PDA

View Full Version : where do people buy their glue in Brisbane?

mic-d
30th June 2005, 06:07 PM
I'm about to glue up another set of balustrade gates and am looking for a supplier of polyurethane glue. So... where do you get it and how much is it?

CHeers
Michael

bitingmidge
30th June 2005, 06:30 PM
BoatCraft Pacific Loganholme http://www.boatcraft.com.au/

Buy it in the biggest size you can afford, typically 5 litres is about the price of a 500ml pack at a hardware store.

Whatever it costs plus a few dollars postage (always less than the cost of fuel to pick it up!)

cheers,

P

mic-d
30th June 2005, 08:13 PM
BoatCraft Pacific Loganholme http://www.boatcraft.com.au/

Buy it in the biggest size you can afford, typically 5 litres is about the price of a 500ml pack at a hardware store.

Whatever it costs plus a few dollars postage (always less than the cost of fuel to pick it up!)

cheers,

P
Yeah I noticed that a 30ml tube at Bunnies was over $16!. How does it last after it's opened Midge?

Cheers
Michael

bitingmidge
30th June 2005, 08:22 PM
Most glues will last a year IF they are kept properly sealed, and stored sensibly.

Epoxy has an almost indefinite shelf life if it isn't allowed to get in touch with humidity.

For proper technical advice, (and prices) give them a call 07 3806 1944.

Let's know the current prices when you have!

Cheers,

P

journeyman Mick
30th June 2005, 11:42 PM
Some of the polyurethane glues have a very limited shelf life once the container has been opened as they are moisture curing and will absorb atmospheric moisture. If you're after epoxy glues there should be a local FGI (Fibreglass International) in Brissy somewhere. Maybe the Brisbanites (and coasties of both Sunshine and Gold persuasion) ought to think about getting together to do a bulk glue purchase. Epoxy is pretty cheap when you buy it in 20 litre drums.

Mick

Bob Willson
1st July 2005, 11:03 AM
I was chatting to the bloke from Boat Craft at the show and he told me a little trick to storing the polyurethane glues is to store the container upside down and then, if a skin should form, it will form on the bottom and not on the top. Seems to work.

Bob Willson
11th July 2005, 03:39 PM
Mick had a good idea here. Does anyone else want to join up for a bulk buy of epoxy glue?
The only other things we would need is some bottles that we could decant it into.
This stuff can be stored in icecream containers without going off.

Cost would be about:
40 Kg = $721.60 = $18.00 Kg
20 Kg = $370.20 = $18.51 Kg
8 Kg = $163.00 = $20.41 Kg
1Kg = $ 30.00 = $30.00 Kg

I will put myself down for 5Kg of the 20 Kg pack. Any more takers?

FlyingDuck
11th July 2005, 10:16 PM
Maybe, but don't know much about these glues having only used PVC before. What is the difference between polyurethane & epoxy glue? What are their relevant uses & which is better for what application?

This is a 1 part epoxy is it not?

bitingmidge
11th July 2005, 10:21 PM
Flyer,

Go HERE (http://www.boatcraft.com.au/adhesives.html) and read for a minute or two, most of your questions will be answered.

If not, ask again here!

No, Epoxy is not 1 part, it relies on a very careful mix of the two parts to trigger the correct chemical reaction.

Cheers,

P

bitingmidge
11th July 2005, 10:26 PM
This stuff can be stored in icecream containers without going off.

Bob,
I have this years supply tucked away, (and some from 10 years ago too) so wont' be needing to avail myself of this offer.

I would be a bit cautious about storing it in icecream containers, particularly the hardener. The only thing that can cause spoiling of the stuff in my experience is the hardener picking up moisture. Keeping it in a properly sealed container (which an icecream bucket is not) will prevent this.

Regards,

P

mic-d
12th July 2005, 05:31 PM
Bob, I don't have need for too much adhesive, so I will pass too.

Cheers
Michael

knucklehead
12th July 2005, 09:34 PM
Sorry I have come in to this late.

I have bought glue from "Nightingale Supply" in Northgate. These guys are wholesalers and they have some good products. Don't expect to see many names that you know (ie most will be a Grasp XXX). They are really good about finding a product that will fullfill your needs.
I recently got 6 ltrs of "Techniglue" epoxy (slow set) for $131.

Bob , this glue may suit your bulk buy needs. It is a 2 part epoxy, 4ltr and 2ltrs hardner. It is solvent free so that its shelf life should be pretty good.
The price for 6 ltrs is about $3 more per ltr than the bulk buy price.

Their phone number is 3260 6544