PDA

View Full Version : No Catch Bowl Turning

brendan stemp
12th October 2014, 10:50 AM
Actually I have a number of catches in this video; all on purpose:D
My latest You Tube video. I have already received a number of favourable comments including this one:
<header class="lea">Sandells Woodturning (http://www.youtube.com/profile_redirector/109486201130109202131)2 hours ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBNAkRe9bxw&google_comment_id=z12buvyzlzavsxylu23bxx1qblyqhzvuo)</header>

Excellant tutorial Brendan, I'm very new to woodturning and I can safely say thats one of the best tutorial videos I've seen yet, Thanks.

I hope it helps some of you with your bowl gouge technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBNAkRe9bxw&list=UUYJ4e0XACGJQjJvfmVUcE-Q

artme
12th October 2014, 07:32 PM
Absolutely top video Brendan!! Thank you for taking the time to set this up and post!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Your large version wooden gouge is a master stroke - one of the best teaching aids I have ever seen in woodwork. It has enabled you to show very clearly where all the action takes place.

Also liked your use of the ruler to show angles.

Great stuphph!! Keep it coming!!

smiife
12th October 2014, 07:44 PM
Hi brendon,
Yes ,,have to agree with artme,
Great video , very informative , easy to understand
I think you must have been a teacher in another life?
Well done and thank you for taking the time to make it
and for posting, a lot of professional turners would not
bother to do that:2tsup:

mick59wests
12th October 2014, 08:54 PM
Brendan,

excellent video. Very much appreciated

Mick

dai sensei
12th October 2014, 09:12 PM
Looks great Brendan :2tsup:

Do you intend to show the bowl gouge being used for shear scraping too, for those nasty tear out timbers like Blackwood?

brendan stemp
12th October 2014, 09:55 PM
Looks great Brendan :2tsup:

Do you intend to show the bowl gouge being used for shear scraping too, for those nasty tear out timbers like Blackwood?
G'day Neil Yep, that video was tied up with this one but I decided to make it a seperate video because this one was getting too long. All edited and ready for release in a couple of weeks.

brendan stemp
12th October 2014, 10:01 PM
Hi brendon,
Yes ,,have to agree with artme,
Great video , very informative , easy to understand
I think you must have been a teacher in another life?
Well done and thank you for taking the time to make it
and for posting, a lot of professional turners would not
bother to do that:2tsup:
I was a teacher for close to 20 years until it all got too hard. A job best left to those more dedicated than I was. But you raise an interesting point. I think if you can explain what you are doing and why you are doing it then it means you understand it better yourself. Too much woodturning instruction is all about "this is the way to do it but I don't really know why". And there are astute students out there that will ask you a question that can really expose your understanding so you need to be prepared.

brendan stemp
17th October 2014, 01:21 PM
Part 2 to NoCatch Bowl Turning has been uploaded. I hope you get something out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBydG7sWSRI&feature=youtu.be

And please consider subscribing to my channel if you haven't already done so. You will then get notifications of future uploads; nothing more.

Phil Hansen
18th October 2014, 03:06 AM
Thanks.
Very informative
Look forward to the next episode.
Like So :)

Phil

Bruce White
18th October 2014, 04:47 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: Very clear and easily understood. Great tutorial!

Tim Creeper
25th October 2014, 05:21 PM
Well Brendan, I watched both videos. Good job mate. Very helpful and informative. Kept my att. right through.:2tsup:

Tim_N
25th October 2014, 06:14 PM
I watched both of the no catch videos the other night and put the techniques into practice just this morning finishing off the little maple bowl I posted in another thread. Very good videos ! I am also hopefully going to do some resin casting necklace pieces at some stage after watching your tutorials there. Great youtube channel you got going, am planning on keeping an eye on it for sure.