PDA

View Full Version : Small bowl WIP

george mavridis
1st October 2014, 07:39 PM
I have started a bowl made from laminated pieces of silky oak giving me a bowl 130mm DIA and about 55mm deep.
I have turned the outside but I am now wondering if I should round the base before taking it off the faceplate. The photo shows a line where I think I should round it.

Any thoughts or suggestions? All advice and criticism welcomed.

smiife
1st October 2014, 09:05 PM
[Qgeorgridis;1810837]I have started a bowl made from laminated pieces of silky oak giving me a bowl 130mm DIA and about 55mm deep.
I have turned the outside but I am now wondering if I should round the base before taking it off the faceplate. The photo shows a line where I think I should round it.

Any thoughts or suggestions? All advice and criticism welcomed.[/QUOTE]

Hi george,
If you have the faceplate on the headstock side
and a tenon on the other , I would say yes!.......
Thats how I would always do a bowl, finish off the
bottom, sand, and polish,, put some masking tape
or double sided tape around the foot, put in the chuck
and do the Inside,,,, bob, s your uncle.......
Hope this helps

george mavridis
1st October 2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks Smiife, there's a faceplate ring held by the on the headstock. There's a tenon on the bottom for when I turn it around. My question though was should I leave it as such or round the base over like the line I have drawn? Here's another photo showing how the side comes down at almost 90deg

smiife
1st October 2014, 09:55 PM
[Qeorge mavris;1810877]Thanks Smiife, there's a faceplate ring held by the on the headstock. There's a tenon on the bottom for when I turn it around. My question though was should I leave it as such or round the base over like the line I have drawn? Here's another photo showing how the side comes down at almost 90deg[/QUOTE]

George I guess that Is a matter of taste,,, do you have
a picture of the finished bowl In your mind ??
I personally would round it under ,, as the line
you have drawn,,,,, sorry I misunderstood:doh:

george mavridis
1st October 2014, 10:11 PM
George I guess that Is a matter of taste,,, do you have
a picture of the finished bowl In your mind ??
I personally would round it under ,, as the line
you have drawn,,,,, sorry I misunderstood:doh:

No worries, I've always had trouble putting into words what Iam thinking.
The picture I had in mind originally was to round it and have a S type shape.

turnerted
2nd October 2014, 05:27 PM
George
I think you should reshape it as you have indicated but you also need a foot to raise it up a bit or are you going reshape the tennon as the foot ?
Ted

george mavridis
3rd October 2014, 12:24 AM
George
I think you should reshape it as you have indicated but you also need a foot to raise it up a bit or are you going reshape the tennon as the foot ?
Ted
The tenon is there so I can turn it around to do the inside, it will be turned away after that.

george mavridis
5th October 2014, 10:22 PM
I ended up rounding over the base. Here's the finished item. Not real happy with it but it was fun to do. There's also another I worked on this past week.

smiife
6th October 2014, 03:02 PM
I ended up rounding over the base. Here's the finished item. Not real happy with it but it was fun to do. There's also another I worked on this past week.

Hi george,
They look good, well done!

george mavridis
6th October 2014, 03:38 PM
I need to learn how to take better photos....http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/confused.gif

smiife
6th October 2014, 03:53 PM
I need to learn how to take better photos....http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/confused.gif

Hi george,
Nothing wrong the photos just that the bowls
are a similar colour to the table and they don, t
stand out , try putting a light coloured sheet or
tablecloth on the table and take another shot
I have got some cheap coloured cardboard
from a 2 dollar shop , works a treat !:2tsup:

Christos
7th October 2014, 09:44 AM
Did you make it as an artist piece.