PDA

View Full Version : New mini/midi lathe

rtyuiop
15th October 2014, 07:44 PM
Hi folks,

Apologies if this is a duplicate topic! Thought I already posted but can't find it.

I'm planning on getting back into turning after not doing any for 10 years or so. Was going to use an old Craftmaster CWL-1000S passed down from a couple of generations of family, but after spending a little time on getting it cleaned up, I think I'm going to turn it into a disc sander (or a boat anchor!) and buy something new.

I'm looking at something along the lines of a Woodfast M305 or Teknatool Nova Comet II, and there seems to be a reasonable amount of information available about both - but very little about the Pop's Shed 18*12 variable speed unit here:

http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=8&scid=56&pid=879

Anyone know much about that unit? Or have an opinion on lathes in this price range?

I'm a computer geek, so I do like the idea of variable speed and a speed readout!

Thanks,

Danny

Tangoman
15th October 2014, 07:52 PM
Danny,

I have a couple of lathes that I really like and recommend. You might like to consider the models that Gary Pye sells -
http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Lathe-s/GPW-25-30-Wood-Lathe-p770.html or http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Lathe-s/GPW-Midi-Lathe-p820.html

hope you find one you really like and welcome to the addiction of turning !

If you are near my neck of the woods pm me and check them out.

Regards,
Cam

VikingCode
15th October 2014, 07:54 PM
I've no experience with the lathe, but if you've physically close to Pops Shed I believe they do have a "try the tools out first if you want" policy. I can't say I've seen that lathe setup in the training room (its mostly the larger EVS lathes), but if you call ahead they would probably be happy to set it up.

I have a M305, and recently got the PS-Tools MC1100B. While the M305 is a better made machine, changing belts to change speeds gets... frustrating. However, that frustration is more pronounced now that we have a second lathe with some sort of speed changer.

Jim Carroll
15th October 2014, 07:55 PM
As you are in brisbane stick to your local product either gpw or woodfast.

Simpler when there is any warranty issues

dai sensei
15th October 2014, 08:39 PM
..Apologies if this is a duplicate topic! Thought I already posted but can't find it..

It was the very next thread on the list :rolleyes::U. I will delete it

rtyuiop
15th October 2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks all! I've added GPW to my list. I probably need to think more about my budget and see whether the teknatool is really doable.

And thanks to Neil for finding and deleting the other thread!

Cheers,

Danny

Mobyturns
15th October 2014, 10:24 PM
Always the Vicmarc VL150 if you are looking to spoil yourself.

One thing I have come across recently is a few comments about the cheaper generic lathes having problems with tailstock hand wheels parting company with the quill. Seems some are prone to shear through the casting where the retainer seats. May pay to look hard if you go for a generic model.

rtyuiop
17th October 2014, 07:07 AM
As it turns out, Vicmarc seems to be running out some VL150 EVS with a 0.55kw motor for a good price. I think I'll try compensating for lack of skill with an overly expensive tool!

rtyuiop
21st October 2014, 04:22 PM
Just picked up a (hopefully well priced) VL150, and planning to head out to the Greenslopes turning club this Saturday... I'm excited!

bosox
22nd October 2014, 08:04 AM
The lathe obviously looks solid. Hope it performs well.

Osbojo
27th October 2014, 02:58 PM
Danny,

I have a couple of lathes that I really like and recommend. You might like to consider the models that Gary Pye sells -
http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Lathe-s/GPW-25-30-Wood-Lathe-p770.html or http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Lathe-s/GPW-Midi-Lathe-p820.html

hope you find one you really like and welcome to the addiction of turning !

If you are near my neck of the woods pm me and check them out.

Regards,
Cam

I don't have one of these lathes, but I have seen them being used at demos and they seem to have more grunt than the 1/2hp on the Woodfast 305 for example.

Jim makes a valid point about warranty but in Pop's defense, I offer the following. I was in the shop a while ago and witnessed a phone call from a customer (in SA) who had an issue with their controller electronics. Brian informed the customer that he'd ship over a replacement unit and asked the customer to pack the faulty unit into the new unit's shipping crate and he would arrange a courier pick-up to return it to Melbourne all at Pop's cost. I was pretty impressed and mentioned it to Brian who told me that they also stock a full range of spares for their lathes from belts and switches to motors and power controllers, etc. I suspect that not many dealers would do that and having been in the electronics industry for almost 40 years can say that it is a blessing knowing that parts can be readily obtained in the event of an unlikely failure.

Jim Carroll
27th October 2014, 04:53 PM
Just picked up a (hopefully well priced) VL150, and planning to head out to the Greenslopes turning club this Saturday... I'm excited!

Well done went straight to the top of the heap.

Excellent choice , you will get lots of years of enjoyment from the VL150