PDA

View Full Version : Turned York Gum Burl

Willy Nelson
10th October 2014, 04:40 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen

I turned this Large York Gum Burl Bowl 270 x 80 some time ago and have just finished with the Danish Oil. I don't normally turn the yorkies with a turned edge, they are either done as carvers or natural edge. I am quite pleased with it. The finish is 10 coats of Danish Oil
Willy

mick59wests
10th October 2014, 04:58 PM
Willy,

are you sure 10 coats is enough:D. What grit do you sand with between coats?

cheers

Mick

PS: I like the bowl

Willy Nelson
10th October 2014, 05:13 PM
Willy,

are you sure 10 coats is enough:D. What grit do you sand with between coats?

cheers

Mick

PS: I like the bowl

Sorry mate, no sanding between coats. All my stuff gets at least 10 coats, provides a nice sheen, is very hard wearing and I have seen some of articles years later and they still look good

Willy

mick59wests
10th October 2014, 07:40 PM
Sorry mate, no sanding between coats. All my stuff gets at least 10 coats, provides a nice sheen, is very hard wearing and I have seen some of articles years later and they still look good

Willy
Willy,

thanks - sounds like something for me that is worth 'having a go'

cheers

Mick

Christos
11th October 2014, 07:29 AM
My initial thoughts were how many coats of danish oil as to get it shinny you do need quite a few. When I use danish oil I normally stop somewhere about 3-4 coats for a matt finish but this really brings out the shine.

:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
11th October 2014, 09:00 AM
This is wot Willy does.
After sanding, I blast with compressed air to get of the dust off, especially with burls with open grain, gum veins etc. I then immediately seal it with 3-4 coats of Sanding sealer and then take it inside the house for the DO treatment.

I normally dip some some 0000 steel wool in the DO and work it into the timber, I immediately buff off with a soft rag and leave for 24 hours before repeating the process. Fresh air and a reasonable temperature is also required.
Cheers
Willy

Sturdee
11th October 2014, 11:26 AM

Willy

That's why I don't use danish oil. Way too much work involved. Instead I use Minwax Antique oil, apply 3 coats over two days with a rag and then polish on a buffing machine and it's done.:2tsup:

Peter.

Willy Nelson
11th October 2014, 03:12 PM
That's why I don't use danish oil. Way too much work involved. Instead I use Minwax Antique oil, apply 3 coats over two days with a rag and then polish on a buffing machine and it's done.:2tsup:

Peter.

Peter
I have used the WOP before, but never happy with the smoothness of the finish. I know my routine is laborious, but it ALWAYs attracts very positive comments from those who feel how smooth it is compared to other people's finish. A lot of people in my club, including a couple of full time turners are using the process I use.
I will use the WOP for things like cheese knives etc
Thanks
Willy

Sturdee
11th October 2014, 06:23 PM
Willy,

What I use is not the WOP , which is fine for finishing pens as it's a lacquer, but their Antique Oil (http://www.globak.com.au/SPECIALTY-PRODUCTS/Minwax%C2%AE-Antique-Oil-Finish/56/productview.aspx) which is similar to DO but easier and quicker to apply.

I bought mine from Carroll's but it does not appear on their website. When I was experimenting with trying out various finishes I found that the Antique Oil uses about a third of the DO coats to get an equivalent shine and the can lasts a lot longer.

Peter.

mick59wests
11th October 2014, 09:43 PM
Willy,

What I use is not the WOP , which is fine for finishing pens as it's a lacquer, but their Antique Oil (http://www.globak.com.au/SPECIALTY-PRODUCTS/Minwax%C2%AE-Antique-Oil-Finish/56/productview.aspx) which is similar to DO but easier and quicker to apply.

I bought mine from Carroll's but it does not appear on their website. When I was experimenting with trying out various finishes I found that the Antique Oil uses about a third of the DO coats to get an equivalent shine and the can lasts a lot longer.

Peter.
sounds like another thing to try
cheers
Mick

Willy Nelson
11th October 2014, 10:54 PM
:iagree::iagree:

Sawdust Maker
12th October 2014, 01:14 PM
noice

love york gum burl

smiife