PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form

Tangoman
13th October 2014, 09:15 PM
G'Day Folks,

Heres a hollow form I made last week, New Guinea Rosewood and a piece of scrap for the spout. It was a @#$#@#@# to hollow out as you can see from the shape ! I am very pleased with it but am glad to have completed it ! It's going to my sister as a birthday present.

Regards, Cam

Oldgreybeard
14th October 2014, 08:31 AM
Lucky girl, I hope you are not going to be 'stingy' and give her the pen as well:D
Bob

brendan stemp
14th October 2014, 09:31 PM
I reckon you have done a great job on the bowl section. Great form. But I can't come to terms with the addition/spout to the top. It just doesn't need it. Perhaps a shorter or more squat version would be better. At the moment it is an innecessary distraction from what is otherwise a very elegant piece.

Tangoman
14th October 2014, 09:37 PM
Brendan,
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated ! I primarily went for the longer spout section to give it some height but I see your point.
LOL, I'll just have to make another and perhaps fit a smaller collar in contrasting wood to see what it looks like !

Regards,
Cam

george mavridis
14th October 2014, 09:53 PM
Cam, very nice piece and I agree the spout does detract. I've never done a hollow form yet as I'm still new to turning, just wondering how much did you hollow out? Is the wall the same thickness from top to bottom?

Tangoman
14th October 2014, 10:47 PM
Cam, very nice piece and I agree the spout does detract. I've never done a hollow form yet as I'm still new to turning, just wondering how much did you hollow out? Is the wall the same thickness from top to bottom?
George,

I managed to get the walls down to about 8 mm, they are fairly even but it's only the third one ive done. More practice needed and I will make a laser guide to help with the even walls.
Have a go at it George and see how you do !

Regards,
Cam

george mavridis
14th October 2014, 10:54 PM
I've got limited number of tools at present, what tool did you use for the hollowing?

Dalboy
15th October 2014, 01:18 AM
A great looking hollow form. Like others the spout is just not needed

brendan stemp
15th October 2014, 09:01 AM
Brendan,
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated ! I primarily went for the longer spout section to give it some height but I see your point.
LOL, I'll just have to make another and perhaps fit a smaller collar in contrasting wood to see what it looks like !

Regards,
Cam

I wrote my critque because I saw an impressive hollow form with only one comment. I think people were avoiding saying what I did so they said nothing. So, I am relieved you have taken the criticism well. For your 3rd hf you have done a great job so I look forward to seeing more.

Rod Gilbert
15th October 2014, 07:37 PM
Hi Cam,
At first I tended to agree with others with regards the top being unnecessary(as the form on it's own is a treat) but the more I look at the piece I feel the problem with the look is the transition between the curves of the form and the neck maybe try something with you're next hollow form you have done a great job up to now.:2tsup::2tsup:
Regards Rod.

Tangoman
15th October 2014, 07:58 PM
Folks,

Thank you all for your feedback and comments, constructive criticism is always welcome, especially when coming from those whose work is known and respected. I've got another piece ready to go -too tired tonight to make a start !-, I'll go for the same-ish shape and let you have a look when I am done!

Regards,
Cam

george mavridis
15th October 2014, 08:59 PM
Cam I look forward to seeing the next one. You are close to me, do you by chance belong to the Gold Coast Woodturners?

george mavridis
15th October 2014, 09:05 PM
Cam I look forward to seeing the next one. You are close to me, do you by chance belong to the Gold Coast Woodturners?

Tangoman
18th October 2014, 06:44 AM
George,

No, I am not a member at Gold Coast, in all honesty I shy away from Clubs in general.

I forgot to answer your query about tools from earlier on, I'll try to take some photos later today and post them for you !

Cam

artme
18th October 2014, 10:00 AM
Don't know how I missed this earlier on!:doh:

A gorgeous piece of turning!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I too question the spout, the form is justice unto itself.

Tangoman
20th October 2014, 07:22 PM
George,

At last the info on tools. I have four for hollowing but really use two mainly.

The top two are an Exocet and a Woodcut (proforme?), both of these cut beautifully when set up correctly and both feature a shielded cutter. They where bought in the 90's and have had very very little use but hopefully more use now !! I cannot reliably get either to cut well, it seems to be a combination of tool rest height, cutting dead on the centreline and the exact angle you hold the tool relative to the wood. I have been tempted on occasion to throw them in the bin with a very loud swearing session to boot !! it is NOT the tools fault but mine. I intend to turn a couple of open bowls with them so I can see better what works and what doesnt and then transfer this knowledge to hollow forms.

Next is a Sorby multi-tip scraper, again from the 90's, this is a great tool and it leaves a very good finish on the right timbers, particularly when used with a light touch. Equally it can be used aggressively to remove wood quickly. The moveable tip on this is great as you can use it straight ahead or cranked over to the side to undercut areas. The tool shank is flat on one side for scraping, it also has a cutter for sheer scraping using the rounded side of the shank. VERY useful, wouldnt like to be with out this one !

The fourth tool is homemade from scrap 3/8th" steel bar. I drilled the end at a 45 degree angle, then glued in the end of a 6mm drill and shaped it on the grinder. This is also VERY useful, especially for undercutting rims etc and cuts really well and controllably. For a tool that cost about $4 including the handle it is superb, I will make a straight one soon ! Given the choice I would go for a thicker bar section to help reduce vibration BUT this does restrict how small an opening that you can hollow through especially on a shape like the above. Also I would round over the corners of the bar so they dont cut when rubbing against the entry hole.

George, hope this answers your question ! PM if you want and pop over for a beer..
Regards,
Cam