PDA

View Full Version : Scored

Ticky
3rd October 2014, 12:45 AM
We went to the Barossa Valley doing a little wine tasting the other day when I stumbled across a bloke cutting up a bit of fire wood.

When I saw what he was cutting up, I asked him if I could buy a lump of Red Gum off his pile.

He gave me 3 Apricot logs, 5 Red gum Logs & a blue Gums log.

Log is prolly not the word, but then neither is stick. They average about 250 dia by 250 - 300 long.

Steve

chuck1
4th October 2014, 09:32 AM
Is it still green? You might find they are abit short, and might crack all the way

Allen Neighbors
4th October 2014, 02:26 PM
Nice haul! If they're green, it's good! If they're dry, it's good! Free is good!:U
Yep, I'd blank 'em out, and dip 'em in wax, and then turn 'em when I got one of those round tuits.:)

Al

Bluegum
4th October 2014, 08:25 PM
Nice score Steve, you gotta be happy with that mate. Well done.

Treecycle
4th October 2014, 11:05 PM
Should get some sort of nice objects out of those Apricot logs. They look good just from the end.

Ticky
4th October 2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks people,

The Apricot is still a little damp, but fairly dry. I think it was cut down about 2 years ago.

The redgum, as I understand it, was cut down when the land was cleared to grow grapes, And was then used as the main stays in the vine runs, so pretty old and dry. I haven't cut a red gum open yet, but thats what the guy told me & he inherited the farm from his late dad, so it's been in the family for a while.

The bluegum... I have no idea. It looks pretty dry, has a big split length ways, but I will cut along that split.

I have started turning a bowl out of a lump of Apricot.. Great fun to turn. This is the first softwood I have turned & I am itching to get back to it. maybe tomorrow.

I'm not sure I am doing the timber real justice. I'm still new to turning & I don't have much of a sense of style. I really hope I don't bugger it up. Pic to follow

Steve

Ticky
5th October 2014, 10:06 PM
Couple of pics

Steve

chuck1
6th October 2014, 08:19 AM
Your bowl looks good! Old red gum turns really nice! I make lamps out of the old post I get!

Ticky
7th October 2014, 12:46 AM
Thanks Chuck

Heres a couple more after sanding. No Finish

Steve

Phily
7th October 2014, 09:01 PM
Nice one ! I missed out badly though - talking to an old chap on the weekend; he told me he'd just chipped his old apple orchard as the 100 year old trees (all 12 of them) were far too big !!! my chin hit the ground so hard I nearly knocked my teeth out :o

Ticky
7th October 2014, 11:34 PM
Mate, Thats Heart breaking