PDA

View Full Version : Resin removal....Old Post

BlackbuttWA
22nd October 2014, 11:19 AM
Re :- the 2004 post on Resin Removal...

Guys recommend "Simple Green' from Bunnies.
There are heaps of different types for particular jobs. Which one did you use ?

Are there any newer products available now ?

Cheers
Col

dai sensei
22nd October 2014, 11:24 AM
Not sure what the 2004 post was, got a link Col, but I just use Acetone

BlackbuttWA
22nd October 2014, 03:13 PM
G'day Neil,

The post was from 2004......sh** that was 10 years ago.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=12981

Col

dai sensei
22nd October 2014, 10:18 PM
The link certainly helps, hmm nothing to do with woodturning :rolleyes:, anyway it was: I know you can use oven cleaner to remove pitch or resin off router bits and saw blades. Can you use it to clean cloth backed sand paper? Now the thread got into testing the green stuff that worked on blades but nothing really came out as to it working on sandpaper.

So are you asking for cleaning blades or sandpaper? His was sandpaper and never really got an answer :-

If blades, there are a few products around, I use some magic potion my local bandsaw blade maker recommends and it works a treat but I have no idea of name (I'm still travelling so can't look sorry).

If sandpaper, I use stuff like here http://www.garypye.com/Sanding/Abrasive-Cleaner-p344.html, but other rubber products also work (like bits off camping matts, the ones you buy in packs, either solid or with holes). Really only works on newly applied resins though, if left to set, they are stuck :(

Does this help?

BlackbuttWA
23rd October 2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks Neil, I was looking at sandpaper & bandsaw blades.

With sandpaper I usually use the abrasive cleaner stick, if that fails then the brass wire brush, if that fails....bin it.

Last year I was cutting some Pinus radiata on bandsaw, went out next day to find the blade was encrusted with "resin" which had set hard.
Ended up removing it with a Stanley knife. Just thought there must be an easier way.

Col

Christos
24th October 2014, 11:29 AM
.....Last year I was cutting some Pinus radiata on bandsaw, went out next day to find the blade was encrusted with "resin" which had set hard.
Ended up removing it with a Stanley knife. Just thought there must be an easier way.

Col

Now that's an incredible amount of resin. :C

Paul39
27th October 2014, 03:51 AM
Last year I was cutting some Pinus radiata on bandsaw, went out next day to find the blade was encrusted with "resin" which had set hard.
Col

A scraper gently applied to the blade behind the teeth while running the band saw would quickly get the resin off.

I would think that rubbing the blade with a candle stub, or silicone, or oil, before cutting would help keep the resin sticking as much.