 07:16 PM
The VL240 comes all set up on the stand .

It can easily be seperated from the stand if needed.

It comes on a pallet so a pallet truck is all that is needed.

When setting up at shows we slide the motor end of the pallet , a couple of helpers makes the job easier, then it is tilted up so the pallet can be moved out of the way.

If on your own then a portable engine lifter can be used to lift of the pallet.

When delivered to you it will come on the pallet and we organise a tailgate drop so the driver uses a pallet truck to get from the truck to your shed, if able.

It is a stocky lathe which is why they call it the bulldog.

turnerted
23rd September 2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.I'll go and see what the local hire shop has in the way of lifting equipment.
Ted

hughie
24th September 2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.I'll go and see what the local hire shop has in the way of lifting equipment.
Ted

I hope Ted your pathway is reasonably flat to the shed otherwise its a bit of a challenge using a pallet truck over rough ground.

Jim Carroll
24th September 2014, 10:13 AM
I hope Ted your pathway is reasonably flat to the shed otherwise its a bit of a challenge using a pallet truck over rough ground.

Hughie it all depends on how well you flutter your eyes :D

If you can get the guy to back up to your shed it all the better.

Our driveway was restricted in driving in plus at some stage they had put down that pattern concrete which looks good but collects crap like you would not believe so our solution was to have 2 sheets of ply and move from one to the other, easy peasy :2tsup:

hughie
24th September 2014, 11:31 AM
Hughie it all depends on how well you flutter your eyes :D

SWMBO has been far more successful at that than me , must be the hairy legs ... :U

powderpost
24th September 2014, 04:02 PM
SWMBO has been far more successful at that than me , must be the hairy legs ... :U

But the good lady a razor....... :)

Jim

Jim Carroll
24th September 2014, 05:39 PM

Jim

Geez you sad that out of swinging distance :D

Christos
24th September 2014, 10:40 PM

Jim

My thoughts exactly. Then again I would have changed one word, But to Purchase. :U

turnerted
25th September 2014, 05:09 PM
Hughie
The route is reasonably flat but I have to go across about 10m of lawn.I would be using the two sheets of plywood trick that Jim described.It worked when I moved my table saw in. The bigger problem is likely to be the 300mm step up into the workshop.
Ted

Woodturnerjosh
25th September 2014, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure where you could hire one from (I borrowed one from work) but a scissor lift trolley (500kg one) could lift the lathe that 300mm. One of these http://reflexequip-px.rtrk.com.au/p/8476985/scissor-lift-trolley---manual---500kg---855-x-500mm-deck---900mm-lift.html You would have to be able to slide it off onto the next level somehow though....

george mavridis
25th September 2014, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure where you could hire one from (I borrowed one from work) but a scissor lift trolley (500kg one) could lift the lathe that 300mm. One of these http://reflexequip-px.rtrk.com.au/p/8476985/scissor-lift-trolley---manual---500kg---855-x-500mm-deck---900mm-lift.html You would have to be able to slide it off onto the next level somehow though....
Kennards up here have those for hire, from memory $40 or $60a day

turnerted
26th September 2014, 05:31 PM
I called in at the local hire place today and I think with an engine hoist and a lifting platform I can do it.A bit dearer than Geelong though,hoist $67.lifting platform $72 for 4 hours.
I might just check with one of the local removelist and see if they would be interested.
For someone with the right gear and a bit of muscle it should only be a 20 minute job.
Ted

Jim Carroll
26th September 2014, 08:10 PM
Most removalists still have the same problem getting across your lawn.

They move gear from a truck straight into your home and use muscle and hand trolleys not much else in lifting gear.

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2014, 09:50 PM
Ted

let me know if you need a hand
I can probably nip down (depending on day etc)
If I can't help I can at least get in the way!

turnerted
27th September 2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the offer Nick.I'll keep you in mind.
Ted

Paul39
28th September 2014, 03:21 AM
Turnerted,

Here are photos of a 1700 pound engine being moved on pipe rollers:

http://isserfiq.blogspot.com/2013/06/moving-day-for-wisconsin-engine-and.html

For your purposes, chain link fence posts are strong enough. Two flat stringers on the bottom of your pallet and a rolling surface of plywood or 2 X 6 inch timber laid down like tracks will make things easy. To get up the 300mm step make a ramp with blocks under so it doesn't sag too much.

I moved a 1400 pound 4 X 4 X 6 foot boiler from the street down a gravel & dirt drive, and into my basement by myself with two 4 X 4 inch timbers on the bottom of the boiler, 2 X 8 inch tracks, and 3 inch pipe. I used a 6 foot pinch bar and a hydraulic car jack for oonching and getting the boiler back on the track when it slipped off.

I'll be 75 in two weeks and still do crazy stuff like that. I don't tell my children everything.

smiife
28th September 2014, 08:20 PM
I called in at the local hire place today and I think with an engine hoist and a lifting platform I can do it.A bit dearer than Geelong though,hoist $67.lifting platform $72 for 4 hours.
I might just check with one of the local removelist and see if they would be interested.
For someone with the right gear and a bit of muscle it should only be a 20 minute job.
Ted

Hi ted,
I would think the engine hoist Idea would be the way
to go, removalists are exxe, $120.00 per hr and a minimum
of 4 hrs...If you have a decent trolley and a couple of burlie
blokes It shouldn, t be too hard,, thats how I moved mine
just my 2 bob, s worth:U

turnerted
29th September 2014, 06:23 PM
Well I'me just about to place my order and have just listed my VL 200 on the market place section . If you are looking for a quality used lathe that ticks all the boxes mentioned in Brendan's video,have a look.
I need the space to get the new lathe in.
Ted

powderpost
29th September 2014, 09:23 PM
Good luck Ted, I hope it all works out quickly for you.

Jim

jefferson
30th September 2014, 09:34 AM
Ted, we all hope you enjoy the new Bulldog. Did you get the extension bed too?

MrFez
30th September 2014, 08:47 PM
Just got an email from Timberbits, they have the VL240 on sale. Hope its not too late for you?

turnerted
1st October 2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the replys.
I will not worry about the extension.I have never turned anything that required the full length of my current lathe and it's only use would be to get the tailstock out of the way . Since the head can be rotated, banging my elbow on the tailstock should not be a problem.I can always use a fullsize lathe at the club on the remote chance that I need extra length. I did enquire about a swingaway tailstock bracket and was advised that the one from the VL300 could be modified to fit but will not worry about it at this stage.
I have ordered from Timberbits. I was only looking at their website for pen parts,which were out of stock, so I bought a lathe instead ,but seriously I have coveted this lathe since I first saw it and with their special price I decided to spoil myself.Now I just need someone to buy my current lathe.
Ted

MrFez
1st October 2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replys.
...I was only looking at their website for pen parts,which were out of stock, so I bought a lathe instead...
Ted

Reminds me of a friend who went out to buy a new battery for his smoke alarm and came home with a brand new Ford Falcon.

Enjoy the new lathe :2tsup: